Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommnend a stone to go with a gift knife?

Recommnend a stone to go with a gift knife?

If I were to include one stone along with a knife as a gift for somebody who is not a knifenut, what stone should I consider and in what grit? I was thinking a Shapton glass stone,(doesn't require flattening), or a fine diamond plate.

M

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

King Combo Stone 800/6000 - I guess price does matter...

I'd go with a King 1k. Sure it dishes, but of they find they want to sharpen, I can't help but think they'll learn to/eventually want to have a flat stone.
    It's a classic for a reason, and the price is right.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

I have no experience with Shaptons, but the fine DMT is a pretty good tool.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    ...fine DMT is a pretty good tool.
    Definitely.

Engorged Member
    Not a stone but a ceramic hone/steel. TK59 has me convinced I need one for mid service...

For a first beginners set up Ive recommended the tri-hone here and it has been warmly recieved. It includes an india stone for repair bevel setting, med arkansas, and hard arkansas and honing oil for a little less than the king 1000k. The king is a good all aound stone BTW.

I like the idea of the Shapton, but if you are gifting one of your knives, which I bet already has a spectacular edge set, maybe skip the 1000 and go with a 4000, especially for a noob????
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post
    I like the idea of the Shapton, but if you are gifting one of your knives, which I bet already has a spectacular edge set, maybe skip the 1000 and go with a 4000, especially for a noob????
    Interesting. Keep it coming, guys. I will pass on King combo. Not my favorite.

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

I'd go with 1k stone, may be King