BREXIT

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:curse:

Someone is relocating his businesses to the Cayman Islands. :running:

The run up always seems to harold the short. Should have known! Oh well.

As a firm european believer I am quite bummed out...these times call for more solidarity and cooperation rather than nationalism and separatism ...oh well ...at least a weak pound will make a knife buy from a certain English store quite attractive ...

Time to make a shopping list of English custom makers...

101 yen to US dollar
It was down to 99, but seems it recovered a bit. Gotta wonder how much lower it'll go when the u.s. wakes up, though. Although, from the Guardian:
Japan's finance minister 'very concerned'

Japan’s finance minister, Taro Aso has said he is “very concerned about the world economy” after Japan and other Asian markets suffered a day of turmoil in reaction to the Brexit vote.
Aso declined to say if financial authorities would intervene in currency markets after the dollar and pound plummeted against the yen, and the Nikkei 225 benchmark index shed more than 7% by early afternoon local time.

I was waiting for the results before ordering knives from Watanabe...I assumed the UK would stay, and I was hoping for a good upswing and a strong dollar; however, since its all going downhill, luckily paypal's conversion rate hasn't caught up, so I can still send payment using yesterday's rate ;-)

I am surprized and saddened - I hoped (and to be honest also expected) UK to stay with the rest of us. I wished (and still do) you guys from UK the best whatever way you choose, but I think it would have been better to have you on board and together make the EU better (and it needs a lot of improvements badly, no question about that)

It makes me wonder what is going to happen with Scottland and North Ireland ...

I am Scottish, but living in England, and wish to stay. But waking up this morning and checking the news is quite depressing.

Knife-wise, it's all bad... UK knivrs will be the same price and EU knives will come with import duty and handling fees :-( :-( :-(

Devon,

I would not be worried about the import duties - I expect that involved economical agreements (that are still to be made) between UK and EU and I expect that duty free contact will remain.

As an interesting and nerdy fact, I keep my knife collection in an xls, linked the foreign currency purchases to 'live' exchange rate conversions into CHF upon opening of the xls. My collection gained 211CHF just overnight. :)

Devon,

I would not be worried about the import duties - I expect that involved economical agreements (that are still to be made) between UK and EU and I expect that duty free contact will remain.

I was just reading today that if UK wants to stay in European trading area (or what it is officially called anyway) they will need to keep the same rules as now in EU: free movement of labor and obeying EU laws...
So what will then change fro them?

Not to pleased, myself, as a portion of my salary is paid in GBP, so just lost a bit of pay. Guess I'll keep in for a while and wait for the value to recover before conversion.

I was just reading today that if UK wants to stay in European trading area (or what it is officially called anyway) they will need to keep the same rules as now in EU: free movement of labor and obeying EU laws... So what will then change fro them?

Exactly. People can't always be relied on to be the wisest. (Consider trends this year on the other side of the Atlantic). Also, the UK would also probably be in a more secure stable state if their own choices continued to be moderated by a good dose of EU law.

Possible further repercussions people have speculated on: the United Kingdom, on the strength of 'leave' votes from England and Wales, ends up losing half its 4 parts as pro-EU Scotland and N.Ireland hold their own referendums to separate from the UK and remain in Europe. A United Irish Republic and Republic of Scotland? Wales is left alone with England.

Russia just built the worlds largest ice breaker that will open new shipping lanes in the Arctic

UK Boots EU, New deals coming up.

Forced immigration, terrorism and rising nationalism.

But best of all: Trump/Hillary cage match.

Fun times to come for sure.

Devon,

I hope you are right! All my steel and abrasives comes from Europe.

Lucretia said:
and not just in the EU.
Fully agree wholeheartedly!
Yup. Wholeheartedly.

Exactly. People can't always be relied on to be the wisest. (Consider trends this year on the other side of the Atlantic).

You're completely right. Which is why I am against democracy. Well, uhh... ****. I forgot what the alternative is.

I see this as a prime example of why the majority shouldn't always rule. Yesterday my IRA was almost back to its highest value from last year. Now it will probably take another year to recover from this.

Good luck to the Brits. I hope this works out like they believe it will.

My husband is retiring today and we're about to start living off our 401(k). Just in time for the markets to collapse.

I wouldn't be so gloomy
This is more opportunistic, if anything course correcting.
It will take months to see what the long term impact is and investments most make are more than 1-5 year yields

I see this as a prime example of why the majority shouldn't always rule. Yesterday my IRA was almost back to its highest value from last year. Now it will probably take another year to recover from this.

Good luck to the Brits. I hope this works out like they believe it will.

One needs to admit that the reason why you IRA was so high yesterday was the referendum - the financial markets expected to hear vote 'remain' and thus expected stabilisation of the situation. Also the exchange rate between Pound and Euro shows the same. I think however that we will not see any large fluctuations - UK will do all to hide/cover them as that would make 'leave' look like the wrong decision, which the upcoming PM (whoever that will be) surely does not want to.

My husband is retiring today and we're about to start living off our 401(k). Just in time for the markets to collapse.

First: congrats on retiring!

I think people need to be calmer with this. Markets are volatile, nature of the beast. The DOW dipped what, 3%? That's hardly a collapse and that might be reversed within a week...

I'm not even checking my accounts right now. Admitted: I have a good 25 years until retirement...

Back