What cloth comes with Watanabe knives?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pirendeus

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who helped me pick out my first real knife---I finally settled on a 240 carbon gyuto and 150 ss-clad petty from Watanabe-san. They arrived in the mail today, and I can't wait to make dinner with them...but there was a long rectangular cloth in the package as well. I'm embarrassed to ask, because I feel the answer should be self-evident...but what is the purpose of the cloth? Is it to polish? Or dry? Or something more fashionable---It's delicate, like a scarf :p https://www.dropbox.com/s/e7hwta22rbwp46h/CameraZOOM-20160701185805569.jpg?dl=0
CameraZOOM-20160701185805569.jpg

Is it a tengui? I don't know but Tanaka San sent me a really cool towel one time!

It's a tenugui. My understanding is that you're not trampling any cultural norms by using it for whatever you see fit. I wrap my jnats in funky ones I pick up for $2 and I love the one I got from Watanabe San but I have seen the same design elsewhere

Yeah I didn't know what it was for but I did think it was a cool bonus. I like the wrapping jnats idea.

Thanks to everyone who helped me pick out my first real knife---I finally settled on a 240 carbon gyuto and 150 ss-clad petty from Watanabe-san. They arrived in the mail today, and I can't wait to make dinner with them...but there was a long rectangular cloth in the package as well. I'm embarrassed to ask, because I feel the answer should be self-evident...but what is the purpose of the cloth? Is it to polish? Or dry? Or something more fashionable---It's delicate, like a scarf :p https://www.dropbox.com/s/e7hwta22rbwp46h/CameraZOOM-20160701185805569.jpg?dl=0
CameraZOOM-20160701185805569.jpg

Hi,

I recently bough a gyuto from Watanabe and I am so new at this I asked him what it was. His answer was you can use it for anything!

Love my gyuto, so a couple weeks ago I bought 270 yanagiba from him.....same cloth. Use it as a head band to embarass your teenagers....works just fine.

Awesome, thanks for all the replies! I found that it works well as a final drying towel for the knives, after I initially dry them with a normal kitchen towel. Can't leave any moisture for rust.

Back