Custom makers, deposits and the fallout from the PR (!!) fiasco

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If you have read some of the recent posts about the Pierre Rodrigue fallout, you know that I was very outspoken about the topic. It looks like I offended some people with my comments (some of them have been deleted), which I want to apologize for. I did not intend to do that, but I do have to admit that I am outspoken and emotional about topics that I feel passionate about. I am always joking that my wife (Spanish/Catalan) and myself (German) are not living up to our stereotypes, with her being level-headed, rational and analytic ... and me being an emotional, hot-headed trainwreck.

Anyhow. I wanted to follow up on the discussions with a quick point of view on customer makers and their business procedures. The way I see it, not anyone else. Please feel free to agree or disagree, and if you're a maker, I would love to get your take on it as well. This is not about Pierre Rodrigue. For full disclosure, I have had dealings with 6 custom makers, 4 of those knives I have received so far. I have paid a minimal deposit (less than 10%) for one, about 25% for another and about 30% for a third. I have not paid any deposits for any of the other knives.

For better reading, and because I like lists, let's number some of my thoughts on this ...

1) Even if you're a part time maker, you should be able to have a rough idea when you can deliver the knife. No one here will argue or complain about a month or even a couple of months delay ... we all know that life gets in the way, and we all have been late with stuff at work. I sure have been. With one of my custom knives, it took something like 3-4 blades to get mine right. Of course that delays the process. BUT: The maker was proactive in communicating that delay (and it wasn't much anyway). Which brings me to ...

2) Be transparent in your communication. This is the easiest and maybe most important part. If you know you cannot keep a promised deadline, write an email and say so. This forum is so understanding, it's borderline insane when you consider we are talking about serious business here for some, considering the dollar amounts involved. No one will crucify you (the maker) for being open and proactive in your communication. Again, looking at myself ... every time I was late with work and waited for my manager to ask about it, it caused bad blood and problems. Every time I realized I would be late and reached out to ask for more time, I got very positive and understanding feedback.

3) Deposits! This is a makers personal choice, I get it. But I do suggest taking a small deposit to make sure that a customer is serious about the project. Take a bigger deposit if the customer requests very expensive materials or such a unique knife that it would be hard to sell at a profit in case the customer backs out.

4) Be professional and courteous about this. I hate to say "the customer is always right", but no matter if this is your main job or a hobby that pays you a little bit on the side, you need to respect that people are paying you hundreds of dollars, sometimes or some of it upfront. And while I am in the fortunate situation of situation of being able to afford paying for expensive knives, for some this might mean saving for a while and putting off other expenses. Please respect people and their hard earned money the way you want people to respect you.

That's pretty much how I feel about it. I won't get into how I feel that this forum is overprotective of (some) custom makers here. I think there's a lot of information to be found once you start talking to people via PM's. And honestly, as a community I feel that we should also protect the members who are (potential) customers by being able to post experiences with makers that are not all rosy and great. After all, that is what happens to any other business these days where customer reviews are a key element of success or failure for businesses.

My two cents. But if the PR fiasco has shown us anything, I would say it's this: Just be open, transparent and proactive with your communication and all will be good as this community really is a very forgiving family ...

Whatever is the PR fiasco (I know nothing about it), what you wrote is to the point. When it come to selling things, it is a business and .... business is business. What you wrote is equally valid that one sells custom knives or apples. Delay - price - communication- customer service - respect. All of that is important.

I am in contact with a couple of custom makers. So far, it is fantastic journey that I am having with each one of them. It is something very different than just buying a new blade: the pleasure begins when you draft the first mail that you are going to send to the maker to tell him that you are considering having a knife made for you. I strongly recommend to go through this for all the aficionados of this forum.

Whatever is the PR fiasco (I know nothing about it), what you wrote is to the point. When it come to selling things, it is a business and .... business is business. What you wrote is equally valid that one sells custom knives or apples. Delay - price - communication- customer service - respect. All of that is important.

I am in contact with a couple of custom makers. So far, it is fantastic journey that I am having with each one of them. It is something very different than just buying a new blade: the pleasure begins when you draft the first mail that you are going to send to the maker to tell him that you are considering having a knife made for you. I strongly recommend to go through this for all the aficionados of this forum.

I wholeheartedly agree with you. The process is fantastic... I love it and I am happy spending more on a knife just to be this involved in a knife coming to life.

As long as the process looks like what i described above, that is [emoji6]

In my experience, some of the vendors are much better about communication than others. I won't put anyone on blast here, but there are stark differences. And Jon is great.

Once upon a time a I didn't have a workshop but had access to one on a regular basis. I was helping a friend make his own furniture and making a few pieces on the side. Then a friend came with a request to make a bench out of a piece of walnut she bought. No biggie. No sooner did I get it started but the access to the shop dried up and the owner, as many with money often seem to do, disappeared and went to italy for some "time" leaving my wood locked in the shop. This went on for almost a year until the opening of the shop coincided with my purchase of a home with it's own shop. My friend was understanding and I was doing the whole thing for free anyway. But the stress of having that hanging out there was too much. I got the bench done in a few weeks once I was able to retrieve the wood and she walked away with an $800+ piece of fine furniture for the $90 she spent on the wood. Long story short, I'd rather make it myself than wait for someone else.

I've been dealing with custom knifemakers since the late 60's and have learned many lessens the hard way. No one man custom shop can ever totally predict the future as far as delivery times. A simple case of the flu or a minor injure will put him behind. Any of the common family emergencies we all have will equally put him behind. Very few aren't working hand to mouth and deposits disappear with out a trace or a knife being finished. Bottom line, I don't pay up front for any knife. This makes many makers angry with me as they all think they are different from those other guys. Until they aren't. When the knife is finished, let me know and I will pay for it. It is funny how many never do seem to finish an order or even tell me why.

Well one idea is that custom makers could ask for a very small deposit to secure ones place on the line <5%??, then a larger deposit for materials etc say 4 months from delivery. I choose 4 months because paypal has a six month window for refunds...

That way buyers who use paypal have a very good chance to get their money back and makers have 2 months leeway...

The paypal window does protect the buyer. A stand alone custom maker under different circumstances can take a long time to complete orders. I think a small deposit is reasonable.

Have had experience of maker closing shop (not knives) and not returning 50% deposits, I was not the only one in this case. Would not return calls even from BBB. Chalked it up as a learning experience.

One can even imagine a scenario that a small deposit to secure place, then full payment when the knife is (approx) 4 months away from delivery with the understanding that at 5+ months, no knife means refund asked from Paypal... If people still want the knife and makers agrees, then after refund a new paypal payment could be made when knife is 4 months away from delivery!

Although I am a newbie on this forum, I agree with @Alterwisser: it is important that the members can write about all the aspects of their interactions with vendors/makers: the good, the bad and ugly. Obviously the writing has to be polite and sincere, but when smth goes wrong with a maker (or vendor), it is important to share with the community, IMHO.

I find a resonable deposit for the place in line OK (makes people think a little more in advance and it makes the planning of work more predictable - in particular if the queue is 1+ years) - e.g. like Bloodroot does. Also pre-payment for special materials or some very special product is OK, but other than that it should be payment upon completion. I would not pay a 50%+ for a 4 digit knife in advance. Just seems unnecessary to me.

Lots of points of view here but none with any consideration of the guy giving up his time to belt out a knife for you...

These guys are millionares doing it for the laughs.

While you would be hard pressed to find me giving out a deposit, as i have said that is my own personal risk assessment. They makers are within their right and could easily be argued that they shoukd be entitled to cover their materials and potentially some, if not all, of their potential profit if you pull out after they have commenced any work.

I know that is a harsh sounding line but that is business.

I guess i just take can see both sides of this discussion. Though i will agree with a small fee to put yourself in the line and then potentially 50-full payment upfront. Nothing more annoying than putting in all the work and having some idiot not pay.

What, like they're doing you a personal favor? Isn't that what they're soliciting business for?

Slightly ironic statement given what some of the chefs around here can say/act about what they do.

Yes they are running a small business but most are also compensating you with their full time income. And only charging you at cost or only just over cost.

And all I was trying to point out is there are two sides to this and we aren't talking about big corporations. Heck most of these guys give lifetime warranties and maintenance along with the knife

Lots of points of view here but none with any consideration of the guy giving up his time to belt out a knife for you...

Uhm... if he doesn't want to give up his time to belt out a knife for me, he shouldn't offer to sell knives.

Nothing more annoying than putting in all the work and having some idiot not pay.

...unless it's shelling out hundreds of dollars and having some idiot not provide the goods you commissioned.

My current thought on giving a small percentage as a down payment: I don't mind a small payment but I'll do some research beforehand (finding other owners and ask by pm what their experience was like, browse their subforum for hints of problems, etc).

Malexthekid, my side off out I'd that if the maker can't afford the materials, maybe they shouldn't be in this business...

In this community- or the internets in general- if someone doesn't pay for a finished knife, it's ridiculously easy to find a home for said knife at the same price point as the originally agreed upon deal, so I find this to be a poor argument.

Long story short, you're exchanging your time and effort for another person's time and effort. And That should be acknowledged by both parties equally.

My current thought on giving a small percentage as a down payment: I don't mind a small payment but I'll do some research beforehand (finding other owners and ask by pm what their experience was like, browse their subforum for hints of problems, etc).

Malexthekid, my side off out I'd that if the maker can't afford the materials, maybe they shouldn't be in this business...

Chinacats that goes both ways... maybe if the buyer can't afford the loss he shouldn't be buying the knife.

And not talking about purchasing of raw materials because a maker should be building up capital to purchase raw materials in bulk, it is more cost effective to do it that way.

But I would suggest that the moment his hammer or grinder hits that steel he should be compensated for that material... Now there is arguments on onselling etc. But i wouldnt complain if i had to get pay for materials until he could sell to someone else.

Or a 50% deposit on commencement of work. Refundable on sale of the knife if you don't go through with it.

It is unfair for us to expect the maker to take all the risk. Or if thatvis our expectation wait for the price to triple because one knife sale has to cover 3 bad ones.

Chinacats that goes both ways... maybe if the buyer can't afford the loss he shouldn't be buying the knife.

Wait....seriously? I don't understand this argument at all. Am I missing something?

What does that have do do with anything? And if you're looking to make this personal...don't.

Wasn't taking it personally however my statement stills runs true. If you take that stance then a chef is just some dude putting your dinner on a plate... which i don't agree with.

And the chefs comment wasn't aimed at you, or anyone in particular, just remembering some comments in the "customer is always right" style threads that pop up.

And not talking about purchasing of raw materials because a maker should be building up capital to purchase raw materials in bulk, it is more cost effective to do it that way.

But I would suggest that the moment his hammer or grinder hits that steel he should be compensated for that material... Now there is arguments on onselling etc. But i wouldnt complain if i had to get pay for materials until he could sell to someone else.

Or a 50% deposit on commencement of work. Refundable on sale of the knife if you don't go through with it.

It is unfair for us to expect the maker to take all the risk. Or if thatvis our expectation wait for the price to triple because one knife sale has to cover 3 bad ones.

Your comment regarding whether the seller can afford the loss is ridiculous. We're not talking about trading futures here. It's a straight exchange of money for goods. And as I said above, the cost of materials is easily defrayed by 'reselling' the item if the original buyer doesn't complete the transaction.

Your comment regarding whether the seller can afford the loss is ridiculous. We're not talking about trading futures here. It's a straight exchange of money for goods. And as I said above, the cost of materials is easily defeated by 'reselling' the item if the original buyer doesn't complete the transaction.

If he can resell a custom item.

Sorry but people got bent out of shape (and rightly so) because some makers hold deposits for years without any clear indication of when delivery is... But you think it is acceptable for a maker to carry his loss indefinitely on the hope of the sale of a commissioned piece of work.

Think about it, would you be happy to put in a days work only to have your boss say "oh no, no pay for today, the client decided he didn't want it. But don't worry I'll pay you when someone picks it up".

Back