Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Makers - Offer to help.

Question from a non-knife-making, random by-reader: Can not doing an item which is backlogged longer first be reasonably explained with supply issues, eg material needed is right now not in stock and/or funds to restock are lacking?

Unfortunately I am in the same boat, $$$ deposit from November 2011.

Whilst I have utmost patience and want to be as understanding as possible, its the lack of communication now that worries me the most. Even now if I hear from Pierre, I will gladly move aside in the urgency list to let him sort out other orders first. I just want to hear from him.

Ian makes a strong point I had not considered it would be taken as enabling, I meant to present a practical solution for the good of the customers and to say this won't happen in this community as a whole.

Another way to say that would be with legal action, I wouldn't want to derail anyones course of action.

If everyone chipped in to do a little , without taking on something that would put them at a loss. For example I could probably provide the two dammy blades to a certain state of finish over a long weekend......it could present an opportunity for pierre to do the right thing finally by his customers.
    If people can't feel they can help, or are understandably not willing...it won't work,
    If it interferes with legal claims, it can't work,
    It can't work with out Pierres Input and action either.

My thought was to put it out there, and with enough makers willing to do a little it might at least draw Pierre into a dialogue. Maybe.

It was just an idea

Quote Originally Posted by ecchef View Post
    This is a slippery slope.
    Yes, I commend Will for his generous offer and all around good sportsmanship, but he can't commit to all of the delinquent work and I don't think anyone could expect him to.
    So who are the lucky recipients of a Catcheside 'bailout blade'? What are the qualifications? And for those who don't get one, how will they feel about that? Burned by Pierre and passed over by Will with still nothing to show for it? I wouldn't feel too good about that if it was me.
    It's great to see a community come together like this, but as Ian said it seems a bit "enabling".

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    When I compare the current response of the community to that which was given to Eamon Burke a few years ago when he was in a similar situation, I am disheartened.
    I don't think it's fair to say the community has deteriorated in some way based on the responses here. With Eamon, the guy was flat broke sitting on a box of blades that just needed finish sharpening and handles before they could be shipped to customers that had paid for them in full. It was extremely generous of people to step up and make that happen (I remember how great Danny was at the time), but this situation is really not comparable.

Danny was an organisational wizard through that, not to mention driving however many hours to pick up everything in the first place.

Its dawning on me I have not really thought this through, with no idea how deep the hole of orders reaches even.

So close to NYC I would say NYC ... but don't tell a native New Yorker!
    So ... we have someone from 2011 by now. If you search the forum here, you will find a lot of information about correspondences in this type of matter. I don't know WHEN these health problems started to affect his ability to work, but I have seen no evidence that it went that far back. If you check his Instagram account, the first post is from January 2015. And you have multiple knives and razors shown after that first pic. Of course there is no proof he made them in the prior months, but there's also no indication that these are old projects he finished prior to taken deposits from folks in this community (as early as 2011 as we know by now ....).

Furthermore, if you look at the thread from Chinacat, you can see that as far back as 2012 he was not responding and/or blowing people off. Some of the explanations back then were "I don't remember your real name", "I had computer issues" etc.

Now, I don't want to make accusations here, but come on ...! If you put all the pieces together, this does really not look like ONLY recent health reasons. Because those most go back a couple of years really if that is what this is all about. I do not want to make this even more controversial than it already is, I am just pointing out some information that is readily accessible on this said forum. I think this is a community, and as such it should stick together ... but in this case were it is quite obvious by now that multiple members of the community have been wronged, these people should be protected and supported. A lot of us show incredible patience with and trust in custom makers, spending hundreds if not thousands of dollars with them. At that point it is serious business, and should be treated as such ...

Administrator
    Will, You're generous offer made me smile. If you can help a couple people "get well" I think it would be great. If you can't then no harm, no foul.
    Older and wider..

Dang it! Been watching this unfold for a while now...

I agree, this is bad. and wrong on every level. Even knowing this.. I still feel its "Right" to help the members here if possible. Many of whom I consider family or friends. So IMO, working together to right a wrong is still more "right" then doing nothing in the face of these facts. Im going to go ahead and at least try to help the forum and Its members who have been wronged. IF, as a group. We move forward in a way to make the community whole again. I would be able to help with as many as 4 fully finished ready for handles. AEB-L stainless 240mm gyuto, Western blade blanks. and can do so, once plans are in place.

I sure hope Pierre starts doing whatever is necessary to rectify the situation.

God Bless
    Randy

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Available Knives

It's really quite amazing to see you folks stepping up out of the goodness of your hearts. What an impressively strong community!

Yes most people here are amazing!

I'm still hoping that Pierre responds to my email and offers to start making some restitution to people in order of their deposits. I'm going to give him another week to respond, then consider what a reasonable next step shoudl be