Greetings from Jersey

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The hekler

Reaction score
Hello, I figured it is time to introduce myself as I have been lurking around for the last month or so. I am a 24 year old home cook (if you can call cooking twice a week or so a home cook). I have limited knowledge of high end kitchen knives just picking things up online. have never had any professional instruction nor tried to sharpen a kitchen knife. I came into decent kitchen knives from another hobby of mine, straight razors which I collect and use daily, so at least I do know what sharp is I just don't know if I can sharpen a knife. I do have some experiance sharpening straight razors but am not yet proficient and I can see sharpening a knife being much harder because it is done free hand where a straight razor has a built in guide for creating the perfect bevel. Now onto what I have:

Knives: Shigefusa 300mm yanagaba, shigefusa 240mm Gyuto (both the middle of the road, non- Damascus versions. A random assortment of shun classics ranging from tanto style carving set to steak knives.

Sharpening: Shapton glass/ceramic 1/8/16k, few naturals including BBW/cotis and a (kanyama kiita?) leather and felt paddle strops with diamond 1/.5/.25 micron paste CrOx and CeOx (all different strops obviously).

I know the shuns are not the most highly respected knife around these parts but for everyday use I don't mind them especially if I can learn to put a better edge on them if I'm ever making anything serious I take out out the Shigefusa gyuto or the yanagaba for sushi. I'll try to post all of my questions in the correct places so I hope you all are prepared with answers.

Thanks for having me as I said I've been lurking a while and really like the feel of this place.

I know the shuns are not the most highly respected knife around these parts but for everyday use I don't mind them especially if I can learn to put a better edge on them if I'm ever making anything serious I take out out the Shigefusa gyuto or the yanagaba for sushi.
Haters gonna hate on Shun, but they aren't all that bad. There's just so much better out there! And seeing as how you're already rocking a couple Shigefusas, it's safe to say you're excused the minor other indiscretions in your kit... :D

Also.. Welcome!

Welcome!

I have to say, there is always room for another knife, but your setup is already pretty killer! You came in the right entrance!

Back