How to sell "cheaper" knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obsidiank

Reaction score
So now that I've started the process of leveling up on my JP knife game, I'd like to sell off my other knives like the Shun Classic and the Global G2. A quick search in FS shows that it's somewhat laughable to try and sell those here.

Does anyone know of a forum or group that's less "high end" in the knife scene where I may go to pawn my wares?

Thanks,
King

yeah, there's always the bay. I was thinking more personal where I could have an interaction.

With special interest forums it naturally tends towards the higher end products as people tend to be more discerning. I can't really imagine there being a knife forum where people excitedly gather to discuss Globals and Shuns.

Maybe one of the food, chefs or general forums would have a suitable b/s/t, but I don't think any knife specific forum would.

I think most people hold onto them as guest knives or give then away to family (that's what I did).

Well, you could try it here. I wouldn't buy them, but I've got a Shun Classic petty that I like. And I also think there is little wrong with Global G2. A lot of us tend to look down on it, but I think they're decent knives and I've actually given them to friends. Giving high-end expensive J-knives to friends is a bit of a pity sice a) they usually don't appreciate their value (I mean value in use, not monetary value) and b) they easily abuse them (chipping, rust). Global knives are a very good alternative.

+1 Panda

Family members you cook for or want to tempt to better knives.

A PIF to a young/new line cook would prob be most welcome. Shun and Global would be a sizable step up from the pos house knives most are using.

The amount you'll get for them won't be worth the hassle. If you really want to, try Craigslist, to at least avoid shipping and PayPal fees. But yes, go with the gift option.

Yeah I've sold off some knives on craigslist. You will get some lowballers, but if you are patient and set your asking price reasonably. You should be able to move them (in a decent sized city).

Look on facebook for a "group" dedicated to your local restaurant industry, usually they dont have a problem with private sales

Nothing wrong with keeping a few Global or all-metal Chroma around:

They are useful when you need something a bit sturdier,
You can try prep or sharpening techniques about which you are unsure whether they can damage the knife,
You can let guests use them,
You can use them as travel knives,
You can use them as outdoor knives (bbq, harvesting...),
You have something that you know will be ok with very reactive, staining or unsanitary ingredients,
You have something to compare, esp when people ask your advice on knife buying,
They - excuse the pun - rock as mincers if they are the more european profiles.

What about a 'cooking' or 'food' forum like Cheftalk ? People there would be into sharp objects, but not so obsessed as we are here as to turn up their noses at Shun or Global - they would probably appreciate a good bargain on 2nds of those lines.

What about a 'cooking' or 'food' forum like Cheftalk ? People there would be into sharp objects, but not so obsessed as we are here as to turn up their noses at Shun or Global - they would probably appreciate a good bargain on 2nds of those lines.

They have no effin idea about knives , laughing stock on my feed every day

What about a 'cooking' or 'food' forum like Cheftalk ? People there would be into sharp objects, but not so obsessed as to turn up their noses at Shun or Global
Lol. I was personally attacked at cheftalk.com recently when I attempted to discuss the benefits of anything more expensive than victorinox...i got a couple nasty private messages, from the board veterans there.

Really, i had the opposite experience, being attacked for opining that a vic and your best jknife are indeed capable of producing the same identical dish

Lol. I was personally attacked at cheftalk.com recently when I attempted to discuss the benefits of anything more expensive than victorinox...i got a couple nasty private messages, from the board veterans there.

Really, i had the opposite experience, being attacked for opining that a vic and your best jknife are indeed capable of producing the same identical dish

Maybe you guys were just arguing with each other? :justkidding:

Wow, sounds harsh. I have posted in the knife forum there and it's been fine.

"So you assume you would clumsily break the J knife before finishing the dish? Yeah, you're probably right" ;)

Identical dish maybe however what you cut with better knives will keep their textures , colours and juices longer vs Inferior knives

I don't think this is representative. I have read many threads on cheftalk where boar_d_laze is consulted on various J knives at length, and he is very well respected there.

I don't think this is representative. I have read many threads on cheftalk where boar_d_laze is consulted on various J knives at length, and he is very well respected there.
BDL hasn't been at cheftalk in almost three years.
But that doesn't address the issue of people who vitriously attack posters who value nicer knives, or those who tacitly support such attacks.

BDL hasn't been at cheftalk in almost three years.
Dang, guess I haven't been on that forum in a long time. He joined up here a few years back and posted a couple of times. My progression was ChefTalk --> KF ITK (primarily due to BDL's writings in ChefTalk) --> KKF.

I owe that guy a lot.

...like a bill for all the $ I have spent on knives the last 6+ years :D

Identical dish maybe however what you cut with better knives will keep their textures , colours and juices longer vs Inferior knives

I read an article about something to this effect… specifically for Japanese cuisine. Inasmuch as the final product is more influenced by the cut, better knives do make a difference. Not just the sharpeness as at the edge either, as wedging (one example) could affect the product while cutting

I bought a cheapo Tojiro usuba to examine the difference between mediocre and proper cuts. I hope the supported angle control allows me to get proper edges out of finer grits. It´s fun to me, to look what I can get out of a given knife. A lot of low end knives aren't scrap in any sense if used at the right task. The kind of mine surely will come out:scratchhead:

So why not offer your knives and you´ll see.

I read an article about something to this effect… specifically for Japanese cuisine. Inasmuch as the final product is more influenced by the cut, better knives do make a difference. Not just the sharpeness as at the edge either, as wedging (one example) could affect the product while cutting

Yes, but it is all relative. Can you tell the difference between sashimi cut with a dull knive vs a sharp one? Of course. But what of an adequately sharp sakai single bevel vs freshly sharp shig nos? No. Only vert experienced sushi connosseurs would know the difference. It is my experience that this is significantly less pronounced with fruit and veg and whats more the differences between a decently sharp and wickedly sharp knife really display themselves 24-48 hours after cutting (duller the knife the shorter the shelf life).

Why not ebay? You eat about 20% fees but at least it's sold.

@spoiledbroth can you tell the difference on even a home enthusiast cooks face after a 20-40 ingredient, multi hour project dish? I think a blind man can - ok with what went well, murder on her/his mind about what went difficult in one case, in the other, happiness with maybe a bit of an edgy chagrin :)

Back