Quantcast
which whetstones should i buy to sharpen my carter 240 gyuto?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: which whetstones should i buy to sharpen my carter 240 gyuto?

Question which whetstones should i buy to sharpen my carter 240 gyuto?

im buying this knife:

Length: 241mm
    Width: 55mm
    Thickness: 2mm
    Weight: 219g
    Handle is Cocobolo, Ironwood and Ebony

Price $796.88

but i dont know which whetstones to buy. I live in the uk so would like to buy here to save on shipping and import duty

i am new to whetstones and would like some suggestions on which to buy

a, are cheap stones as effective as expensive ones?
    b, what grit? i have a 400/1000 combo at the moment

i know people say learn to sharpen on a cheap knife at first and i have some i can practice on.
    to put things into perspective:
    i own a boker straight razor and was unable to get that sharp on a norton 4000/8000 (i dont have the norton anymore)
    so im useless at the moment at sharpening

any suggestions on stones and grits?

Do you sharpen the straight razor on something else now? Whats the budget for the stones?
    To be honest, it seems kind of silly to me to be spending +£500 on a knife, when you aren't able to sharpen at all yet, but thats just me..

Steven, Welcome but RDM makes a good point. $800 on a single knife.
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

Definitely get a less expensive knife for practice.

Jon Broida at Japanese Knife Imports has some good sharpening videos on youtube. Murray has sharpening techniques available for a reasonable cost for streaming (haven't seen these specifically, but on some other videos he seems like a good teacher). If you want to get the most out of your investment, you'll want to keep it sharp.

I'll say awesome knife and congrats on the purchase! I really like my Carter 240 and it takes a very nice edge.
    I was using Naniwa stones before I bought the 3 stone set from Dave Martell. These stones get me exactly what I want out of all my knives this far. There are some really excellent stones out the and the 3 are just some of them. Check em out

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...rpening-Stones

There used to be a discount coupon(?) that would make it a mere 600 and change.

Suggest contact Maxim at JNS for specific stone advice. He'll have what you need at your door before you hang up. JCK also has good rep for European shipping.
    Dave
    Older and wider.

I would get a <$250 carbon kitchen knife to practice on first
    Then post a "WTB a Carter" thread, likely to find a nice example for lots less

Pretty sure Carter himself uses, sells and suggests King stones. Can't get much more affordable, and his ootb edge is the best in the biz.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by stevenn21 View Post
    im buying this knife:

Length: 241mm
    Width: 55mm
    Thickness: 2mm
    Weight: 219g
    Handle is Cocobolo, Ironwood and Ebony

Price $796.88

but i dont know which whetstones to buy. I live in the uk so would like to buy here to save on shipping and import duty

i am new to whetstones and would like some suggestions on which to buy

a, are cheap stones as effective as expensive ones?
    b, what grit? i have a 400/1000 combo at the moment

i know people say learn to sharpen on a cheap knife at first and i have some i can practice on.
    to put things into perspective:
    i own a boker straight razor and was unable to get that sharp on a norton 4000/8000 (i dont have the norton anymore)
    so im useless at the moment at sharpening

any suggestions on stones and grits?
    Beautiful knife Steven.Since you have such a fine blade recomm. getting your freehand skills up to snuff.The Martell stones with DVD you cannot lose.Esp. for beginning sharpeners in English language covers alot of ground in the DVD set.

AS mentioned Jon Broida-knifesharpingplaylist-is another excellent freehand tutoral.Since you got a Carter you can check out some of his videos.You are in good company with all of these guys.

Practice on your cheaper knives first & check your bevels,sharpness etc.I don't think you need to use a coarse stone on the Carter a good medium stone like the 1200 Bester is a good place to start.And do not put it to the stones until you feel comfortable with your tech.

i have some ziganof knives to practice on
    they came with a 400/1000 stone

they cost alot but i think i made a bad choice my friend has some and swears by them they were expensive cost me £350 for a cleaver and a 3 peice set they are a lot more expensive on the website i got them at a trade fair in my local area there were two well known tv chefs promoting them (they were at the fair)
    i got quite a lot of stick from the members of another knife forum for buying these but you learn from your mistakes thats why im buying a carter