Trying to Stay Sharp

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlobalJedi

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

How I got here? My girlfriend is passionate about everything cuisine and one day hopes to either be a chef or work in the industry. She graduated with a BS in Information Technology so as a graduation present I wanted to buy her kitchen knives. I googled whether to buy a set (calm down, i didn't) or just a good chef's knife. But then something happened. I started reading more and more reviews, and each review brought up some other nuance or terminology about steels, grinds, construction, profile and stuff that simply didn't make any sense to me, and then before I knew it, I was staying up all night trying to understand the kitchen knife.

About me: I had a childhood fascination (every boy) with knives and swords and having moved around a few counties collected a few, ceremonial and otherwise. Nothing fancy. It probably had something to do with Star Wars (duh!). I have family members who are chef so while I appreciate the kitchen, and I really do try, I am not particularly good at it. I am, however, quite an asador (grilling) and bartender!

I am happy to finally join the community. I don't think I am knowledgeable enough to contribute, having like no hands-on experience, but I hope the questions I ask will help other clueless readers out there. I am sure I'll invest in cutlery in the future but until then I hope to stay sharp on this recently acquired knowledge and passion.

Best,
GlobalJedi

Welcome to the forum, and the fascinating world of high quality kitchen knives. It's great to do some research, and then give something a try if it seems like it might work. Getting something gently used on Buy/Sell/Trade here can give you some nice options, and most things you'd be able to sell for close to what you paid if it turns out you don't like it or want to try something else.

Welcome to the forum.
I have a Star Wars problem and have been in recovery since I got married 11.5 years ago.

FWIW - I would hazard to say "were all 'clueless' in the beginning" ... your are very much WELCOME!

Choice of knife is important but MORE important is what you will do to keep it sharp ... all of it is fun though IMO ...

Also your significant other should read / learn from the pros here ... it is not a profession to take lightly ...

TjA

Welcome! We're all wondering -- did you buy her a chef's knife or not?

Back