Pacific Northwest Gathering

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haburn

Reaction score
Where? Mareko Maumasi's shop in Tumwater, Washington.

When? Early October 2016

What?

Food, BBQ, Drinks

Forging Demo from Mareko

Lots of table space for displaying your collections and using them. All the cut up veggies will be used for a seafood boil.

Friendly Cutting Competition

The guidelines for the competition are as follows:
-Each competitor submits a blade from the provided profile, made from monosteel with no defining marks and with the provided handle.
-Standard Japanese handles will be provided for each competing knife so that these blades will be judged solely on their performance.
-Heat treatment and finish grinding is to be done by each maker.
-Each knife will be put through a series of standard cutting operations. We'll have score cards and everyone can vote on their favorite knife.
-Once competition is complete the knives will be put up for sale, with all proceeds going to charity. (input appreciated here as well, Northwest harvest? Another that has a broader reach?)​

Participating in the "Kitchen Knife Cutting Competition"

1. Maumasi Fire Arts
2. Haburn Knives
3. Harner
4. HHH
5.?
6.?
7.?

Weekend of 10/8 would be perfect for me (right after I finish the sword making class with Michael Bell) - though I could maybe swing 10/2 as well.

If anyone is coming up or just wants to stop in at Taro's place in Eugene, let me know I will definitely be stopping at Mame in Eugene =)

Here is the profile for the makers, it's 210mm x 50mm. If you would like a PDF for easier printing, shoot me an email at: [email protected]

17d1U8Sh.jpg

Love the idea of this friendly competition and the profile!

This could be a great vacation, I have been wanting to visit seattle anyway. I wonder how good the fairmont olympia is? As for who's winning I'm guessing of those 4 Haburn is taking it. Saying that one of the true masters of metal could join the fray like Bill Burke, Ed Fowler or David Lisch and remind these youngins how far they have to go. Super excited, won't know if I can come till end of august though.

I thought I was in on the friendly cutting competition?

Updated List:

1. Maumasi Fire Arts
2. Haburn Knives
3. Harner
4. HHH
5. Dalman
6.?
7.?

Still looking for two more - anyone attending feel free to get in touch and motivate makers you would like to see on this list.

Ian, if I can make this, do you want me to bring anything from the farm?

Del

Updated List:

1. Maumasi Fire Arts
2. Haburn Knives
3. Harner
4. HHH
5. Dalman
6.?
7.?

Still looking for two more - anyone attending feel free to get in touch and motivate makers you would like to see on this list.

Im excited about this. Yet if there is more that want to join then 6. I will step aside. Ian can ya please email me a PDF of the pattern. so I have for my records?
randy (AT) hhhcustomknives (DOT) com

Ian, if I can make this, do you want me to bring anything from the farm?

Del

Yes please! You can bring whatever you want. I don't have any doubts it will be a delight. :knife:

I'd love to see a Don Nguyen, Bill Burke, Michael Rader and most definitely Bob Kramer in the knife contest though that might be a stretch hahah =p

I'd love to see a Don Nguyen, Bill Burke, Michael Rader and most definitely Bob Kramer in the knife contest though that might be a stretch hahah =p

That's not even fair, mind you I'd love to see a bob Kramer vs bill burke showdown. Same blades just different grinds and heat treats. I'm getting giddy just thinking about it. It would be like watching Michael and Lucifer fighting it out in the comics. A real goku vs superman kindof dispute.

That's not even fair, mind you I'd love to see a bob Kramer vs bill burke showdown. Same blades just different grinds and heat treats. I'm getting giddy just thinking about it. It would be like watching Michael and Lucifer fighting it out in the comics. A real goku vs superman kindof dispute.

Yeah it is definitely a dreamer list, I feel like everyone besides Bob Kramer is a reasonable ask though (and with Mareko knowing Bob who knows?)

Goku all the way =D

This sounds like just the excuse I was looking for to get up to the North ... been too damn hot down here in SoCal ... plus being in Phoenix on travel for the last few weeks hasn't made it easier ...

Let me know what you all decide for dates!

TjA

Updated List:

1. Maumasi Fire Arts
2. Haburn Knives
3. Harner
4. HHH
5. Dalman
6. Bryan Raquin
7.?

We have a couple of sought-after makers that have tentatively committed that aren't on the list. This will be an exciting chance to use a wide variety of custom makers current work.

The date of the Pacific Northwest Gathering is Sunday, October 9th.

I'm gonna try my best. No one let me buy any knives :p

Back