Cutting board/butcher block questions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The hekler

Reaction score
Okay I'm new here, have a few nice knives and figure out that it's time for me to get a decent cutting board/butcher block. I want something end grain and know that on this forum Boardsmith is the go to guy and have looked at his site and really like what I see but have a question about another guy I've seen. Does anyone have any experience with Al Ladd's products? Looking at his site he seems to put out a nice product but a little pricey, is it worth the extra money over boardsmith or are you just paying for the looks? If I was going to go with boardsmith I was thinking or the Carolina slab in Mahogany but would love to hear any points on favorite woods or sizes and the pro/cons of feet, I am leaning away from them.

Thanks in advance for the help and for this great forum.

I called Dave at Boardsmith last week and put an order in for two boards. I am sure if there is something in particular that you want he can make it. I dont know Ladd. But i chose Dave over Boos because i could pick up the phone discuss and get an answer. Plus custom is not a bad thing :)

BoardSMITH isn't the "goto" guy because we like him. His boards are arguably the best and his prices are pretty good, too. I'm sure there are others but I've found I spend a lot more money over the long haul if I try out a new source, in general.

I doubt anyone could produce a board the way Mr. Smith does and keep it at the same price. He's lucky to be so in-demand.

His boards are perfect for the application, and perform as best as you can expect a cutting block to perform. He really has thought of everything, pays attention to detail, and has the skill of a BoardSmith.

Not saying that he's better than that Ladd guy, I don't know his stuff(it sure is pretty though!). Just that there is not going to be a cutting board that will perform better, functionally speaking, than Dave's. I'm a fan of American Hard Rock Maple.

imho feet are important. They keep the board off the counter, out of puddles, and allow it to dry more easily. It's also that much easier to pick up when you want to move it.

I have a Boos that's 20x15x2.25 and it's a big pain in the ass to deal with with no feet. I keep telling myself I'm going to put some on it, but I never seem to remember to. Clean up is a PITA with that thing though, just trying to dry it. Also, god forbid I'm cutting a chicken or a roast and the juices leak out over the edge of the board, the board then sits in the mess until its convenient to clean everything up.

Ladd's boards look nice (his boxes look amazing) but I don't get the impression you are buying any more quality from him than you are with Boardsmith. The items on that price sure demand a premium price, one I would be unlikely to pay for a buncha silly designs. Then again, my board is for using, not for decoration. I know that is not the case in every kitchen.

Back