I apologize.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Burke

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I don't know if any of you have missed me here or not but I would like to apologize for my Lack of knife deliveries. I Have been working two jobs since my wife has had to quit her job because a pituitary tumor has left her legally blind in both eyes. she was the member of the family that had our health insurance so now we have to pay a ridiculous amount of money to keep our family covered. I have been working a "real " job in order to get health insurance coverage and my knife work has suffered for it. I would like to say I am sorry to everyone who is waiting for knive and would like to tell you all not to worry too much I WILL get your knives done as soon as I can.:O

Best of luck getting things back on track for your family. Gotta do what you gotta do.

There are more important things in life then knives. I wish the best for you and your Family.

This news really sucks. I hope that your wife does well.

Wish you the best of luck. In my experience people are human beings first and customers second. I'm sure they will understand.

+1 to what others have said... sorry to hear about everything, but the most important thing is that you take care of yourself and your family and it seems like you are doing exactly that.

Very sorry to hear that Bill, Hope everything works out for you guys.

Bill, Sorry to hear. We will be prying for your family and if there's anything we can do to help, just give me a shout. Keep the faith and the rest will work itself out.

It sucks when people suffer like this, one thing on top of another. I wish the best for your family Bill.

Wow bill I new about your wife's pituitary surgery from over at the dog pound. What I did not know is that she lost her sight, very sad. I had to have my pituitary removed in 2006 so I know what it's like and how hard it is but I guess I got lucky. As all the others have sad, knives can wate, we all have to many anyway.

Very sorry to hear, Mr. Burke. I applaud your stepping up to the plate in this situation.

love ones first. Best of luck to the family will keep you in my prayers.

Im so sorry to hear about your wifes sight loss :( I know she was ill and that you have a hard time. But there is something really wrong with the world when one of the best knifemakers have to take a "real" job to make a living.

I can't tolerate this!

Dave: will you host a Raffle?
Im donating a new Shigefusa 240 Kasumi Gyuto with Marko handle and says for this one! Ill have Harald (darkhoek) put a solid finish on it as well. The knife is hardly used and will be a really nice knife for the one who get it. I will send it to Marko in NYC for some oiling of the says and handle as well. This knife will be out of this world! Handle is desert Ironwood with a matching says. Ill talk to Harald and we will ship this one on monday. I hope a raffle will make a lot of money for Bill and his family, and hopefully Bill can spend more time making knifes for us nuts! :) Ill pay the shipping from Marko to the lucky winner as well.

1281987455-DSC_1055.JPG

As for my knife mr Burke. I have lots of time and as Ive told you I want you to take your time. Im happy to see pics of it on Blade Show 2012 ;) Bill: you are meant for making knives, not burgers ;)

Edit: I know this won't solve your problems. All I hope for is that it gives you a chance to breath and take off some pressure on your shoulders .)

Oivind, you are truly a class act! It's people like you that give me hope for humanity.

Bill, this is an opportunity to connect with your wife on a new level. May your bond grow stronger. You and the family will survive this and overcome. The knife world is not ready for Bill Burke to step down!

Hi,
I am saddened by such tragic news.. AS they say.. strike when the iron is hot... and also when the going gets tough... the tough gets going...

Since i am in the market for a knife , may I start the bid at USD$1,500 ? I hope that it is not too little?

Regards,
david

sorry sorry to hear bill....hope eevrythiong works out for you.....ryan

p.s.-unfortunately we haven't figured out a solution for the raffles.....the last one didn't go well to say the least.....ryan

I believe I can understand your predicament a little better than maybe some others. Since my wife had a stroke in July she has been out on short term disability and the income has been decreased as well as we now have to pay her portion of the health insurance out of pocket. Your wife and mine are to young to have to endure those issues. I wish her the best and I know you will do what is right.

Also, if Dave is going to host a raffle for your benefit I will add one of my boards to the mix. This one is a 2 x 16 x 22 cherry board with walnut strips. I will pay the domestic shipping.

How about it Dave?

So I think there's a ton of desire to do it, it's just a technical limitation as few if any online payment/transfer services allow this kind of thing as I've come to learn. If it weren't for that, I think Dave would set it up in a heart beat.

No apology necessary Bill. Best of luck to you and your wife.

Dave Oivind's got a great idea but maybe on top of that you could set up a donation fund on you sight like Jon did for Heiji to help the Burke family out? We could post it on some of the other boards, know bills got a lot of friends out there. That way even if someone only has $5 to help out and cant bid in the auction they could help out too, add up to a lot.

So I think there's a ton of desire to do it, it's just a technical limitation as few if any online payment/transfer services allow this kind of thing as I've come to learn. If it weren't for that, I think Dave would set it up in a heart beat.

Even with paypal fees the mony would help.

I'm hoping for the best for you and your family.

sorry sorry to hear bill....hope eevrythiong works out for you.....ryan

p.s.-unfortunately we haven't figured out a solution for the raffles.....the last one didn't go well to say the least.....ryan

I don't know how the last one went down but I have a idea. Dave collects the $$. then PM's me the name, I'll assign that person a number and right it down on paper. When all the tickets are soled I'll mail out a the list of names nod numbers and while the list is in us mail limbo the number can be picked that way no cheating can happen. Not that I think this would be necessary as I don't think Dave would cheat, but just a idea.

Perhaps an auction would be better than a raffle.

I don't know how the last one went down but I have a idea. Dave collects the $$. then PM's me the name, I'll assign that person a number and right it down on paper. When all the tickets are soled I'll mail out a the list of names nod numbers and while the list is in us mail limbo the number can be picked that way no cheating can happen. Not that I think this would be necessary as I don't think Dave would cheat, but just a idea.

The issue is that raffles are actually illegal in most states, and Paypal doesn't want to have any liability for helping run a raffle. So if they see any activity that looks like someone is receiving money from a raffle, they investigate, and in our case, found us right away. They shut it down, and ban the person running the raffle from Paypal.

Whatever the answer is or how this can be worked, I'm still good for the offer.

Back