Quantcast
Convex Edges - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Convex Edges

Sponsors
    i saw rockbox post that video yesterday... very good video

That's one of Murray's better videos. I particularly liked the point he kept making of observation - look at the blade while working. This is such a simple thing that is so critical to getting done what you want to get done.

The top three sharpeners seem to agree on this one!
    I'll follow the advice for sure, now!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Sponsors
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    I particularly liked the point he kept making of observation - look at the blade while working. This is such a simple thing that is so critical to getting done what you want to get done.
    +1

Some of my knives have no visible bevels and these are usually the ones that perform like lasers. Convex bevels depending on how pronounced the convexity is will help with the food sticking problem. They are also fun to make, making sure all the scratches are in the same pattern and stuff.

You can convex a blade too much, especially if you try to grind it on a slack belt. I do it on a KMG rotary platen and still end up "flattening" it a bit when hand sanding.

Quote Originally Posted by ******* View Post
    You can convex a blade too much, especially if you try to grind it on a slack belt. I do it on a KMG rotary platen and still end up "flattening" it a bit when hand sanding.
    And what happens when you convex it "too much"?
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Yeah, I'm not sure why you'd put slack in your belt anyway. There's usually enough give on mine if I just move the platen back a bit. I suppose with enough slack, your knife would just be very thick behind the edge. In that case, it seems like you wouldn't want to flatten, you'd want to thin behind the edge is all.

Hmm so it does not help too much with the food sticking problem then. But basically, what are the pros and cons of it? I've read through the posts and it seems that mostly it is down to thinning and personal preference?

Quote Originally Posted by MadMel View Post
    Hmm so it does not help too much with the food sticking problem then. But basically, what are the pros and cons of it? I've read through the posts and it seems that mostly it is down to thinning and personal preference?
    Well no. It helps massively in terms of food sticking in my experience. My KV8 I thinned cuts potatoes better than any other knife I have, potatoes and pretty much everything just falls off the blade. A pretty big advantage. I'm gonna thin and convex my Hattori FH some time this week hopefully so then I can experiment a little more

+ Reply to Thread