Hello world!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zetieum

Reaction score
Hello!

So I am a home cook who got into J-knives after being offered a Hattori HD guyto by my brother three years ago. Before, I was an Opinel lover (I am still one). Since then, I travelled a bit in the J-knives world: learning, cutting, gaining skills, buying knives (I think too few, my wife thinks too many...), sharpening etc. I am quite deep in the rabbit hole. I am joining this forum to meet people sharing the same interest, hopefully in Europe and to learn.

On the personal side: I am French, but I live in Germany since 8 years. I am a researcher in bioinformatics, proud father of two, jazz amateur, good food and wine lover (french cliché), I bake (sourdough bread), I cook, I cut a lot of ingredients with my knives. I am a leftie, which is quite a pain in the knife world.

On the knife side: here is my current set
- Hattori HD Gyuto 240
- Konosuke GS Gyuto 240
- Shibata Kotetsu R-2 Gyuto 240
- Wakui W#2 Hairline Gyuto 210mm (custom handle)
- Hattori FH Santoku
- Takeda AS santoku
- Fujiwara Teruyasu nakiri (custom handle, would like to sell/trade it)
- kurosaki megumi nakiri
- Kitaoka left-handed Deba W2
- Hiromoto petty 120 (left grinded)
- Masakage Yuki 300 mm sujihiki
If you already have suggestion about what should be my next purchase. shoot!

On the sharpening side:
- I use a bit whetstones (1000/4000 grit from JCK)
- I use mostly a Wicked Edge (gen II), diamonds stones (100-1000), all the ceramics, strops (1µm and 0.5µm). I would like to get whetstones for the wicked edge, but it is too expensinve.
I would like to learn more on this side.

I am looking forward exchanging on this forum with all of you!

- mathieu

brianh: I play the saxophone (alto and baritone)

Marcelo: Yep, indeed, the "hello world" refers to the 101 programming. I am actually coding for my researches. For the Yuki 300, I just bought it. I need a little time to give you educated impression. But first glance: it is a stiff knife. And the look. Wow. Just gorgeous.

Back