Quantcast
Recommendation for Suji 270mm vs 300mm - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommendation for Suji 270mm vs 300mm

I have the "wall" space for the 300. I put my knives on the wall on a magnetic strip. The 240mm Gyuto feels great in my hand. I would be using that as my all-around knife. So the suji would be for slicing tasks. I originally thought about getting the 270mm, but i dont plan on getting more then one of one knife until i have one of all the sizes I want. So that is why I was leaning towards the 300 now.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac J View Post
    I have Konosuke sujis in both 270(HD) and 300(white)...and both are used as primary knives, not just dedicated slicers. Love both of these things, so its hard to make a call.
    Do you regret not getting the 300 in HD? I know whether something is worth it to someone is generally subjective but is the HD worth the premium over the White? I am sure they are both great knives.

Check out Japanese Knife Imports...Jon has a sweet Konosuke HD 285mm sujihiki with Gesshin handle. Supposedly only 1 of 5 made.

Since you have a carbon gyuto, is there a reason why you'd go semi-stainless on your suji?

I would recommend the Kono W#2 suji, over the HD, being that for a slicer I put ultimate edge/ sharpness over toughness. For a gyuto, I would probably go the other way...hence why I own an HD gyuto...

I like the long strokes of my 300mm Moritaka, by the way, never once thought it was too long.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

I don't have a suji (blasphemy, I know), but I'd opt for a 300mm. Personally, I tend to use a 240 gyuto for slicing an it does the job fairly well. Well enough that a 270 suji seems a little bit unnecessary. I, personally, have gone back and forth on whether or not I need a suji. Since I'm pretty sure I don't NEED one, I'll likely end up getting a 300 if i ever get the space, just to make it worthwhile. I just wonder how much of a gain you will get going from a 240 gyuto to a 270 suji. Here's a point where everyone can definitely chime in.
    However, sujis should be carbon steel. It just seems right, and do you think it's a coincidence that God made a Mid-rare piece of red meat the world's best medium for patination?
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post
    Since you have a carbon gyuto, is there a reason why you'd go semi-stainless on your suji?
    I have no apprehension to getting carbon steel version. I will probably get stainless knives eventually so that my girlfriend doesnt use my nice knives.

Well, there you go....I'd post in the buy/sell section your looking for a Kono suji first, as I bet theres a bunch floating around, as they were the flavor of the minute for quite a while (and maybe still are).... someones gotta be looking to get rid of one.

Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post
    Well, there you go....I'd post in the buy/sell section your looking for a Kono suji first, as I bet theres a bunch floating around, as they were the flavor of the minute for quite a while (and maybe still are).... someones gotta be looking to get rid of one.
    I will def put up an ISO. I am thinking about the Moritaka Yanagiba as well. But it would be quite a bit thicker then the Kono Suji so I am not sure if it would server the purpose. I have pretty much come to the realization that 300mm is the best bet.

I have a Moritaka 300mm, and although it is not "laser" thin, it is ground very well, and gets pretty thin behind the edge. To me the high hardness and Aogami Super make for the perfect slicer. This thing is probably the knife I get the most joy from using.

The Moritaka will give you a more traditional yanagi feel, but with a double bevel, and the Kono will give you true "laser" suji feel...