Moving to Portland!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Alas my time in DC draws to a close and its time to move back north. For any people in the DC area that I haven't met yet, lets make plans. For any people up north, I look forward to meeting you. I have already been relentlessly harassing Josh (brain sausage) about all things Portland. As of the end of August, we're out!

Nice place, good luck.

Stefan

Travis are you going to be cooking? Portland got the Hawaii Superferry. We used to ride that mostly to Maui. One trip it was rocking & rolling in the Molokai channel. Outer Island farmers liked it would load up their trucks for Oahu. I think special interests like car rental co., Young brothers interisland shipping, financial, political and other resistance sunk the ferry in Hawaii.

Good luck with your move and be ready for some cold winters:cold:

keith we're talking about the east coast portland, the one nobody really knows exists.

It was Portland Maine that got the Hawaii Superferry this year I think it was renamed by the Navy. Lots of boats & water in Maine too. They have good beer guess Brainsausage knows about the micro breweries.:)

I just looked it up. It was a story here in the Star Advertiser. The former Alakai was renamed by the Navy USNS Puerto Rico. Canada Bay Ferries is using it as a high speed ferry between Nova Scotia and Portland Maine. The Nova Star (retired) took 11hrs. the Alakai can do it in 5.5 hrs. Renamed again the CAT it is a twin hull.

It was Portland Maine that got the Hawaii Superferry this year I think it was renamed by the Navy. Lots of boats & water in Maine too. They have good beer guess Brainsausage knows about the micro breweries.:)

I've spent hours upon hours of research on said micro brews. It's taxing, and exhausting, and no fun at all.

I swear.

Travis are you going to be cooking? Portland got the Hawaii Superferry. We used to ride that mostly to Maui. One trip it was rocking & rolling in the Molokai channel. Outer Island farmers liked it would load up their trucks for Oahu. I think special interests like car rental co., Young brothers interisland shipping, financial, political and other resistance sunk the ferry in Hawaii.

Good luck with your move and be ready for some cold winters:cold:

Not sure what I'll be doing. Most likely still in the industry. I'll trade cold winters for a slower pace.

Is it true that Portland is the "hipster" capital? I saw something on tv about it. Apparently I might be a "hipster" in denial(which is supposedly the case with most "hipsters"). Anyways I was thinking of making my way to portland eventually at some point in time. sorry if this is off topic

Is it true that Portland is the "hipster" capital? I saw something on tv about it. Apparently I might be a "hipster" in denial(which is supposedly the case with most "hipsters"). Anyways I was thinking of making my way to portland eventually at some point in time. sorry if this is off topic

I still don't really understand what that term is supposed to personify.

Ha, me either. ever since I seen something on tv about it that's the first thing that pops in my head when I here portland.

I still don't really understand what that term is supposed to personify.

Never thought about it. Too old to be a hipster. Do like good food, coffee & beer. Compost my food scraps for garden. Laymen level interested in Geology. Do some oil painting. Like weapons and military history. Boxing and of coarse razor sharp tools & knives.

Think it is hard to stereotype people many have varied interest that do not fit any norm.

Portland Or is the hipster/neck beard nirvana. Portland Me is a whole different beast. ME has a nice vibe to it. Lots of bars and restaurants. Locals and tourists seem to co-mingle pretty well. Portland ME is pretty darn walkable downtown. Lots of coves and Lobstah pounds both S and N but the area just S of Portland to N of the Kennebunks is pretty darn nice. Then again most of ME is picturesque. Healthcare is pretty limited out side of Portland though.

I'm joining the Portland, Maine party too! Just moved in last night. Interested to meet up with anyone in the area. I'm planning on starting a cutlery and whetstone sharpening business in Portland hopefully within a year or so (but we'll see), so we can have a place to hang, and further strengthen Portland's awesome food scene. PM me if anyone wants to meet up (or talk shop)!

Evan

Back