Looking for a New Toy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greggeis

Reaction score
I'm brand new to the world of kitchen knives. Still learning so I don't even know if I'm to the point of a "what knife should I buy" post yet, even though that is the question that brought me here. But I thought it might be a good way to navigate my way through the sea of great stuff on here. A brief intro about me: I'm not a professional, just a home cook but I have an appreciation for nice knives (even though I haven't dove in yet). Another post nailed it, I found my way here becaus I'm looking for a knife that puts a smile on my face. I'm not going to run into any professional use problems or wear out any knife this decade. Oh yeah and if it puts a smile on my wife's face that would be great too. I also have a few knives I have found my way to so I wanted to throw them up too after the survey and see if you think they might be on right track.

Gyuto
Right Handed
Handle: Japanese for no other reason than I like the look. Not married to it, just my preference
210mm could go to 240 on a light knife but 210 probably best
Stainless preferred or stainless clad. I like carbon but my wife isn't going to enjoy it if she has to be paranoid about wiping it down right after prep
Max budget: $230 but closer to $150 would be better (also used would be a great option)
Home use
Kitchen tasks: slicing onions, tomatoes, squash green onions etc. raw meat (not through bone) cooked meat of reasonable size, usually no bigger than a 5" loin.
Current kitchen knife: Calphalon
Grip: pinch (just learning it and knife skills)
Motion: slice, rock (generally for small objects and carrots), walk for herbs. Still early learning though.
Desired characteristics: Better edge retention, easier food release would be nice. Really looking forward to a new level of sharp. It isn't going to be really high volume though.
Aesthetics are the cherry on top.l, but I have a wide range of what I consider beautiful. I like interesting Demascus patterns like on the Miyabe birchwood, but also like the similar but more utilitarian look of the Konosuke HD2, or the on the opposite end a burnt chestnut handle witha rough or dark rustic finish, there are a lot I love.

Maintenance: use mostly poly cutting boards but also have end grain
I do sharpen on Shapton Ceramic wet stones. I'm still on the early learning curve but I'm a dedicated amateur. I am usually pretty happy with my results but I have plenty of mistakes still.

Other comments: I'm a little stuck in my decision of where to start because I want this to be a legacy knife. I would be alright with a starter knife in the <$100 but once I get to $150 or so, I'd much rather get to the level I want (i.e. Spend the extra money if necessary) than to be in and want to upgrade again.

-takamura r2 210mm is a yo but amazing, very thin lazer.
-tanaka 210 vg10 or b#2 b#2 is full carbon but is amazing. Buy it from james at knives and stones
-yu kurosaki as from knives and stones, exceptional work from a youngish smith, as core and am all around performer.
- ittinomonn 210 StainLess is also a good pic, young smith using traditional methods, great performer.
-sukenari ginsanko(forged) from jck is a great blade and comes with a saya, classic look and great perfomance.

Knives and stones has a new line that is damascus and I think is worth a look.

http://www.knivesandstones.com/syousin-suminagashi-r2-damascus-gyuto-210mm-by-shiro-kamo/

Maintenance: use mostly poly cutting boards but also have end grain
I do sharpen on Shapton Ceramic wet stones. I'm still on the early learning curve but I'm a dedicated amateur. I am usually pretty happy with my results but I have plenty of mistakes still.

Definitely try to stick to the end grain, your knives will appreciate it. Great that you are a 'dedicated' to learning sharpening skills and have good stones already.

If your end grain board is fairly good sized you might like 240mm better. Itinomonn stainLess and the v2 gyutos are great and in your price range. I would really recommend picking up a 150mm petty as well. I prefer stainless for knives under 210mm.

Cheers and enjoy! I am sure you will really enjoy using a thin sharp knife,
rj

I had been starting out my search looking at the large manufacturers and found my way to the Miyabe Birchwood 5000MCD, which really pulled at my heart strings more than any of the others before I found my way to the smaller manufacturers/imports. I've had the most difficulty figuring out how the Miyabe compares to a lot of the more traditional knives in the $200 price range. Can you shed any light on what differences you might expect as opposed to something like the Miyabe? I'm sure it's not a great value, but on paper it looked somewhat comparable. They just seem worlds apart when it comes to source of information.

For a wa handled 210 stainless gyuto in your budget i recommend the Akifusa srs15 210 wa-gyuto for $217:

25pmrgo.jpg

http://www.epicedge.com/shopexd.asp?id=93725

Can also go off-brand with a ho wood octagon handle for $200. Not as safe a bet though because it's on rakuten. Although honmamon is a legit seller:

2quhzxc.jpg

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/honmamon-r/item/4573200701542/

For $280 you can go gesshin kagero, which comes with saya:

b5r4p1.jpg

https://www.japaneseknifeimports.co...kagero/products/gesshin-kagero-210mm-wa-gyuto

Or if laser route can go ashi ginga swedish stainless for $175.99:

zxpsb6.jpg

http://m.ebay.com/itm/231981931781?_mwBanner=1

JKI has an enhanced version (Gesshin Ginga) with higher HrC, rounded spine/choil, and comes with saya for $220, although sold out at the moment:

https://www.japaneseknifeimports.co...oducts/gesshin-ginga-210mm-stainless-wa-gyuto

I have the (Gesshin) Ginga 210 stainless and it is a terrific knife. Height was a little short for me at first but I've gotten used to it. Great for herbs, no bruising. Shallots. Just large enough to use as your main knife at home, but can so do some in hand work or use like a petty. Good that way for fruit, citrus, etc.

Quite a few tempting options. One more I was considering in that range is the Kohetsu HAP40 Wa Gyuto. I don't know much about the HAP40, But it seemed to be a pretty decent all around for $185.

Another knife that didn't really line up with what I was searching for is the Itto-Ryu Hammered White #2 Gyuto. Obviously the core is carbon and has a carbon outer with a stainless middle layer. It's thicker in the spine than I was looking for but seems to have a thin grind behind the edge. It doesn't really fit what I thought i wanted but man it looks awesome and it is just one that really struck a chord with me.

I had been starting out my search looking at the large manufacturers and found my way to the Miyabe Birchwood 5000MCD, which really pulled at my heart strings more than any of the others before I found my way to the smaller manufacturers/imports. I've had the most difficulty figuring out how the Miyabe compares to a lot of the more traditional knives in the $200 price range. Can you shed any light on what differences you might expect as opposed to something like the Miyabe? I'm sure it's not a great value, but on paper it looked somewhat comparable. They just seem worlds apart when it comes to source of information.

Miyabi Birchwood is quite a nice knife, it's just not as often discussed or considered here. It's a decent buy with the current promotion sale Zwilling has on it.

Miyabi Birchwood is quite a nice knife, it's just not as often discussed or considered here. It's a decent buy with the current promotion sale Zwilling has on it.

Yeah it's still in consideration. You can always use a 20% off coupon at Bed bath and beyond which brings it down to $183+ tax. It seems like a decent all around stainless option in that price range. The poweldered stainless R2/SG2 seems pretty attractive and I still like the look of it a little better than the other similarly priced R2s. If it wasn't sold in a department store and manufactures by a willing I feel like it would be higher on my list. But that's not the best reason to dismiss it. I also feel like I could use it for a year or two and it would have a bigger resale market.

I was very impressed by fit and finish, thinness and edge retention of this 210mm gyuto:
http://japanesechefsknife.com/DeepImpactAogamiSuperSeries.html#DeepImpact

That is a nice looking knife, looks like no frills done clean and elegant. I also think the stainless clad AS looks like a pretty nice lower than full carbon maintenance option. I was looking at the Kohetsu in a similar knife with a wa handle. I was trying to decide between the AS and HAP40 versions. Seems like AS has a pretty good reputation if you don't mind carbon which I don't, I was just leaning toward stainless.

Another thread is asking just about the same question. See http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/s...e-with-a-150-budget-Kanehide-PS60-Gyuto-240mm

The options I liked (stainless, under 200) include the Gesshin Uraku and the Tanaka VG10. Can't argue with Godslayer's or Chiff's recommendations above either.

I do occasional product demos for a local culinary store and have used the Myabi (sp?). Did not like it. A lot. The knife did not like to push cut, edge was duller than an Al Gore speech (perhaps due to misuse), and I remember bumping knuckles as I used it if I didn't adjust my grip. It was pretty though. YMMV.

I don't know the Kohetsu. It may be a fine knife but it's worth noting that what you've read about it probably came from the retailer's "forum".

Good luck in your search.

edge was duller than an Al Gore speech (perhaps due to misuse), and I remember bumping knuckles as I used it if I didn't adjust my grip. It was pretty though. YMMV.
Well it's not going to fun using any knife if it is dull, but that is a maintenance issue, not one with the knife. The knuckle clearance issue is definitely something some users should keep in mind, as the Miyabi Birchwood isn't a particularly tall knife.

Latest posts

Back