So, What knife makes you smile?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smurfmacaw

Reaction score
I might have decent collection of knives so I'm wondering what knife makes you smile when you use it?

I have my "reference" cutter made by a certain american maker...cuts better than any other bar none. Among my collection I have a number of other that are fairly nice.

HOWEVER....I have a knife from a Japanese maker that just makes me smile every time i use it......It's thick and stiffer than heck but....dang....it cuts almost as good as my "best" cutter. WAY thicker.....doesn't need to be all "that" sharp to cut like a bomb.....

So...what knife makes you smile?

My inexpensive JCK inazuma make me smile a lot before some ******* dropped on the floor and cut into a bone. 😥😥😥
Was long ago anyway, now I am always smiling when I am using my kato workhorse!!

Surprisingly, the knife that makes me smile the most is also one of my cheapest knife. A blue #2 Yoshihiro KU gyuto. It's one of my first j knife and it's been thru hella lot with me. Just recently spent a bunch of time giving it some love on my diamond stone as well as my belt sander. It now cuts as well as my more expensive knives if not better. Using it and having it glide thru food without wedging really puts a huge smile on my face.

MY MAC MT-80 was my first non german knife. I still take it out and use it from time to time for nostalgia's sake, even though it is a 210 and I have many insanely good knives like my Devin. But it is still a damn good knife for the price I pais (like under $100) and using it makes me smile for sure

My Kochi 180 nakiri, it blazes through my veg prep. Absolute joy to cut with.

Up until recently it was the Dalman Mini, especially with horizontal onion cuts. Now it's Watanabe pro Nakiri. Makes me want to get a Watanabe Gyuto. I don't know if that's even possible, but that guy is seriously underrated IMHO

reground Zakuri 120mm nakiri makes me grin like an idiot, but I rarely use it.

TF Denka 210 Gyuto, Xerxes Laser Santoku Damascus San-Mai and CJA Honyaki 240 Gyuto Standard Grind and Shigefusa Kasumi 300 Yanagiba :D

My first chuka (made in china) came with a cutting edge. It only needed a little stropping to cut paper. Cutting a lemon into one thin strip by turning it, the seed was cut without affecting the cut. That put a broad grin into my face.

A vintage George Wostenholm chef with a Mikey Riggen handle that Dave Martell did the wa conversion on.
Has lots of good karma in it.
P1010012.JPG

Last edited:
Catcheside mighty mono. Amazing knife. That's the one I use most atm.

…HOWEVER....I have a knife from a Japanese maker that just makes me smile every time i use it......It's thick and stiffer than heck but....dang....it cuts almost as good as my "best" cutter. WAY thicker.....doesn't need to be all "that" sharp to cut like a bomb.....

I have a feeling we think alike… I like my 210 Damascus Kato gyuto a lot, will be getting 210 workhorse gyuto today, so may have a new favourite

Henckle 10 inch has a lot of memories, my tadafusa is also in the same boat. For like functional use any of my takamura or my hhh. The shimo also makes me feel gitty, such a bad ass lil blade. I suspect my hhh custom could be(better be) my new love.

My 300mm Hide yanagi. Its always fun to use it.
Also Tanaka deba makes me smile, because fileting fish makes me feel good :)

Mert Tansu 200mm san mai Wa.. The more I have used it the more I love it!

Also my HHH AEB-L 240 western for larger prep sessions its A BOSS!

Cris Anderson and Mert Tasnsu anything I have tried from them always makes me smile. I also have a chuka coming from Randy that im sure will be added to this thread.

Hiromoto Honyaki gyuto bolster, perfect feel in the hand, hard, beautiful [emoji173]️
Masahiro VC 24cm gyuto, gets sharp in no time, indestructible and cheap [emoji173]️

My 300mm Hide yanagi. Its always fun to use it.
Also Tanaka deba makes me smile, because fileting fish makes me feel good :)

Yep quality carbon steel Yanagiba's some of the sharpest edges on a kitchen blade gliding through yellowfin tuna.

Prepping a Wok stir fry with my Itinomonn 180 Nakiri

Back