Mukimono

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godslayer

Reaction score
Anyone here use a mukimono? Any good budget say 200ish usd and down recomendations? Also any sub $300 that are worth the extra. I'm thinking about buying one to play with. Wouldn't mind uping my centerpiece / charcuterie game. Leaning towards a watanabe or masamato 150/180mm. Was going to get a shig thinking it was priced similar to a petty.... I was wrong lol. :scared4:

If you want a crap ton of sharpening repair/practice go for the Watanabe. :D

*Note - I realized after posting the above that Watanabe likely offers pro level Mukimono knives which are likely great like his other pro level single bevel knives are. What I was referring to is his el-cheap-o line of knives, run from those.

Last edited:
I have a 135 Toyama from JNS (pretty darn close to Watanabe pro Kasumi), I like it to peel things in lieu of a sheeps foot Parer because it is very flat and has a usable tip.

Good to know. I'm also going to email ikeda san. I'm having a super special yanagi made. Maybe just maybe hed make me a matching mukimono. I looked at toyama but they were out of stock :'( it was actually my first choice after shig. I saw the cheapo one Dave. It isn't for me. I would rather have something quality, especially with a single bevel.

if you want to know what it would look like, i will show you a honyaki from his late brother :D

Clarification: not selling things as it is my personal collection :O

if you want to know what it would look like, i will show you a honyaki from his late brother :D

You know I want to see it. You also know I'm getting a honyaki, is a honyaki mukimomo made from tamahagane over kill? You know for the good times.

Clarification: not selling things as it is my personal collection :O

Always keeping the good stuff for yourself.

@Dave Martell I think you would be among the most qualified to make a list of makers of kataba+straight edge knives sorted by junk/project/great .... :biggrin:

No irony. You likely had more of them on the bench than anyone I suspect.

Well think I'm getting an ikeda honyaki. My supplier just messaged me 15% off for a few days. Now w#2 or tamahagane.... Things to think about.

@Dave Martell I think you would be among the most qualified to make a list of makers of kataba+straight edge knives sorted by junk/project/great .... :biggrin:

No irony. You likely had more of them on the bench than anyone I suspect.

I have seen a few over the years. :)

But.....I'd never make a list like this though, too many people would get butt hurt. :wink:

All we know is watanabe non pro version is junk tier, pro version is good to go tier

If you want a crap ton of sharpening repair/practice go for the Watanabe. :D

*Note - I realized after posting the above that Watanabe likely offers pro level Mukimono knives which are likely great like his other pro level single bevel knives are. What I was referring to is his el-cheap-o line of knives, run from those.

Are you referring to these as the el-cheap-o knives? :p http://watanabeblade.com/english/standard/l6knife.htm

:plus1: for the Toyama from JNS. I have the 135mm mirror polished. It looks like it is out of stock though. It is my only single bevel and is quite different from any of my other knives. I enjoy using on vegetables every once in a while. The edge is like a razor but no problems with it being fragile given my light use. It likes to be wiped off right away.

I recall Tokyo Aframes had several as well.

I have the entry level one from Watanabe... just because I wanted to try a cheap single bevel and ordered something else from him anyway. It's not as crappy as some people think... maybe I just got lucky with a decent one. But yeah, his pro stuff is in a different league, I just LOVE my pro Nakiri... Makes me want to get a pro Gyuto as well!!

Ordered a 180 honyaki from ikeda-san. Hes gonna see if he can get me one of those sick ebony and bone handles all the captain fancy pants knives have.

Hi!

I have a used sakai yusuke pro something 180mm mukimono and its actually one of my favorite knifes..
I really love the shape and its better for me than most 210mm Gyutos (for a 100% pullcut-princess..yep ;))

I have the entry level one from Watanabe... just because I wanted to try a cheap single bevel and ordered something else from him anyway. It's not as crappy as some people think... maybe I just got lucky with a decent one. But yeah, his pro stuff is in a different league, I just LOVE my pro Nakiri... Makes me want to get a pro Gyuto as well!!

Was quoted 37,400 JPY for 240mm Watanabe Pro Gyuto with shipping (34,000 without). Worth it, you reckon?

Back