Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Makers - Offer to help.

Makers - Offer to help.

Without discussing any moral implications judgement of what may or may not be happening. I believe some help and encouragement is needed to bring this situation towards a conclusion and bring Pierre back into the dialogue to help make positive action.

I can pledge some help towards filling a few of your back orders. I pledge 2 simple random damascus blades , forged, heat treated, ground, ready to be hand finished and handled in your style, that should take allot of the dust out of the equation? I can provide these before xmas this year if it helps.

I would encourage other makers to offer what help you can according to your speciality, see if we can bring some positive action and solution between us.

I hope with this encouragement Pierre you can make a list of what has to be done and begin a positive dialogue.

Will

Why would anyone want to enable this type of behavior?
    I don't know why these orders weren't filled, but they were not and he took customers high percentage deposits for years.
    Two actions should take place per the customers choice: a full refund or the promised work. That's it. End of story.
    If somebody wants to take their time and provide Rodrigue with time and materials when Rodrigue won't even be bothered to respond to his customers - well then that's none of my business.

Ian Haburn Rogers
    www.haburnknives.com
    Follow me on Instagram

So close to NYC I would say NYC ... but don't tell a native New Yorker!
    Quote Originally Posted by Haburn View Post
    Why would anyone want to enable this type of behavior?
    I don't know why these orders weren't filled, but they were not and he took customers high percentage deposits for years.
    Two actions should take place per the customers choice: a full refund or the promised work. That's it. End of story.
    If somebody wants to take their time and provide Rodrigue with time and materials when Rodrigue won't even be bothered to respond to his customers - well then that's none of my business.
    Ian, I absolutely 100% agree with you.

He's doing all honest custom makers a major disservice. And the LEAST he can do is communicate more. People here are so effin understanding, if he would come out and say that he just doesn't have the money and cannot make knives right now for health reasons, that's at least be an honest (I guess) step in the right direction.

No offense to Will, but unless he knows more than others, I don't think this is right. It's his choice, but I think it only encourages this kind of behavior.

To me it's mindboggling how there can be open orders from 2012 yet this guy doesn't have a problem posting Multiple knives that he made for the site that shall not be named on his IG account.

To end this on a positive note: I cannot state enough how happy I was/am dealing with you, Ian, for my custom knife. I think that has to be said. The small deposit, the updates, the deadline that was kept, quality of work.. All top notch! Thanks!

I completely agree , the offer is for the good of the community, if it can help.

Administrator
    P
    Older and wider..

Quote Originally Posted by daveb View Post
    P
    Get off the internet, grandpa.

When I compare the current response of the community to that which was given to Eamon Burke a few years ago when he was in a similar situation, I am disheartened.

Thank you for your more than generous offer, Will.

Rick
    The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

i'm really impressed that another maker would step in with an offer to try to help out some of the customers that got ripped off, much respect to you WillC!

the situation sucks, but i'm glad it has come out into public knowledge because any makers who don't follow through on their contracts and not offer refunds should be banned from this business. this is why full payment should only be collected once a knife is completed and ready for shipment (with a reasonable initial deposit to show commitment from customer).

This is a slippery slope.
    Yes, I commend Will for his generous offer and all around good sportsmanship, but he can't commit to all of the delinquent work and I don't think anyone could expect him to.
    So who are the lucky recipients of a Catcheside 'bailout blade'? What are the qualifications? And for those who don't get one, how will they feel about that? Burned by Pierre and passed over by Will with still nothing to show for it? I wouldn't feel too good about that if it was me.
    It's great to see a community come together like this, but as Ian said it seems a bit "enabling".
    “Though I could not caution all, I still might warn a few; Don’t lend your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools.” Robert Hunter

I haven't been taking any deposits, partly because of this issue which is so disheartening to see. However I have already been "burned" by this on my end a couple of times, and deposits/part payments are probably on the horizon for commision work sooner rather than later.