Quantcast
The hazards of a local pass around - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The hazards of a local pass around

I'm not going to subject another of my babies to that. I had no idea that someone would break out a coarse sanding belt!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    I'm not going to subject another of my babies to that. I had no idea that someone would break out a coarse sanding belt!
    I was always told because japanese steel is so much harder than German steel that it required the use of a 80 grit belt sander. DOH!

I just found out why the blade had been sos'ed and ground on. I cleaned it up and set it on the window sill in the kitchen, and used it today to prep some chili. When I picked it up with the sun on it I saw------- PITS on the surface of the blade! Like an idiot I assumed that an experienced chef and crew of instructors would have an understanding of carbon steel knives. Evidently it was allowed to sit around with Dog knows what on it and a good healthy layer of rust formed and was allowed to percolate for a while. So now I need to really regrind it to get below the pitting and see how much blade is salvageable. Here is the knife that I'm talking about, pre abuse:
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Crappy! Unbelievable!

I always deal with this at work. Just wipe it down, it's not rocket surgery.

lol, rocket surgery. You are killing me lately Eamon, that Hellen Keller bit earlier... good lord.

Handsome knife Spike! I like the slight rise on the handle.
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***

You have vastly overrated the skill and knowledge of both students and teachers at culinary schools. Sure, my school required me to buy an overpriced german knife kit and they kinda glossed over how to sharpen them, but no one there really knew what they were talking about. Most of the stuff they talked about were the same cliches about supposedly great cutlery we make fun of here. I didn't know how to care for a carbon knife when I in culinary school. Honestly, I wouldn't even let most professional chefs test your knives unless you knew what knives they owned and how they care for them.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    You have vastly overrated the skill and knowledge of both students and teachers at culinary schools. Sure, my school required me to buy an overpriced german knife kit and they kinda glossed over how to sharpen them, but no one there really knew what they were talking about. Most of the stuff they talked about were the same cliches about supposedly great cutlery we make fun of here. I didn't know how to care for a carbon knife when I in culinary school. Honestly, I wouldn't even let most professional chefs test your knives unless you knew what knives they owned and how they care for them.
    +1. I don't care if you're working in Keller's kitchen, it's always more often correct than not to bet that a chef doesn't know anything about high end cutlery. It could have been a lot worse; you could have actually sent it to a western knife guy/sharpener, and those guys can REALLY screw up your knives. I know it seems counter intuitive, but chefs and knife guys in particular are most suspect in F'n up knives.

At first I thought Phan was going with ANOTHER Helen Keller joke, then I realized which Keller he meant! Haha
    Hopefully the blade is salvageable, Spike. Stupid students....
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by phan1 View Post
    It could have been a lot worse; you could have actually sent it to a western knife guy/sharpener, and those guys can REALLY screw up your knives. knives.
    Unfortunately, someone must have let a "sharpener" have at it, as there were many deep scratches and a chewed up edge!
    Spike C
    Pirsig

I have kind of given up trying to show friends/relatives that there are better kitchen knives to be had.

1) A colleague at work showed some interest in getting a nice knife for his wife to use at home. They kind of liked the damascus look and ended up getting a VG10 stainless knife that was thin and sharp. Thanksgiving comes, they invite a bunch of people to their house and the tip of the knife gets broken off anonymously. His wife goes out and buys a Henckels to replace it. The VG10 knife is now sitting somewhere in their garage but they're not sure where.

2) I gave a Tojiro and a TKC to a relative who works as a chef. Fast forward a few years, he's so busy at work that he doesn't have time to do much sharpening, so he usually gives them to the "sharpener" who comes around and does them on a grinding wheel. I got to see and feel the edge he had on the Tojiro, it was quite awful. If you're going to be cutting with an edge like that, there's basically no point using a J-knife, a Forschner would do just as well.

In many situations a big indestructible "knife" is just what the doctor ordered, maybe something like THIS.