Which japanese knife type would be traditionally used to work with stone fruit?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LifeByA1000Cuts

Reaction score
Given the japanese seem to have a defined knife for every ingredient and have stone fruit, surely there is a "right" one (or combination) to use for preparing them?

A usuba or yanagi would certainly be damaged if you hit a stone or, even worse, make a rotating cut around it. A full deba would wedge or crush the fruit... and if I understand history correctly, boning knives haven't been needed there until comparatively recently?

Having a knife for every ingredient would take thousands of knife types. So that doesn't make any sense whatsoever. I didn't know there was a special melon knife. And where is the special knife to process humans for Cannibal Wednesdays?

All you need is to pick the opposite of what Bill Clinton would pick. Pick thin my friend.

Probably a fruit knife. Aka as a 120-150mm petty. Did the Japanese have double beveled kitchen knives back in the day. You could do this work with an Usuba if you had to. A mukimono should in theory be even more fragile than an usuba. Most I've seen are thinner.

jussayin' where's the proof any of these knives are so fragile?

Having a knife for every ingredient would take thousands of knife types. So that doesn't make any sense whatsoever. I didn't know there was a special melon knife. And where is the special knife to process humans for Cannibal Wednesdays?

All you need is to pick the opposite of what Bill Clinton would pick. Pick thin my friend.

There are melon knives and surely a bowie would be a suitable human knife? :hungry:

Wouldn't try to prep a peach with a saxophone.

"Having a knife for every ingredient would take thousands of knife types. "

No, of course not, but thousands of "use x knife for y ingredient" wisdom bits/rules :)

Would have guessed usuba/yanagi for working with the flesh, but an ajikiri/thick petty or other mini-deba for hitting the pit (not the moshpit :)... but I know while my thick petty (more deba-esque in geometry already at >2mm spine for a 120mm) is fun to use to go through peaches like the other presidents of the USA, that is still 187 on the edge...

Out of the japanese blade shapes, I'd go with a Kawamuki

In real life... I use a petty :scratchhead:

There are melon knives and surely a bowie would be a suitable human knife? :hungry:

If I don't see pictures you are full of lies kind sir. LIES!!!!

Bowies are general tactical knives. Show me that special blade you only pull out to roast a nicely fattened up couch potato raised chick(en) and use for no other ingredient.

Wouldn't try to prep a peach with a saxophone.

"Having a knife for every ingredient would take thousands of knife types. "

No, of course not, but thousands of "use x knife for y ingredient" wisdom bits/rules :)

Would have guessed usuba/yanagi for working with the flesh, but an ajikiri/thick petty or other mini-deba for hitting the pit (not the moshpit :)... but I know while my thick petty (more deba-esque in geometry already at >2mm spine for a 120mm) is fun to use to go through peaches like the other presidents of the USA, that is still 187 on the edge...

Your right, it would be tens of thousands, but so what? I was drinking sake at the time.

Maybe a usuba/yanagi on some of these shut-ins who don't see the light of day as they die of a heart attack with salty snacks in hand as they try to catch their 254th pokemon, but try that on a construction worker. Or someone who works in mine, it would be chip city man. I can dig the ajikiri though, but it doesn't scream specialized, more like good substitute.

Whoever posts a arrowhead because that was what the Aztecs (allegedly) used gets kicked in the knee caps!

If I don't see pictures you are full of lies kind sir. LIES!!!!

Bowies are general tactical knives. Show me that special blade you only pull out to roast a nicely fattened up couch potato raised chick(en) and use for no other ingredient.

Autopsy Knives! They're very task specific for human butchery and nobody used them for any other ingredient. :viking:

EDIT

You asked for a picture, here you go:

R31003-E-Macro-knives-1-800[1].jpg

I found another watermelon knife, maybe one day soon there will be a separate knife or invention for processing each fruit...

[video=youtube;reiarmOOGhc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reiarmOOGhc&index=30&list=PLKfWL8IXgKBte4TfD53pLaHONfSYCX0RH[/video]

Okay, I can concede with the autopsy knife. I'm sure they have something similar in Japan. The watermelon knife however is clearly Italian. Not to mention that new aged monstrosity has infomercial written all over it. I want something that I could take to Watanabe or Ashi that they would be familiar with.

If we put every culture together, just maybe we might have a special knife per ingredient.

I would put a 100 yen bet that if you called up your average knife forger in Japan and said "How long to make me a melon knife" the first question will be "how long?" Second question will be "what the hell is a melon knife?"

Okay, I can concede with the autopsy knife. I'm sure they have something similar in Japan. The watermelon knife however is clearly Italian. Not to mention that new aged monstrosity has infomercial written all over it. I want something that I could take to Watanabe or Ashi that they would be familiar with.

If we put every culture together, just maybe we might have a special knife per ingredient.

I know it's not Japanese, and I certainly wasn't recommending the above contraption; it just appeared in my YouTube feed, so it seemed wrong to not post it!

I'm sure they had a melon knife on A-frames at some point, if I remember correctly it was like a 12" long nakiri, but I couldn't find it when I looked.

I didn't mean to imply that one knife for each fruit would be a good thing and I don't disagree that the average Japanese bladesmith would have no idea what you were asking for if you asked for a melon knife.

You wld have to specify whether is is a regular round water melon or a Japanese square water-melon:bigeek: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=japanese water melons Also from what i can see here.. rock melons from Japan are really expensive!

Dont we all love our melons round and Big????:justkidding:

hv fun... D

apologies was referring to this post....

" I would put a 100 yen bet that if you called up your average knife forger in Japan and said "How long to make me a melon knife" the first question will be "how long?" Second question will be "what the hell is a melon knife?"

I know it's not Japanese, and I certainly wasn't recommending the above contraption; it just appeared in my YouTube feed, so it seemed wrong to not post it!

[emoji15]. What the hell are you watching for an autopsy knife to show on your feed.

Don't ask me over for dinner. [emoji28]

bummes me out when i get a peach that wont release the pit.

and i just use a swiss army knife :)

[emoji15]. What the hell are you watching for an autopsy knife to show on your feed.

Don't ask me over for dinner. [emoji28]

Hehehe.

I was referring to the video I posted showing the watermelon knife, not the autopsy knife!

There was a series about a decade ago called Anatomy for Beginners where a German doctor carried out autopsies, it was a lot of years ago, but I seem to recall him using Henckles.

*EDIT*

His name is Dr Gunther von Hagens and he's Polish.

Latest posts

Back