Looking for a new 240mm carbon gyuto...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steampunk

Reaction score

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)? – Gyuto, middleweight.

Are you right or left handed? – Righty

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? – Wa, preferably.

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in? – 225-240mm.

Do you require a stainless knife? – No, I would prefer carbon; ideally with stainless cladding, but that’s not a deal breaker providing the cladding isn’t crazily reactive. I might go semi-stainless if it is excellent, but it would have to sharpen like carbon.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? - $250-ish

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? - Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for? – Vegetables, fruit, occasionally portioning boneless proteins, etc.

What knife, if any, are you replacing? – 210mm Hiromoto AS Gyuto.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? - Pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use?– Push, pull, and chop; I do not rock.

What improvements do you want from your current knife?–
I simply want a larger, and thusly more capable carbon gyuto than I already own. Something that is thicker at the spine, but is ground thinly at the edge and at the tip for precise work, and is middling in weight (Neither super thick, that will get stuck in hard sweet potatoes, or so thin that it is flimsy.)… Preferably with a near continuous distal taper, although this is not mandatory providing the spine thickness does not hamper the nimbleness of the knife. I also prefer a fairly consistent grind for easy thinning. It needn’t be beastly (I’m not looking to chop down trees, and my technique is fairly delicate.), but I am not interested in a 2mm thick at the heel laser, either. I prefer a flatter profile with less belly, and some flat spot at the heel as I chop herbs, and am not a rocker.

Better aesthetics? – Anything goes.

Comfort? – No plastic ferrule WA handles, but anything else goes.

Ease of Use? – Good, middle of the road performance with resistance to wedging and food release. I abhor wedging, though, so if I had to I would trade a knives’ food release performance for the ability to cut a dense apple or a big carrot without cracking. I don’t like low-grinds on thick, wide bevels, as a result. I enjoy sharpening, but anything carbon is fun, so no worries there.

Edge Retention? – An area that I am firm on is hardness; I want something in the 62-65hrc range. I like the edge stability that brings, and how harder steels sharpen. I prefer Aogami, but will also accept Shirogami or V2 providing it isn’t <61hrc. Maybe SKD semi-stainless if it is heat treated well, and carbon-like in sharpness potential.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.) – End grain maple.

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.) - Yes

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.) – No.

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
I think I covered most everything… I’ve narrowed it down to a few, and would like some thoughts from users. 1-2 aren’t in stock right now, but I can wait; I’m not in a major rush, just looking for my next blade.

240mm Wakui Kasumi Stainless Clad Shirogami #2 Wa-Gyuto
240mm Itinomonn Kasumi V2 Wa-Gyuto (From JNS, when they are back in stock.)
240mm Kochi Kurouchi Carbon-Clad V2 Wa-Gyuto (From JKI)
240mm Kurosaki Kurouchi Aogami Super Wa-Gyuto (From Knives & Stones)
240mm Masakage Koishi Aogami Super Wa-Gyuto
240mm Yoshikane Tsuschime SKD Wa-Gyuto

The Kurosaki and Masakage worry me, a bit, as I have seen some wonky cladding lines that go down to the edge in photos, but otherwise I love Aogami Super so they made the list. I also got a very effusive suggestion for the Yoshikane, recently, but am skeptical since it is not carbon, and also on the resistance to wedging/distal taper.

The Wakui, I am not sure on the HRC of… Some sources say 60-61, others say 62-63, so that’s my only concern with this. I wouldn't want a Shirogami #2 gyuto with any less edge retention or edge stability than my Masakage Yuki, at 62hrc.

Thank you for your time… I’d love to hear some thoughts. If you have any additional ideas that sound like they’d meet my criteria, then feel free to voice them. Even iron/mild steel clad knives, providing they demonstrate low-moderate reactivity.

- Steampunk

http://japanesechefsknife.com/DeepImpactAogamiSuperSeries.html#DeepImpact
If you were still to consider a yo...
I can only tell about the 210: crazy thin behind the edge, finer grained than the Hiromotos, quite a bit harder without any brittleness, superb edge retention.

First review I've seen on those; thank you! :)

I'm not totally against yo, but prefer WA... So you feel that these are actually a step up, not a step down from Hiromoto? Interesting... How's the distal taper, and the profile? The few photos I've seen look like they have a bit more belly, and a bit less taper to the spine than my little Hiromoto, but pic's can be deceiving.

Cheers...

- Steampunk

For what its worth, there are also migaki Kochi gyutos and they have blue #2 core.

I have currently Kochi KU santoku 180 mm and love it.

For what its worth, there are also migaki Kochi gyutos and they have blue #2 core.

I have currently Kochi KU santoku 180 mm and love it.

Thank you for the recommendation... :)

How is the reactivity for both the core steel and the cladding on your santoku? Takefu's steels have a little higher tolerance for impurities (Particularly phosphorous and sulfur) than Hitachi's, so I've always been curious if there is a noticeable difference in real life... Does the knife move through dense ingredients well without cracking or wedging?

- Steampunk

P.S. I've been enjoying your knife making blog.

What are your thoughts on a Toyama?

It's slightly north of your budget, fully carbon, and maybe a tad too thick but a lot of people seem to love them. Over-sized and good cutters with great steel. It's the carbon gyuto that I'm lusting after the most right now.

My vote goes to the kochi 240 stainless k-tip. I have it and cant recommend it enough! Love that thing!

Fwiw, I don't find my all carbon Kochi to be very reactive. They do patina quickly which helps. I'm on my 3rd Kochi and love them (2 I've kept... 210 gyuto and 180? nakiri).

What are your thoughts on a Toyama?

It's slightly north of your budget, fully carbon, and maybe a tad too thick but a lot of people seem to love them. Over-sized and good cutters with great steel. It's the carbon gyuto that I'm lusting after the most right now.

Toyama is an interesting thought; haven't considered it much, as I haven't read a real extensive review on it yet. It looks like an interesting one, though, and is definitely something to consider... Thank you. :)

My vote goes to the kochi 240 stainless k-tip. I have it and cant recommend it enough! Love that thing!

Fwiw, I don't find my all carbon Kochi to be very reactive. They do patina quickly which helps. I'm on my 3rd Kochi and love them (2 I've kept... 210 gyuto and 180? nakiri).

Two more votes for the Kochi! Thank you both for your feedback!

- Steampunk

I have a kochi 240 and like it a lot. Not my best cutter but it feels nice in the hand and cuts really well....(it has really tough and MUCH more expensive knives to compete against for "best cutter". I'm giving mine to my youngest who has an interest in pro cooking. It will serve her well.

I'll weigh in on the side of Toyama. Hefty and authoritative I a manner that implies beefy wedge monster. It is probably my best carrot cutter. It
Whispers through them. Sometimes on the thickest, crunchiest, bottom-of-the fridge carrot you'll get a little crack.

I'll weigh in on the side of Toyama. Hefty and authoritative I a manner that implies beefy wedge monster. It is probably my best carrot cutter. It
Whispers through them. Sometimes on the thickest, crunchiest, bottom-of-the fridge carrot you'll get a little crack.

Thank you for the feedback, on this; I really appreciate it... I'm really starting to like the look of this knife. Have you tried it on a taller, hard object, like a really firm granny smith apple, a hard sweet potato, or a kohlrabi? On spec, it still looks pretty thin at the edge and tip, like it is capable of some precision in spite of its girth; would you say this is true?

Cheers...

- Steampunk

I have a Watanabe 240 on loan at the moment - it is when it comes to profile and grind very similar to Watanabe. It cuts great. It weights 235g, but with the height at the heel of 55 mm the blade is nice thin behind the edge. I did not use it on something like a squash yet, but I have little doubts that it is going to have any problems. If a knife with little more heft is what you are after, than either Watanabe or Toyama would be a great choice. I like it much more than a Kato workhorse.

Back