Another new knife thread

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKerr

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
looking to pick up a new work horse gyuto. Start of the year was pretty financially straining so I sold off anything in my kit that was of worth, so I've been using my Sabatiers for the last 6+ months and while I do enjoy using them, they just don't cut it in the kitchen I'm working in (pardon the pun). Thankfully, I'm in the position to start rebuilding my kit.
So here's what I'm after, but I'm open to all suggestions:
-max $500 AUD (around $400 USD)
-would prefer carbon, but I'm easy going
-no lasers. Prefer knives with a bit of heft.
-food release is important
-edge retention isn't a big deal for me, I have the luxury of being able to sharpen every day at work if need be. I'd be happy with white 2 or better.
-I would lean towards a 270mm, but would go for a 240mm so long as that was from heel to tip or it ran long.
For an insight into my work place, I work at a chinese restaurant (think **** loads of sliced ginger, chillies, spring onion etc), about 90% of the prep is cutting jobs, I would say fairly high volume (300-400 covers for dinner on the weekends).

With all that in mind, I think the current frontrunner is a toyama kasumi gyuto but I'm finding it hard to come to a definite decision. I've also looked at:
-Mizuno tanrenjo blue 2
-Ittinommon V2
-Fujiwara Teruyasu white 1 (pushing the budget though)
-and now that I think of it, I suppose Watanabe should be on the list too.

I'll probably pull the pin in the next week or so, but thought I'd check if anyone had some advice before I do so. I haven't been on the forums much of late, nor have I bought any gyutos in years I think, so I'm a little out of the loop.

Thanks in advance!

Josh

Kurosaki r2 western on knife and stone!!!! I just get one 210mm. Lol I believe you will enjoy the 240mm.

Kurosaki r2 western on knife and stone!!!! I just get one 210mm. Lol I believe you will enjoy the 240mm.

Aye, was looking through knives and stones earlier. I think the 240 is like $600+ though, which is pushing my budget a bit. I was looking at a saji R2 or AS as well, I've always enjoyed using his knives.

If you are looking for a Watanabe, how about a Toyama from Maxim? They are very similar in nature.

The toyama is what I'm leaning towards at the moment, I'm like 80% there, but just seeing if there were some other comparable options out there.

Oops, sorry. I misread. You mentioned Toyama the first thing ;-) If you're looking for a mint 240, ping me.

The toyama is what I'm leaning towards at the moment, I'm like 80% there, but just seeing if there were some other comparable options out there.

+1 for the Toyama. I own the 210mm, and it's a joy to cut with. The knife is sharp and has good edge retention with blue steel, decent heft, and great release.

Latest posts

Back