Sanding belts

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tk59

Founding Member
Reaction score
Is there a difference between belts that are used for woodworking vs metal working? What belts do you guys use and to what end?

I prefer ceramic belts, they run cooler, and last longer. Grit range from 36 to 120. Then I like to use Gators (Trizac belts) to 400 grit. From there, its hand rubbed.

My preferences are SiC for sharpening, ceramic for blade shaping, 3M's Gators for pre-finish on blade, and a combo of ceramic/J-flex for handle work. And let's not forget those wonderful Scotchbrite belts - a must have IMO.

My preferences are SiC for sharpening, ceramic for blade shaping, 3M's Gators for pre-finish on blade, and a combo of ceramic/J-flex for handle work. And let's not forget those wonderful Scotchbrite belts - a must have IMO.

+1

On the cheap stainless knives I sharpen (for other people), the Scotchbrite polish on the edge seems to make them last longer

Not to hijack the thread, but I am also interested in this right now. I won't be grinding blades, but next week I am going to be getting a 1" x 30" belt sander. At first I will just be rounding spines with it and other minor jobs. What would be a good belt for that job?

Would you also suggest some of those same belts?

k.

Not to hijack the thread, but I am also interested in this right now. I won't be grinding blades, but next week I am going to be getting a 1" x 30" belt sander. At first I will just be rounding spines with it and other minor jobs. What would be a good belt for that job?

Would you also suggest some of those same belts?

k.

3M's Gators, keep it cool

and the gators are not a fan of being wet tho it will not kill them

im a blaze guy and then gators then scotchbrite (also ahve felt belts for buffing )
and i keep some cheaper and more flexy belts for handle stuffs
super grit has the felts and theere not cheap but they sure work great

and the gators are not a fan of being wet tho it will not kill them

im a blaze guy and then gators then scotchbrite (also ahve felt belts for buffing )
and i keep some cheaper and more flexy belts for handle stuffs
super grit has the felts and theere not cheap but they sure work great

Has anybody used those compound bricks with the felt belts before?

http://www.supergrit.com/products/products_metalworking-compoundbricks.asp or the caswell stuff.

http://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/buffing.htm

k.

Back