Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 300mm Damascus Suji. U.S. Pass-around

Thanks Johnny and thanks Tk for the feedback, its much appreciated, especially as i'm sure you have a ton of knives to get through
    Did you take it to the hones Tk?, i'd be very interested in your views of the steel in terms of the edge you could get off it.
    The texture in the steel is pitting from over etching, trying to get the non-contrasty steels to show a bit more contrast.
    I ht then grind my blades, any flaws show up during the grind and certainly on polishing. The blank was clean as a whistle. Interesting things though flaws if you think about it wrought iron has very beautiful flaws in the form of slag inclusions in hazy lines from rolling. But then bad wrought, does have a tendency to come apart on you.

I saw the other thread you started with the new suji. Looks like you've already responded to a lot of the criticism. I did not take it to the stone per your request but I'd be more than happy to do so. I was impressed with the toughness of the edge. I have observed very little damage under magnification although it isn't cutting tomatoes particularly well even after stropping on 1 micron diamond. As for the flaws, I agree, they could add an interesting touch, as long as rust doesn't set in the fissures or weaken the blade in some way. I couldn't detect either on this blade. It looks like Pesky won't be by to check it out for a couple of days. It will go off to Jon on Friday or Saturday.

I sent the knife off to Jon today, now that Pesky's had a turn with it. I've attached a picture of the patina in it's current state. It's gorgeous, if I do say so myself. I also sharpened the knife gently on Gesshin 1k-5k-Awasedo-Dave new strop loaded w/ 1 micron diamond. I'll say it wasn't the easiest thing to sharpen for a number of reasons (some flexibility, the length, the small bevel and the weight distribution) but it did sharpen up just like a lot of simple carbon steel knives. It get blazingly sharp pretty easily. The burr was pretty easy to remove (gone by the time I finished with the 5k, which was not very long). It did improve the cutting but not as much as I thought it would. To me, that reinforces the idea that the grind would be the main way this knife could be improved...like it needs a little yanagiba mixed into it. =D
    Attachment 2303

Woo, that looks great, thanks Tk, i'd nearly forgotten how long I made the handle. So a little check list, so far.
    A good deal more convexity on the faces will help part food, without sticking on the slice.
    More weight to the tip by shifting the balance,
    Shorter handle,
    More up-sweep to the tip, maybe over the last third of the blade? This accentuates cutting area.
    Shorter emoto so as not to have to over stretch pinch grip.
    No upsweep to the handle to ease the wrist position doing long slices.
    Thanks all for the feedback,

Engorged Member
    I am good with all the previous reviews...and would like add this knife+drinking= http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqVQT9Det6Q

Quote Originally Posted by El Pescador View Post
    I am good with all the previous reviews...and would like add this knife+drinking= http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqVQT9Det6Q
    Uh... W. T. F. ?

Engorged Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    Uh... W. T. F. ?
    Sorry, I was looking for an excuse to post the video.

I hear ya. I just thought it was sad...

Engorged Member
    Whats sad is me having to change my pants from laughing so hard.

Quote Originally Posted by El Pescador View Post
    Whats sad is me having to change my pants from laughing so hard.
    I think he might have some sort of disability.