J-Nat Club

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwrightthruya

Reaction score
I have read through several of the threads and have not found this particular topic. So, I thought it would be fun..and very informative for us to have a thread for everyone to post pictures of their J-nats. It would provide everyone a way to ask questions about each others stones-personalities and share their experiences. I will post mine a little later, when I have time to take better pics.

I wish I could upload from the comp, I'll have to put all on a host site then post here.

Hi Chris welcome to the forum !!
I am looking forward to see your stones ;)

Great idea have Dave make it a sticky on top of maxims sub-forum, that way it will be easy to find and not in the way. Think Jon and Maxim should start so us little guys don't get lost in there 100's of pages.

Ok I'll get things going here:

Aizu, one of the best stones I own, ~ 1-3k stone very aggressive, can be used instead of 1k synthetic.

2lm3qx2.jpg

Unknown ~2-3k that I got from Aframes awhile back, it is very good on claded knives, slower than corresponding synth grit

awxiwx.jpg

Hideriyama -nice soft stone ~6k range

2nhg32q.jpg

Large botan nagura

2e698h1.jpg

Hakka- very nice soft stone ~6k

saz5s2.jpg

Nakayama Asagi ~8k

sdp5yd.jpg

Takashima Sunashi Suita- this one is very good for finger stones, other wise a bit slow to sharpen on ~10k

29pbzfs.jpg

Atagoyama Kiita- super fine but not scratchy #24 stone , great finisher for knives also very good for razors. The black lines are not cracks

zn8z1u.jpg

Shinden Sunashi Suita- very fine and non scratchy stone, with Karasu ~20k

25ixm4g.jpg

Shobudani Asagi - prepolisher ofr raors , finisher for knives ~15k

20kfa7n.jpg

Big Mejiro Nagura

j64xmc.jpg

A few razor stones

Oozuko Mizu Asagi- ~30k

dltjli.jpg

Nakayma Asagi, Kamisori grade

262pp8m.jpg

Wakasa- a superb stone for Kamisori finishing

x59ira.jpg

Yaginoshima - my best 6-8k stone for razors

2cizog.jpg

Oozuko asagi- the hardest and finest stone I own > 30k, extremely hard stone

hx0i7p.jpg

Most stones are from Max.

I just post my most used for now :)

Atagoyma

IMGP7945.JPG

Hard Takashima Kiita

IMGP7938.JPG

Tenjyou Nagura

IMGP7928.JPG

Hakka

IMGP1729.JPG

Ohira Range Suita

IMGP4677.JPG

Here is my small but ever growing collection :D. Like most people who venture into J-nats I had a few paperweights and doorstops that aren't pictured. The key is to be patient, unafraid to make a few mistakes (although costly), and find a great vendor. Be sure and have some in depth and honest conversations with them about your wants and needs. Most of the following stones come from Maxim at JNS.

My final finisher for razors and the stone I use to put a microbevel on my Japanese Knives. This is an incredibly hard stone and rather difficult to master. I am still teasing out all the possibilities.
15Sep2011

Next Up are a series of Ozuku from full size to razor to traveler. All are final finishers and all have their own unique quirks

Ozuku Asagi
15Sep2011

Ozuku
15Sep2011

Ozuku Razor Hone
15Sep2011

Traveler Ozuku
15Sep2011

Next Up is my Ohira. This is a lv4 stone but provides an excellent finish and is pretty fast for its grit level.

15Sep2011

Okunomon Suita-This is an incredibly fast stone that is an excellent final stage sharpener. It is completely capable of erasing 3k synthetic scratches in just a few minutes.
15Sep2011

Hideriyama Renge Suita- This is quite a beautiful stone, but it is very slow and seems to have quite a limited grit range.
15Sep2011

Full Sized Tenjyou- This one I am incredibly proud of. It has to be one of the smoothest stones I have ever had the pleasure of working on. It is also one of the easiest. Its light color and incredible cutting speed allow you to see an almost instant dark slurry.
15Sep2011

15Sep2011

Next Up is a Takashima Myokakudani. This is a great replacement for a fine aoto. And should be spectacular following a coarse aoto. Which I intend to discover for myself very soon:D.
15Sep2011

The next one is not a J-nat, but I could not resist. It is the best stone as a final finisher for soft German knives that I have found.
Belgian Blue (BBW)
15Sep2011

Last But most definitely not least are my series of Nagura and finger stones.
Botan, Tenjyou, Tsushima, ozuku asagi tomonagura, large nakayama kiita tomonagura

15Sep2011

15Sep2011

I hope to add some more pics soon:cool2:

You must forgive me. I am new to the forum scene. Lets try again. For a description and my thoughts on each stone see my previous post. Thanks for being patient.

Shoubudani Asagi
Shoubudani%252520Asagi.JPG

Ozuku Asagi
Ozuku%252520Asagi%252520Full%252520Sized.JPG

Ozuku
Ozuku%252520.JPG

Ozuku Razor Hone
Ozuku%252520Razor%252520Hone.JPG

Traveler Ozukus

Traveler%252520Ozuku.JPG

Ohira

Ohira.JPG

Okunomon Suita

Okunomon%252520Suita.JPG

Hideriyama Renge Suita
Hideriyama%252520Renge%252520Suita.JPG

Full Sized Tenjyou
Tenjou%252520Nagura%252520Full%252520Sized%252520Stamps.JPG

Tenjou%252520Nagura%252520Full%252520Sized.JPG

Takashima Myokakudani

Takashima.JPG

Belgian Blue
BBW.JPG

Nagura sets and finger stones- Botan, Tenjyou, Ozuku Asagi Tomonagura, Large nakayama kiita tomonagura
All%252520Nagura.JPG

Nagura.JPG

Oh no need to apologize:)

But, if you be so kind to say a few words about the stones, perfomance, approx grit or anything, that'd be awesome :)

I'll have to work on my pic's...

So far my Japanese naturals are only used for my razors. Lucky for me the collection is small or I'd be tempted to sell off the extra stones and that would bite...

very different... tsushima is much harder and usually not anywhere near as muddy. Grit ranges can be similar, but thats about it.

There is many different Tsushimas some is super soft and some is very hard. Grit range i find them to be much finer then Aotos though

There is many different Tsushimas some is super soft and some is very hard. Grit range i find them to be much finer then Aotos though

Very fine, I agree, 8k maybe. I've only seen hard ones. Do you carry the soft kind?

Nah, not a 'green' Atagoyama. It's a blue or traditional one, I believe. Could be good. Is it vintage? ($$$)

As for Tsushima - Above Panda asked about Tsushima, not Takashima. Just checking people have read this right as the two names are often confused. (Maxim?)

Tsushima are very uniform and consistent, at least by reputation and going by the one I have. No worries about lines, intrusions and whatnot, which is good. Not super fast, though. Range 5k-8k if from JNS so, yes, finer than Aoto, including the red and green Atagoyama akapin (aka aoto).

I meant Tsushima nagura not Takashima :p

They do vary a lot and some even come from Different mines

Jeez you guys are hardcore! Lots of beauties posted here... I dunno one thing about jnats but they surely look gorgeous

Latest posts

Back