Better options than a "Bulat on Kickstarter" please.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nacayoda

Reaction score

KNIFE TYPE: chef’s knife or "Cook Knife" I think is the style we use most in our block and would like to upgrade.

Are you right or left handed? Right Handed

Are you interested in a Western handle ? Either

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
Our current Baccarat stainless is 32cm in total. Cutting edge length is approximately 20cm

Do you require a stainless knife? Not sure. Daily domestic kitchen use.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? ~US$150

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? HOME

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for ?
Slicing vegetables
chopping vegetables (from pumpkins to mushrooms)
slicing meats
fine chopping onions, herbs

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
Baccarat stainless steel (all steel, inc handle)

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? Pinch Grip

What cutting motions do you primarily use?
Slice
Rocking motion
Walking
Push cut

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Better aesthetics: layered/Damascus; different handle - wood; <- Both optional (aesthetics aren't everything).

Comfort: heavier knife, improved balance

Ease of Use: Easier to sharpen / maintain

Edge Retention: Forever? ;)

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board?
Wood. We do have a bamboo block, but it is large and round. Inconvenient for daily use.

Do you sharpen your own knives? Yes, I try with a rod (honing steel) with some success.

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? Yes. Though an instructional video I watched using several wet stones looked hard to get set up for and master.

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? Yes.

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

I was tricked into believing the Bulat on Kickstarter was an affordable miracle. I stopped short of ordering but got far enough along the process to ask the wife if she had any interest in a better knife for our kitchen. She approved the purchase immediately, so I have budgetary approval to proceed... but I'd love other recommendations :)

Thanks
Nacayoda

The old...
IMG_20160702_095455.jpg

Gesshin Uraku 210mm wa gyuto. It's a stainless knife. Reasonably thin without being anorexic. Sharpens easily and holds a respectable edge. Yes, you will need to sharpen it or any other knife. No, a honing rod does not sharpen anything. By the way, which instructional video did you watch?

Australia eh? Have a very good look at the offerings from Knives and Stones. Tojiro powdered steel and Tanaka VG10 seem like good candidates.

Gesshin Uraku 210mm wa gyuto. It's a stainless knife. Reasonably thin without being anorexic. Sharpens easily and holds a respectable edge. Yes, you will need to sharpen it or any other knife. No, a honing rod does not sharpen anything. By the way, which instructional video did you watch?

Op is located in Australia and shipping alone will be $50 or more , i would recommend checking knives and stones kurosaki selections

Missed that part. Looks like James is a good bet then. He does have stainless Tanakas sometimes.

I think I saw this one: [video=youtube;Ft93ncEBpGo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft93ncEBpGo[/video]
Does it include steps regarding "squaring" the stones too? This was also a little intimidating!

I like the look of this cheaper model too. http://www.knivesandstones.com/tanaka-vg10-damascus-gyuto-210mm-western-handle/
Apparently I'm a sucker for the damascus, but I'm sure I should be trying to ignore it. I wonder what it weighs (my Baccarat is 180g).

The TOJIRO Powdered High Speed Steel Gyuto / Chef 210mm F-520 is a very handsome looking tool indeed too.

I have a relative in Japan who's coming back to visit in August... are local prices lower in JP?

Does James still sell the ginsan Tanakas?

The Takamura takes a better edge but Knives like the Tojiro PM hold it much longer, and are less chippy. The Tanaka, well it will likely have a better grind than the Tojiro, the Takamura is a laser of course. Japanese Ho wood handled knives are ridiculously light compared to the typical [Japanese] western handled knife, you might find that attractive.

Personal prerogatives are going to be the deciding factors here, decisions, decisions.

Rick

I would recommend calling (or email) James from knives and stones - he is a really nice guy (I am in contact with him over past few days) and answers quickly.

Tojiro DP (VG-10 steel) knvives are great value but thanks to their heavy (full tang and steel bolster) and rather large handle tend to be butt-heavy. But the VG-10 from Tojiro has a good heat treatment and takes and holds a nice edge. I have not used the PM (stand for powder metallurgy - different process to make steel that yields more homogeneous and final grain steel, however PM is just the name of the process, not a type of steel) and yes it will have great edge retention.

If you can spend a little more, than something like stainless-clad carbon steel (like for example the Syousin Chiku from James)_ would give you more joy IMO. But yes, this is subjective of course.

The Takamura takes a better edge but Knives like the Tojiro PM hold it much longer, and are less chippy.

Why do you say Tojiro will hold the edge longer? Takamura R2 is made of, well R2, which is a PM steel. Also chances are that Tojiro DP is R2 as well. I find that Takamura's edge retention is very good. Best of any other knife I own.

Hi- i have a new Kohetsu 240mm Gyuto- Blue #2 steel core, clad outer and im in Australia - if interested i can dig it out and send you some photos-

i actually bought 2 of them at same time- one went to my Girlfriend to spare my more pricy knives - but as its always within arms reach ive used it a lot- surprisingly a really great cutter, easy to sharpen and as the clad is non reactive easy to care for.

mike

That is a tadafusa nashiji rebrand. You can get them on eBay BlueWayJapan too

measured it- its a 210 not a 240.. decent cheap carbon,

Id also look at japanesechefknife .com - Koki is a really nice guy to deal with and fast delivery from japan to Aus. Had lots of knives from them and never an issue

mike

Why do you say Tojiro will hold the edge longer? Takamura R2 is made of, well R2, which is a PM steel. Also chances are that Tojiro DP is R2 as well. I find that Takamura's edge retention is very good. Best of any other knife I own.

Ruso, you've been around here how long, and you think there is a chance that the Tojiro DP is R2, or any other for of PM steel?

Ruso, you've been around here how long, and you think there is a chance that the Tojiro DP is R2, or any other for of PM steel?

It was a typo, please read 1 post below. Obviously DP's steel is not a secret, it's VG10.

Latest posts

Back