300mm Damascus Suji. U.S. Pass-around

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillC

Reaction score
300mm Damascus Suji Pass-around.

I would like to Offer this Damascus Suji on pass-around. I’m a bit excited and nervous as its my first pass around on any forum. So if you think you can suggest something I have missed please let me know. I feel it’s a good knife for a pass around as it is a good example of my current level of skill. In terms of geometry/steel/HT and fit and finish.

The Damascus should have been high contrast, but I got my Underholm steels mixed up. So with no Nickel in there, it was a struggle to get anything to show without pitting. This I know about and can get that right next time. As far as HT/grind and performance it is makes no difference, so ideal for passaround…..But it should have been prettier.:D

Specifications
Blade length -310 mm
Handle length – 182mm
Depth at heel – 42mm
Blade materials – 300 layer en42J/Underhom plain carbon. Approx 58-60hrc
Handle Materials – Burl source redwood/ blackwood ferrule, My own Mokume/copper/red spacers, slotted aluminium dowl inside.
Width on spine above heel – 2.8mm
Halfway – 2mm
1” from tip – 1mm
Grind and bevel – Modified flat grind, 7 degree secondary per side with 14 degree micro-bevel.
Weight – 288 grams
Balance – Front of handle

Pass around Rules.

I will keep this Pass-around to the U.S. Last on the list posts it back to me in the U.K. I will paypal you the approximate difference in postage if needed. I will ask Mark at Burl source if he would like to try it last, as maybe he can post it back with some nice burls:ninja:

Pm me if you are interested in a UK pass around of this knife.

Maximum of 10 places, 2-3 days each person.

You must provide me with your name, address and contact number via e-mail, ( too easy to loose pm’s) [email protected]

Contributing members only with 100+ posts, unless you are invited by me.

You must post the knife with insurance to cover a value of $800. Please package so it is suitably resistant to damage during transit.

No destruction testing please. I’m only interested in how you find it in normal kitchen use and how it compares to other knives. Treat it with respect but do not be afraid to use it.

Do not alter anything about the knife without my permission, except to touch up the edge.

Natural Patina is to be expected. But no forced patina please.

You must not alter the geometry of the edge unless you have express permission from me. That does not mean that you can not take it to the hones, as long as you are confident to do so.

Only take part in this pass around if you can keep the knife sharp whilst maintaining the geometry as much as possible. I’m hoping it will only require a tickle on the micro bevel every so often if stropped regularly, as my other knives do.

I would prefer if you have other knives to compare it to. But if you are in the market for a Suji and like the look of mine, I will make an exception.

Only partake if you have time to evaluate the knife properly and give me feedback.

Any damage to the knife, please let me know straight away.
I hope all that is not off putting.

Here are some pretty Pictures.

Please if you don’t wish to take part in the pass around, don’t let it stop you from making comment and offering feedback from the specifications and pictures.

IMGP1202.jpg

IMGP1203.jpg

IMGP1205.jpg

IMGP1215.jpg

IMGP1219.jpg

IMGP1218.jpg

I'll just get the handle epoxied in and put an edge on it and its ready to go:biggrin:

Nice looking knife. I would love to give it a test drive. I have a 300mm Hiromoto AS Suji and a Dave Martell 300mm O1 Suji.

I like the subtle damascus pattern. Should get interesting with patina. Kinda Shigefusa-esque.

Brilliant Sir, Thats the start of a list. I have been using it before finishing it properly. I never realized a long knife could be so useful. Although I had to get a bigger board.:D

1. JohnnyChance

I would be interested, I would like to try a longer suji.

Excellent stuff!

1. JohnnyChance
2. Kalaeb

Thanks Son.... Its sharp...I'm just gona make some dinner with it.:D
1. JohnnyChance
2. Kalaeb
3. Sachem Allison

I don't feel confident enough to provide any real input so I'm going to stay out of the passaround, but that is a beautiful knife!

I'd love to get in on this and compare it to my Pierre R 300mm O1 suji. But as a home cook I don't think I would get enough use out of it in 2-3 days to make a meaningful comparison. :O

Please keep me in mind if you have trouble lining up 10 testers (which I doubt you will!). It is a really nice-looking knife!

I'm interested in this. The closest thing to a suji that I have, though, is a Forschner that is 266mm long and 47mm tall at the heel, and one of those long buffet slicers with a 300mm blade.

Thanks Guys!
Wildboar, i'm a bit hesitant to make it much longer than 3 days, otherwise it could just go on for too long, what with postage and delays and and.:scared4:
But I guess it could be 4 days. That would make it about a week turn around...maybe ...with post time
Would be great to have you on the list if 4 would clinch it.

Spike, Many thanks, I would be very happy to have your feedback, you have been coming up with some lovely knives yourself.

1. JohnnyChance
2. Kalaeb
3. SachemAllison
4. SpikeC

I'm in Canada, and I have a crap load of stuff going on between training and being a husband, so I can't participate. It is, however, a beautiful knife. I'm impressed, based on the pictures!

I'd be delighted to get in on this, if possible.

O yes absolutely. Thanks guys for such a great response. Pretty soon the nerves will start to twingle though i'm sure. I need to get a box sorted for it I think, for safe and easy transit.

1. JohnnyChance
2. Kalaeb
3. SachemAllison
4. SpikeC
5. tk59

Great Stuff! to keep it all simple and fair. Time limit now 4 days. Obviously if you have it when you have time to give it a good run on a weekend or day off, get it off a bit quicker if you can.

1. JohnnyChance
2. Kalaeb
3. SachemAllison
4. SpikeC
5. tk59
6. Wildboar

I'm in. I live by TK59 if you like to group us together...

Pesky

Thanks Pesky, glad to have you on board. I'll pop you in next to tk in sharpsville:D

1. JohnnyChance
2. Kalaeb
3. SachemAllison
4. SpikeC
5. tk59
6. El Pescador
7. Wildboar

Looks like a great knife, I've got no sujis to compare it to though so I'll let someone else get in on this.

Sounds like fun. I could compare it to a Takeda and Kanemasa. I would, by practicality, be the last on the list due to my remote location. I would'nt feel offended if you are uncomfortable about having this knife in transit for weeks.

Beautiful wok!

D

Well, it's purdy. Looks a lot like my 310 Harner actually (avatar pic). I can't give a knife this big a hard workout at home unfortunately, so I am no help :tongue:
I look forward to seeing some thoughts though. Congrats on your first passaround! It takes thick skin to offer your blood sweat and tears up for criticism.

I would love to try this one out!

Your work intrigues me. I hope there's room!

That is an amazing looking knife. I live in the UK but I don't think I would use such a knife enough to give you any useful feedback. I'm sure the people on the list will give you a lot of interesting ideas though, these passarounds are always interesting to read even if you aren't actually on them

You should look into a way to keep your fees low for when the knife comes back from the US to the UK. The dues can be outrageous, for "foreign" product coming into England, etc. See if marking it as "Made in UK", or something along those lines can save you the $20...or £.

Yeah, I'd just make sure it's obvious that it's his property, or at the least, that it is a domestic product. We all know how customs can be.

For sure. I have sent a lot of stuff between the two. The customs charges on a $800 knife would be around 180GBP iirc, so it pays to be cautious!

Awesome looking cutter! I wouldnt be able to do proper testing or have comparisons. But I look forward to the reviews and think this knife is going to be a big hit.. Keep up the great work.

If that package (and customs paperwork) is marked "return to original sender" and he retains the original receipt from shipping he'll probably be good to go.

Nice knife! :)

Latest posts

Back