Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: 300mm Damascus Suji. U.S. Pass-around

I took delivery yesterday. What a beauty! And it makes the 300 mm suji from Pierre look short!

Thanks Dude, Enjoy. By the way if anyone can find a use for this knife, do drop me a pm. Obviously its far from perfect, so I would certainly let it go at used/ practice knife prices. Would save Mark posting it back to the uk too.

Some comparison shots w/ my Pierre Rodrigue 300mm suji. Assist by BoardSMITH. Sorry about the poor spine shots.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3435.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	3463Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3436.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	101.8 KB 
ID:	3464Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3437_r1.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	3465Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3438.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	3466Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3441.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	3467Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3442.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	3468Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3445.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	3469Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3446.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	105.8 KB 
ID:	3470Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3447.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	3471Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3449.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	3472

and just for fun...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3490.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	215.2 KB 
ID:	3473

Thanks for the pictures, they are great. Hope you enjoyed using it.
    Will

I really enjoyed my time with it. It was by far the most popular knife at our Christmas party -- I was using it to slice the hams and people kept picking it up to admire it.

The longish handle was really my only issue with it. It wasn't quite as comfortable as the one my other suji, and it shifted the weight balance a little more towards the handle, leaving the front half of the blade feeling a little light (in car terms, it understeered a tad )

The spine was wider then on my suji, and it had less taper at the tip. Before I used the knife, I thought that would hurt the overall performance, but it was thin enough behind the edge and was quite a capable slicer.

I did not cut up much in the way of vegetables with it, just a couple onions and potatoes. The lightness near the tip made it a little less then ideal for those tasks, but then again a 300mm blade isn't exactly a go-to length for me when it comes to gyutos, so I'm not used to doing much with knives this length other then carving roasts, etc.

Overall, I was quite impressed with the level of workmanship. The metal and woodwork were top notch! And you gained a dozen or so new admirers that evening -- many of whom collect pocket knives and could not understand up until that point why I would spend more the $50 on a kitchen knife.

Thanks for letting me try it out!

Thanks David, it was a crazy length to do the handle I guess I was thinking artistically rather than practicality. The addition of a brass dowel to handles on longer knives has addressed that issue meaning a handle can be made to fit a hand measurement, (Mine is 130mm) and not be overly blade heavy.
    My grinds have got more and more extreme as I have gone along from the Pass around. Something like 2.8, 1.8. 0.8 an inch behind the tip is presently what i'm doing on a 300mm Suji. With a tad more convexity.
    The edge profile seems to be an area of personal taste. Between this one, which is quite a flat profile, notably too flat for many, My latest Suji near matches a Masamoto ks 270 gyuto from the tip back. So a slight curve to the heel but pretty flat then a sweep up to the tip. How do you prefer your profile on a Suji?

Will, the edge profile of your suji matches the profile of Pierre's pretty closely (I should have taken a pic of them overlaid). I like this flattish profile. But then again I do not use my suji for 'board work' -- I have a few gyutos for that.

So I would say if you want to use the suji as an all-around knife then a little more curve might be good, but if mainly for slicing it's good as-is. Obviously this is personal, and I tend to prefer gyutos that are a little flatter then the norm.

Thanks David, yep I think I'll leave the exact edge profile to personal choice on orders. Thats the beauty of custom knives after all.

Where has this got to then? Spike had it last I heard.

Mark should have it now, it was scheduled to be at his place Saturday.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig