Bulat on KickStarter

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like the same crap I used to see in big box stores 10+ years ago before I knew what good knives were.

Looks like a VG10 damascus wusthof. Wouldn't be bad for people who are set on a German knife profile

Well, who hasn't used a Shun and thought, "Gosh, if only this thing had a full bolster, it would the holy grail!"

Meh, for 80 bucks you could do a hell of a lot worse, will I be buying one... no, is it better than my grandmas knives... probably. Honestly if they took the full bolster off, I would probably get them all one, it's something an older person would like, looks ergonomic and has a lower hrc, so it probably wouldn't be ultra fragile. Probably on par with an FKM stainless or the likes.

But why would they use a name 'bulat' for it? To my knowledge that is how wootz steel is called in Russia ...

How is it possible for this many people to sell this many crummy knives on Kickstarter? This kind of thing just keeps getting posted over and over.

210000 already for ... just another VG10 damascus? Don't mind VG10 damascus, but there is no lack of makers in that segment. And the price doesn't look uncommon either; actually, going for that low a hardness but that sturdy an edge seems a bit underwhelming.

And calling anything bulat that isn't made of bulat ... you have my respect. Errr, make that "have some respect". Something like that on the market will make it more difficult in the future for people who want an actual bulat knife. I know, we are in a society where we are entitled to wear whatever sports team or band on our shirts without even giving a tentative damn about music or sports, and insult anyone who actually mistakes it for a certain taste in music or sports expressed in that fashion statement... but honestly, it sucks that way and has sucked for a while now. That merciless "who cares about the roots when there is a bigger market for firewood" attitude is kind of fascinating, spitefully empowering, kind of a turnon to the nihilist in you, but... toxic. Stop stuffing channels.

Another $20 OEM 1000/6000 stone on the market could be positive news though. But why a goal of $300000 before doing the stone... either you make a better stone for VG10 than what exists (I think if that's your plan, now you're talking, bugger the knife and do the stone!) or all that will be done and should be done is researching an OEM contract.

The guy's voice sounds like that of an 18 year old trying to talk his girlfriend into doing something wierd in the bedroom. *shudders!*

Besides being soft VG-10 with a ton of belly, a full bolster, and a pile of breathless hype?

(removed for lack of civility, sorry)

Last edited:
I highly doubt anyone here is going to buy one just to have "useful knowledge" that it's not what they want. Are you going to buy one?

Hehe, that could be an interesting marketing strategy ... "You want to buy one, so you can tell everyone with certainty and confidence that it is subpar/entry level/a trainwreck"...

I don't understand why these Kickstarters get so much hate from this forum. Their product isn't designed to meet the needs or wants of a kitchen knife enthusiast. On the other hand a Shig, Kato, and most of the respected knives around here probably wouldn't be well received the general public due to maintenance and need for proper handling.
Two different types of buyers and two different types of products.

I don't understand why these Kickstarters get so much hate from this forum. Their product isn't designed to meet the needs or wants of a kitchen knife enthusiast. On the other hand a Shig, Kato, and most of the respected knives around here probably wouldn't be well received the general public due to maintenance and need for proper handling.

I'm very tempted to do one myself. $211,000 is nothing to be sneezed at, they must be doing something right.

I'm very tempted to do one myself. $211,000 is nothing to be sneezed at, they must be doing something right.

I'd actually be interested in seeing what you or another respected maker could accomplish, though I'd worry about how you intended to produce that many knives in a reasonable amount of time. My issues with the Kickstarter knives is what do they actually bring to the table over any other VG10 knife? There are a lot of those that are cheaper. Why not get a Tojiro instead?

@Haburn Naming it Bulat if isn't made of bulat or a comparable material appears insincere to me. You wouldn't trust or like a brand named "Shirogami" that sold standard 440A blades, capitalizing on the fact some people might have heard the term and remember it was associated with quality, would you?

De Ja Vu, I feel like these gets posted every once in a while.

Maybe I should do a "start-up" knife next year and get a few hundred thousand, hope y'all will support me

I agree that this knife is not for kitchen knife enthusiasts, but I would think the guys designing it would be enthusiasts. And if they are why on earth did they choose that awful full bolster? That is the only thing to me that stands out as just terrible.

I agree that this knife is not for kitchen knife enthusiasts, but I would think the guys designing it would be enthusiasts. And if they are why on earth did they choose that awful full bolster? That is the only thing to me that stands out as just terrible.
The bolster/guard doesn't reach the edge. I wonder how far away it terminates, and if it would interfere with sharpening.

I agree. We tend to be a bit snobby around here when it comes to knives (daaaah), but given the target audience and the crap those folks are using, this can't be THAT bad. I mean, kudos: he did a great job convincing people to give him quite a few bucks.

Would a Tojiro DP be a smarter/cheaper choice? For sure, but it's not marketed In a way for regular users to know about it. Plus: most folks will want some "bling" when spending a little more on a knife, and the Tojiro sure as hell does not sparkle LOL.

Every time there's someone on Kickstarter with a knife project, we ***** and complain here (sorry, just having an honest day, excuse my German traits lol). So if anyone is interested in doing something about it and develop a REAL knife for the masses, Kickstarter and all, PM me... I'd be happy to join a group to get that project going and can help with insight from a good related startup I invested in.

Thanks. Happy Tuesday ;)

Latest posts

Back