When is a knife ruined?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My former wife txt me yesterday saying she got a chip in her MAC santoku that looked like a knife. I said don't worry i'll fix it, then she sent me these pics. Be careful with butternut squash and thin knives. Do you think this knife can be saved? I'll send it to anyone that wants it. Thought you guys would enjoy these photos. The one with the chip and quarter is particularly interesting.

72A3A148-EC70-4BC4-B2F4-5454C9E1E6D5.PNG

5E4C0B44-9822-4791-A38C-66F6E7779E1B.jpg

5398CB44-3A87-4449-BB19-3A838EFD5121.jpg

I'll have it if it possible looks like a fun project

I imagine with a lot of work you could make that into a petty, but it would never be worth the amount of effort involved.

Have her do that along the full length of the knife and sell it as a rare prototype serrated bread knife. You can sell ice cubes to penguins, so I am confident you can move this knife for $ :)

I'd go for a ko-santoku/kawamuki, leaving the tip to chip portion as is and making a tang of the rest.

EDIT: Ok, probably would take 5 to 10 mm of the spine off and go for a K tip. In any case, unlike a petty/filet knife, you won't have to completely put a new grind.

yipes!

I'd be concerned about fractures above the divot (hard to call something the size of a quarter a chip!). No point in trying to rescue that knife, I think. Maybe convert it to something "unique", but it's done as what it was.

Butternut squash are one of the things it's a good idea to keep a beater German knife around for. Pure hell to cut with, but at least you won't knock a chunk out of the edge.

Peter

Really not worth it could get a brand new one for not a whole lot...

That is the perfect knife for cutting avacados around the pit. Just made you a million dollars on a startup. BOOOOM!!!!

@Jordanp while pettys are literally thrown after you, small santoku/bunka tend to be comparatively expensive - but useful.

While not being the Mac you can get a replacement tojiro same size for 43 USD...

hahaha tj.

I doubt mac will replace it those knives ship with a note that says specifically not to use on hard foods something similar to what Koki sends from JCK no? Either way, I heard their NA reps are really nice but...

Back