Stropping on glass????

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He probably thinks you sharpen on the glass side, after all, they're called "glass stones". :D

I've used textured (frosted) glass before. I question its utility paired with fine stones, but if someone thinks they gain some benefit, I don't think it's worthy of ridicule. Quite a lot of common wisdom in sharpening and honing is loaded with borderline superstition.

Haha Dave 😂😂😂
I thought since glass it S more dense then the knife blade wouldn't be good.
I should try it out, I have one shampton that I don't use so maybe now it will send some work 😉

If anybody of you know a DICK Polish steel (this does basically the same, at least on softer german knives) that is not funny and will work with a softer steel knife, burr removal and a little flattening of the grind. My old DICK knifes are sharpened with 800 Chosera, DICK Standartzug (quit rough steel), DICK Saphirzug (fine steel), and DICK Polierzug (polished steel), and after this threatment it is as sharp as a Japanes Knife sharpened with Chosera 5k.

Greets Sebastian.

I heard glass hones, and techniques for honing on ordinary glass, exist in the SR world. And hey, what makes glass different from smooth ceramic?

I have not any shapton stone. Judging from your word play on the name and daveb's comment, I should not either, or not the glass stones at least. What is your dislike of these about?

They're not for me but many like them. Kind of a Ford / Chevy thing. Drive what you like and it's the best.

Back