Another Gyuto WIP

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessf

Reaction score
I got all these sweet belts from amazon, so of course I'm gonna make more knives. This one is 1095.

I used solid blackwood for the handle and I really like the simplicity of it. Naturally oily and dense. Well suited for a handle.

Only those who are pure of heart can see the hamon.

I love how that handle looks! Does it just taper at the ferrule or is there also an additional very slight outward flare/taper moving towards the butt of the handle?

This guy.

Now, if you can guess how I burnt the handle in you'll win a cookie.

Thats a beauty. Love how the lines of the handle flow into the choil. Elegant minimalist design of the handle matches the form of the blade. Well done!

There is a slight taper as you mention. I'll post more phitos of thr handle.

I love how that handle looks! Does it just taper at the ferrule or is there also an additional very slight outward flare/taper moving towards the butt of the handle?

This guy.

Now, if you can guess how I burnt the handle in you'll win a cookie.

Hmmmm, well if you didn't go with the old propane burner on the barbie route,

IMG_0526.jpg

let me go outside the box an guess that perhaps you used a multi piece construction.:scratchhead:

Almost there. Traced the tang and cut out a duplicate on a piece of scrap steel and used that in lieu of risking my finished blade. I could then heat the shape red hot, hotter than I would feel comfortable with a finished blade, then just tap the poky end into the blackwood. Made a lot of yellow smoke and worked quite well. I would burn in any handle this way.

Hmmmm, well if you didn't go with the old propane burner on the barbie route,

View attachment 32359

let me go outside the box an guess that perhaps you used a multi piece construction.:scratchhead:

Jess, that is a good idea with that duplicate of the tang. I would only voice what I have heard/read - be careful when burning-in the hanfles - in particular those made of hard wood - they can crack because of the heat induced mechanical stress.

That handle looks lovely.

Yeah I burnt into the block so it had mass and stability then cut the handle from that. This allowed me to carved the handle so that it was centered about the blade. It worked in the end

Jess, that is a good idea with that duplicate of the tang. I would only voice what I have heard/read - be careful when burning-in the hanfles - in particular those made of hard wood - they can crack because of the heat induced mechanical stress.

That handle looks lovely.

A little car polish and a spent piece of 2000 grit paper in my oscillating sander and pow

Back