Quantcast
Hominy. - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 37 of 37

Thread: Hominy.

  1. #31
    Senior Member Lucretia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Isle of Lucy
    Posts
    1,618
    OK, that was REALLY REALLY good. It was cold, rainy, and dark when the old ball and chain got home, and this was a GREAT dish to have. All the prep work was done and it was simmering on the stove, so it was just a matter dishing some up, garnishing, and grabbing a cold beer. The posole was delicious--dark and hearty and hot. We might back down the chipotles just a tiny bit more next time. We're wimps. But WOW! What flavor. Then there were the garnishes. I wouldn't have thought of cabbage with something like this, and we aren't generally radish fans, but they really added to the dish. Another surprising thing was just how pretty a dish it was with the garnish. An all-around winner. Looked great, tasted great. Really spicy and flavorful to keep your mouth happy, but sits well and sastifies that "it's cold, I'm hungry and need FUEL" urge. With just the 2 of us, there are 3 more rounds sealed up and heading to the freezer (this should freeze well) and another round in the fridge for later this week--I love things like that!

    We had chips & salsa on the side--I'm thinking some hot buttery cornbread next time. Amid the snorfling, slurps, and grunting, there were a lot of "this is GREATs" coming from the hubby. His comment: "You have my permission to make this again." (Translation: I LOVE this stuff. Please, please, please cook more!")

    Thanks so much for posting this!

  2. #32
    Senior Member
    bprescot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Edgewater, NJ
    Posts
    601
    So I did a variation on this for New Years and it came out great! There were, however, a LOT of variations, so I've still got to try the original recipe. But even so, that and the mole chatino were the hits of the evening!

  3. #33
    Senior Member
    sachem allison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    3,971
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucretia View Post
    OK, that was REALLY REALLY good. It was cold, rainy, and dark when the old ball and chain got home, and this was a GREAT dish to have. All the prep work was done and it was simmering on the stove, so it was just a matter dishing some up, garnishing, and grabbing a cold beer. The posole was delicious--dark and hearty and hot. We might back down the chipotles just a tiny bit more next time. We're wimps. But WOW! What flavor. Then there were the garnishes. I wouldn't have thought of cabbage with something like this, and we aren't generally radish fans, but they really added to the dish. Another surprising thing was just how pretty a dish it was with the garnish. An all-around winner. Looked great, tasted great. Really spicy and flavorful to keep your mouth happy, but sits well and sastifies that "it's cold, I'm hungry and need FUEL" urge. With just the 2 of us, there are 3 more rounds sealed up and heading to the freezer (this should freeze well) and another round in the fridge for later this week--I love things like that!

    We had chips & salsa on the side--I'm thinking some hot buttery cornbread next time. Amid the snorfling, slurps, and grunting, there were a lot of "this is GREATs" coming from the hubby. His comment: "You have my permission to make this again." (Translation: I LOVE this stuff. Please, please, please cook more!")

    Thanks so much for posting this!
    glad the old man is happy, even more glad that momma is happy!!

  4. #34
    Senior Member
    sachem allison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    3,971
    Quote Originally Posted by bprescot View Post
    So I did a variation on this for New Years and it came out great! There were, however, a LOT of variations, so I've still got to try the original recipe. But even so, that and the mole chatino were the hits of the evening!
    finally!lol

  5. #35
    Senior Member Lucretia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Isle of Lucy
    Posts
    1,618
    Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    glad the old man is happy, even more glad that momma is happy!!
    Well, you know what they say...if Momma ain't happy, NOBODY is happy!

  6. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    Well? I'm waiting!
    One year later and I finally made posole. Delicious. It was pretty spicy, I am glad I only put half a jar of chipotle. Accidently bought black refried beans instead of whole black beans. So I left them out.

    Thanks again for the recipe!



  7. #37
    daveb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Just outside Tampa
    Posts
    1,250
    I'm glad this thread got bumped up. Winter has arrived in Fl - locally defined as two consecutive days when temps plummet into the 40's. Wanted something hot, warm, and non-holiday themed. Son's posole was great!
    Dave
    Older and wider.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •