Quantcast
Recommnend a stone to go with a gift knife? - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommnend a stone to go with a gift knife?

King 1k/6k stone in my opinion. It's what I started out with.

Quote Originally Posted by El Pescador View Post
    Not a stone but a ceramic hone/steel. TK59 has me convinced I need one for mid service...
    I've got to agree. I love my Idahone Rod. Tell Dave to get more!

How long can you maintain the knife on Idahone before it needs resharpening?

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Depends on the knife and how much you use it. I sharpened a Chicago Cutlery for my boss at work and it got a few months of light work use. It basically is like touching up on a lightly aggressive 1200 grit stone--a hairy(wouldn't say "fine"), shiny, even scratch pattern.. It can be the end-of-the-line for a tougher, more abused knife.

Knowing you, I am guessing you didn't get them a brand new Forschner, so if it's a laser in high-performing heat treat, I would consider a fine grit stone instead(Like a Rika 5k...tell Dave to order those too, I need one meself). I learned to sharpen by doing edge maintenance touch-ups on a stone, so it's a good way to go if they want to learn to do it.

I would go with a naniwa SS 1k. People keep saying its slow and what not but I think its awesome. Leaves a really good edge, doesn't cut too fast (I really don't care as much if it cuts fast or not, I am not sharpening 500 knives a day) and is soft enough that it is forgiving on not so perfect sharpening skills. Plus the softness makes the stone a good learning stone, and it costs about the same as a king 1k nowadays. A king 1k would be nice too btw. I wouldn't give someone anything finer the a 1k since it makes up for ****** skills easily.

I was set on Shapton glass stones or Diasharp diamond plates as they don't need to be flattened. Now I am seriously considering a honing rod, as this might be easier to use while maintaining the edge than the actual stone.

The knife (by me) will be for a friend of mine in Ukraine. She would have to maintain the edge herself and I am not sure how well she can do it on the stones anyway. The closest knife nut that I know of (Vladimir) lives hundreds of miles away.

Dave you need to start a JKS franchise world-wide.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Engorged Member
    Isn't the black ceramic a 2K? That might work...

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    I was thinking a Shapton glass stone,(doesn't require flattening)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    I was set on Shapton glass stones... as they don't need to be flattened.
    While Shapton Glass stones do have great wear resistance, they are not immune to dishing and still require the occasional flattening. They're bonded ceramics mounted on tempered glass, so they're less prone to cracking, but not at all the same as a diamond-plate.

I'm thinking of testing this one out at 2.2k: http://www.knifemerchant.com/product.asp?productID=6356.

A Gesshin 2000. Leaves an excellent, if unrefined, working edge.
    “I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.”