Recommendation for Suji 270mm vs 300mm

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spivy

Reaction score
So I definitely was bitten hard by the J Knife bug. My Moritaka SS 240mm Gyuto just came in and I am looking for my next knife. I am thinking about getting a Suji. More then likely going to get a Konosuke HD Suji, but the question is whether I should get a 270mm or 300mm version.

For the people who have the 270mm Sujis do you wish that you had that extra 30mm? And for the people who have the 300mm version do you ever think it is too much.

Thanks in advance
Ed

I have a 300 mm suji, and I love it. I'm a home cook, so I don't use it on a daily basis. But the length has been great for slicing pork shoulders, briskets, rib roast and t-giving turkey breasts. It's far too long for a 3 lb chicken, but for roasts, etc. the length is perfect for me.

I prefer a 270 due to lack of space and it won't fit in my block if it is longer.

The only reason I had to go for a 270mm was that I can't store a 300mm safely. Especially when cutting roast you will notice the difference. It's not just 300 vs. 270; you gain 30mm active length.

I have two 300s and often wish for a 330mm. But most of my gyutos are 270mm, so I am used to the extra length. If I had one gyuto and one suji, it would be a 240mm gyuto and a 300mm suji.

I have Konosuke sujis in both 270(HD) and 300(white)...and both are used as primary knives, not just dedicated slicers. Love both of these things, so its hard to make a call.

The 300 is the better option if you are just going to use it for slicing IMO, but I like the 270 for an all-arounder (even though the 300 is great at this too). Keep in mind, there is a much bigger difference in these sujis between a 300 vs. 270 than there is 270 vs. 240---the 300 blade shape is much taller throughout and tip isn't as nimble, even on a relative proportional basis.

I vote for 300mm. They run little hair short, and also because konosuke's knife thin and light, you might want to go with slightly longer one.

For dedicated slicers, the longer the better assuming you aren't too small for the knife. For an all arounder, I'd go for nothing longer than a 270.

For dedicated slicers, the longer the better assuming you aren't too small for the knife. For an all arounder, I'd go for nothing longer than a 270.

+1 on that - if you're gonna use it primarily for slicing, go 300. If you go the route of using the suji as a primary all around knife (which I don't and don't like the idea of), then you may want to consider the 270. If you're worried about storage space for a longer knife, consider just using an edge guard until you can get something better sorted.

I have the "wall" space for the 300. I put my knives on the wall on a magnetic strip. The 240mm Gyuto feels great in my hand. I would be using that as my all-around knife. So the suji would be for slicing tasks. I originally thought about getting the 270mm, but i dont plan on getting more then one of one knife until i have one of all the sizes I want. So that is why I was leaning towards the 300 now.

I have Konosuke sujis in both 270(HD) and 300(white)...and both are used as primary knives, not just dedicated slicers. Love both of these things, so its hard to make a call.

Do you regret not getting the 300 in HD? I know whether something is worth it to someone is generally subjective but is the HD worth the premium over the White? I am sure they are both great knives.

Check out Japanese Knife Imports...Jon has a sweet Konosuke HD 285mm sujihiki with Gesshin handle. Supposedly only 1 of 5 made.

Since you have a carbon gyuto, is there a reason why you'd go semi-stainless on your suji?

I would recommend the Kono W#2 suji, over the HD, being that for a slicer I put ultimate edge/ sharpness over toughness. For a gyuto, I would probably go the other way...hence why I own an HD gyuto...

I like the long strokes of my 300mm Moritaka, by the way, never once thought it was too long.

I don't have a suji (blasphemy, I know), but I'd opt for a 300mm. Personally, I tend to use a 240 gyuto for slicing an it does the job fairly well. Well enough that a 270 suji seems a little bit unnecessary. I, personally, have gone back and forth on whether or not I need a suji. Since I'm pretty sure I don't NEED one, I'll likely end up getting a 300 if i ever get the space, just to make it worthwhile. I just wonder how much of a gain you will get going from a 240 gyuto to a 270 suji. Here's a point where everyone can definitely chime in.
However, sujis should be carbon steel. It just seems right, and do you think it's a coincidence that God made a Mid-rare piece of red meat the world's best medium for patination?

Since you have a carbon gyuto, is there a reason why you'd go semi-stainless on your suji?

I have no apprehension to getting carbon steel version. I will probably get stainless knives eventually so that my girlfriend doesnt use my nice knives.

Well, there you go....I'd post in the buy/sell section your looking for a Kono suji first, as I bet theres a bunch floating around, as they were the flavor of the minute for quite a while (and maybe still are).... someones gotta be looking to get rid of one.

Well, there you go....I'd post in the buy/sell section your looking for a Kono suji first, as I bet theres a bunch floating around, as they were the flavor of the minute for quite a while (and maybe still are).... someones gotta be looking to get rid of one.

I will def put up an ISO. I am thinking about the Moritaka Yanagiba as well. But it would be quite a bit thicker then the Kono Suji so I am not sure if it would server the purpose. I have pretty much come to the realization that 300mm is the best bet.

I have a Moritaka 300mm, and although it is not "laser" thin, it is ground very well, and gets pretty thin behind the edge. To me the high hardness and Aogami Super make for the perfect slicer. This thing is probably the knife I get the most joy from using.

The Moritaka will give you a more traditional yanagi feel, but with a double bevel, and the Kono will give you true "laser" suji feel...

Back