Quantcast
The hazards of a local pass around
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The hazards of a local pass around

The hazards of a local pass around

I was interested in getting a little feedback on one of my recent knives. My next door neighbor is a local chef of some repute, so I asked him if he would like to try it out and tell me what he thought. It turns out that he is now teaching at a culinary branch of of an art institute and offered to take the knife to school with him to let the other instructors and maybe some students try it as well. I thought that sounded like a reasonable idea and went ahead.
    The feedback was very positive, but not very specific, no real criticism and praise for its versatility.
    Then I got the knife back. This is one with a mustard patina on the blade, and someone had cleaned the blade with sandpaper, it appeared, and removed most of the patina. Butt that wasn't the worst part. They sharpened it. From the looks of it, on a cement curb. You want a toothy edge? How about serrated???
    Deep scratches all over the sides. I had to take it to a 240 belt and spend some time to get them out. At least they didn't run it though the dishwasher.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

lol, that has SOS pad written all over it!
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***

That's so sad some people shouldn't be allowed to touch nice things

Lordy. You probably undersold yourself with the humility and whatnot. You gotta be a self-promoting ass to get street folks to take your stuff seriously, or else they figure you've got nothing on them and they'll show you how it's done.

Sucks, but at least you can fix it!

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    ...Sucks, but at least you can fix it!
    +1. Back when I didn't feel comfortable doing fixes on nice knives, I lived in fear of this sort of thing. It only takes one careless moment to get a pretty big chip or a broken tip or a rust spot...

... horror stories should not be posted goddamit.

Should've laid out some do's and dont's prior.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Crikey...those AI's are the McDonalds of trade schools.
    Hope your knife feels better.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Dooh! That sucks!! some people should never be handed sharp objects, sounds like this batch of students and "teachers" have at least a few of them in there mix!!

Bet ya dont do that again, without laying down some ground rules!

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Ground rules? I would just never do it again.