which shears to get?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have Diawood and I like them very much. But I don't use them for extended periods of time so I don't experience the potential fatigue that comes with small handles.

I know you are looking for heavy duty shears, but it seems like all the cool kids are carrying Joyce Chen shears in an apron pocket. Small, sharp, handy, about $20. The ad copy claims they will go through chicken bones, although I have not tested that application.

Ernest wright and sons make great scissors and they have a nice story about their history on you tube.
http://www.ernestwright.co.uk/

I'd advise against this. They had quite a bit of press coverage recently (over the past couple of years) and the quality control has dropped off massively as they've ramped up the production.

I bought a pair of dressmakers scissors from them for the wife and they bound horribly. I asked for a refund or a replacement and after a lot of prodding they replaced them with a pair which was worse. The scissors are basically unusable and she now uses a cheap pair of Fiskars scissors instead.

I don't know if the kitchen shears would be the same, but it would be a PITA dealing with this from overseas.

JCK Kagayaki is almost the same as tojiro pro but with larger handles and a bit longer, I have both:
38BF1E59-E19B-4DB3-8B26-277718E5665E_zpsmdnumscb.jpg

They fit together as well… but don't:
E9D73894-224B-4587-B0A0-78BD0FEF2EA1_zpslkbpaubb.jpg

Mac. As someone who used scissors a lot these are the most comfortable for long term repeated use.

I'd advise against this. They had quite a bit of press coverage recently (over the past couple of years) and the quality control has dropped off massively as they've ramped up the production.

I bought a pair of dressmakers scissors from them for the wife and they bound horribly. I asked for a refund or a replacement and after a lot of prodding they replaced them with a pair which was worse. The scissors are basically unusable and she now uses a cheap pair of Fiskars scissors instead.

I don't know if the kitchen shears would be the same, but it would be a PITA dealing with this from overseas.
Thats disappointing to hear as i am very happy with mine.

JCK Kagayaki is almost the same as tojiro pro but with larger handles and a bit longer, I have both:
IMG

They fit together as well… but don't:
IMG

I bought Diawood from Maxim and they are great. I really like the fact that they come apart and are easy to clean. They are pretty sturdy and suitable also for heavier tasks.
I suppose that Tojiro are almost the same.

I saw your post last week about JCK Kagayaki. I like the larger handles and the fact that the blade is a bit bigger. On Diawood the blade can sometimes be a bit small.

Pitty that I did not see Kagayaki earlier.

I also have to second the recommendation for the Kershaw taskmaster shears. Very solidly built (almost like a tank and made in Japan), will handle pretty much any job. Comfortable in the hand, and come apart for easy cleaning and sharpening. But to be honest, most of the time I have the smaller Messermeister shears near by. Also very well built, but smaller and nimbler. Also comes apart for easy cleaning and sharpening, and costs less than a decent lunch.

Pic to show size comparison (150 mm petty in the background for reference)

Last edited by a moderator:
Tojiro handle hurts my hands with thick cuts like chicken breast bone removal. Also, a small section of stainless plating has come off handle and is starting to rust.

i have used a couple dont really remember which ones at this point other then the chens(lots of guys own those around places I have worked) but the macs stay in my kit.

I've had the Tojiro take apart shears for almost 8 years now. No problems. Love em.

I have the messermeister ones pictured earlier in the thread and they're pretty nice. Seen alot of lobster shells and still ticking, yet to be sharpened.

Tanner, yea the semi circle on one of the blades. If it's not commonly known as a chicken notch, from here fourth it shall be.

On my shears, it's listed in the product description as a bone notch.

One of the tests of a good pair of shears, I believe, is how well it can cut plastic bags, especially those thin produce section grocery bags. If it folds the bag or doesn't cut cleanly all the way, it is not sharp. Do your shears pass?

I use the Helen Chen for local fish, for extreme fins (triggerfish etc) I'll get out the Gerber hunting shears.

Back