Future classics

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaVa

Reaction score
The Hattori KD hype thread got me thinking of which brands, makers/smiths and lines of knives would become the future classics and collectables and why? Doesn´t really matter if it´s due to hype or not, or if it´s justified or not, just that it happens.

There´s been some that have declined in intrest and some (few obvious ones) that have peaked.

So which ones will start to appreciate in the future? Thoughts?

Not sure about the "young smith" argument. Yes, you can get in early and pay a lower price. But you are also possibly looking at someone making knives for another 30-40 years. I think the price will most likely really go up if the maker stops making knives or passes away. So I would bet on older Japanese makers who don't have anyone taking over their shops when they retire ...

Certain makers will become popular and command high prices for their knives. However, predicting the future is a crapshoot. Say there were 100 custom kitchen knife makers before Kramer became famous. You could not have predicted in advance which one of them would be able to charge 25K$ per knife. Collecting various makers of kitchen knives is not a way to get rich. Buy knives you enjoy using (or collecting) and invest your money elsewhere. Or buy a lottery ticket.:2cents:

Kurosaki. I love his knives. He is quite young, already very talented. He tries new things but still in the tradition. Imagine what he will do in 10 years.

Does Kato have an apprentice? It's easily to buy knives that will hold value rather than speculate what will skyrocket in price..

Great conversation! :doublethumbsup:

I don´t think any of the KD owners are getting rich with their knives? If they are, great for them!
But for me I was thinking more about how it would be cool to own a knife like that (with a little luck).

Even if the appreciation would be from 300$ to 1500$. It doesn´t make you rich, but it would be cool to have such a rare highly regarded piece as part of the collection. it´s definitely a crapshoot to land one and everyone will have their view of what that could be. That´s what makes it an interesting topic for me.

Having said all that. As a chef, knives are tools for me. They gotta work hard for their spot in the roll or they gotta go! :lol2:

Top three IMO…

Kato
6F4C993E-5846-48A6-AD88-7C724C600E6D_zpsb7kkmun4.jpg

Shigefusa
13F1B4DF-F736-4CBD-919F-8643D34B62AA_zps1lawuadq.jpg

Tsukasa Hinoura
FDB5B8BC-7307-4744-9571-7AB4ABC953C2_zpsvzn4gsnw.jpg

These are all mine! :nunchucks: :pirate1:

Can did Kramer's original knives actually appreciate?

The thing with new makers and getting in early is you are getting their learning experience... so may always have a stigma of "not as good".

Can did Kramer's original knives actually appreciate?

The thing with new makers and getting in early is you are getting their learning experience... so may always have a stigma of "not as good".

I suppose that could be arbitrary though… I don't think Kramer's work suddenly got 1000x better overnight; on a similar note, it seems that the opposite may be true if you consider Shigefusa NOS.

I'm guessing if you had an oldschool Kramer it's worth the same as a modern Kramer, 99% of people wouldn't be able to tell the difference, I know I couldn't.

Probably Matus, come to think of it. :doublethumbsup:

And to be clear, I mean that strictly as a compliment!

How about Carters? I think his work could be one to appreciate over time.

What about Takamura? Their stuff seems be widely respected and loved.

I also agree on Tsukasa Hinoura. He makes quite unique knife. He has also experimented a lot in heat treat (apparently). He seems well respected, and his knives already worth a lot of $. Now, it may not become "classic".

Future classics.
I would presume Tanaka R2 Damascus would fall into the Hattori KD catigory.
really any "great smith' or "great blades" - Preferably the best blade line from the best smiths would go up in price

really collectors often collect in categories, and will pay based on rarity. Like the rolex or ferrari guy, both looking for the piece with a story, and that is rare.
That being said my ashi hamono ( now retired, was the konosuke president from my understanding) honyaki white paper steel folded with minute aspects of the folds seen in the blade, will presumably go up in price. Unless he is completely forgotten about which i will probably buy a few more haha.

Didn't even know that he did folded white steel, sounds amazing. Any pictures? =)

Future classics.
I would presume Tanaka R2 Damascus would fall into the Hattori KD catigory.
really any "great smith' or "great blades" - Preferably the best blade line from the best smiths would go up in price

really collectors often collect in categories, and will pay based on rarity. Like the rolex or ferrari guy, both looking for the piece with a story, and that is rare.
That being said my ashi hamono ( now retired, was the konosuke president from my understanding) honyaki white paper steel folded with minute aspects of the folds seen in the blade, will presumably go up in price. Unless he is completely forgotten about which i will probably buy a few more haha.

Future classics.
ashi hamono ( now retired, was the konosuke president from my understanding)

FYI, this is not correct. He was not the president of konosuke at any time, nor is he retired. He has, however, stopped making honyaki knives.

Probably Matus, come to think of it. :doublethumbsup:

And to be clear, I mean that strictly as a compliment!

Now what should I say to that - I have only finished one (1) knife in 3 months. If anything can be said based in that is that my knives will probably be very ... rare :D

Now what should I say to that - I have only finished one (1) knife in 3 months. If anything can be said based in that is that my knives will probably be very ... rare :D

Hey, it's a nice knife. And truly one-of-a-kind. :)

No seriously I wish I could make myself a knife. I'd drive the girl crazy wallpapering the place with them...

FYI, this is not correct. He was not the president of konosuke at any time, nor is he retired. He has, however, stopped making honyaki knives.

Jon, do you know if he is back making single bevels; since he stopped taking direct orders from customers?

Based on the thread matus knife got quite a potential in a rarity aspect >)

Jon, do you know if he is back making single bevels; since he stopped taking direct orders from customers?

Based on the thread matus knife got quite a potential in a rarity aspect >)

He is not, and will likely not be again

Latest posts

Back