Teruyasu Fjuiwara Nakiri vs knuckle

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zetieum

Reaction score
It sounded like that:
chop-chop-chop-chop- AAAARRRG.
I directly put both my finger and the knife under water and cleaned them both. I did not want the one to be infected and the other to be stained (fresh blood is quite agressive).

Since it was not stoping bleeding after 15 min, I went to the nearest hospital. They looked how deep it was and decided to repair me with no further delay. 30 min later I was out with stitches.

Still I am quite proud: the doctor told me that the cut was very nice, like if has been done by a scalpel. I told him few words about sharpening and j-knives...

In conclusion, I would say that even if a nakiri is designed for vegetables. It works pretty well on meat.
EDIT: conclusion (n°2): I have to work on my skills

IMG_0410.JPG

Ouch I know how that feels (looking at my middle finger of my left hand..) :scared4:

Suisin IH Gyuto and chopping onions in a hurry on a camping table it was in my case...

Hope it heals quickly!

Lol, very nice story. Get well soon, my knut brother!

I'm right there with you, took a chunk out of my right middle finger, needed Asian slaw on the fly and was being careless in a hurry

Be careful. Fujiwara knives are so thin at the edge it's like the edge doesn't even exist in this realm. Never cut myself with it though.

Two months ago I was rushing slicing onions and felt a pinch on my right hand(I'm a leftie) and looked down only to see I removed a dime sized circle on my first knuckle :(. Took quite some time to regrow some meal lol.

Two months ago I was rushing slicing onions and felt a pinch on my right hand(I'm a leftie) and looked down only to see I removed a dime sized circle on my first knuckle :(. Took quite some time to regrow some meal lol.

I did the exact same thing (I'm also a lefty).

The skin was sliced but not completely removed so it was a big flap, I was able to reset the skin flap and within a couple of days it re-adhered.

:viking:

Yep right hand also since I am a lefty. Seems like there are quite a number of lefty on this forum!
24 hours later, it do not fell the pain and it looks clean. The doc told me to remove the stitches in 10 days. The one that is the most impress is my 4-years-old. It does not stop asking me question about it.

The skin was sliced but not completely removed so it was a big flap, I was able to reset the skin flap and within a couple of days it re-adhered.

Lucky you... skin was completely cut off in my case, so I had a pretty decent open wound and 2 days later I went on the Wacken Open Air Festival...

Luckily the medical accommodation is quite good there :viking:

I am fully empathic...have taken out parts of knuckle skin several times with my Itinomonn nakiri

Index finger knuckle, gyuto, cucumber, at work, few years ago. Plaster, gloves, carry on working. Still have the scar. Chef life. :)

No. If your cut could involve tendons you should always go to the hospital. Nothing hardcore or machismo about digit amputation

Yep. Definitively. the doctor told me that one should see a doc ASAP (the latest 6 hours after the cut) if your cut is:
- in on an articulation (i.e. knuckle is one),
- has something in it ,
- bleeds more than 15 min,
- bleeds in pulsation (artery cut)
- fells like swarming above the cut
- is in the palm of the hand
- if the borders of the cut are not in contact (teared)
- if raw sea-food is involved somehow.

In conclusion, I would say that even if a nakiri is designed for vegetables. It works pretty well on meat.

1) Glad you're ok!

2) One of the PBS cooking shows the GF watches had a guy slicing sausage with a nakiri. Wondered why, but it certainly worked.

Hope it heals up nicely! A quick tip if you don't want to go to the ER for sutures is to use CA glue. I do, works wonders. Especially if you can glue the wound edges together just like they are supposed to stay. Stops the bleeding and pain immediately, heals without a scar. That's what CA was used for when it was discovered during the Vietnam war. The medical CA is only a longer chain cyanoacrylate which cures slower so you have a bit more time before it sets.

I love Martin Yan explaining how to chop!
[video=youtube;HV8FPk5qN9k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV8FPk5qN9k[/video] About 1min into the video

Hope it heals up nicely! A quick tip if you don't want to go to the ER for sutures is to use CA glue. I do, works wonders. Especially if you can glue the wound edges together just like they are supposed to stay. Stops the bleeding and pain immediately, heals without a scar. That's what CA was used for when it was discovered during the Vietnam war. The medical CA is only a longer chain cyanoacrylate which cures slower so you have a bit more time before it sets.

I love Martin Yan explaining how to chop!

Thanks for the glue tip tip, but I think I will keep the ER as a resource: I live in Europe, it is free and the nearest hospital is 15 min walking. But I keep the tip when I travel.

The video is -- h i l a r i o u s --. Thanks a lot!

Wow hospitals in Europe sound way better than even Canada where we (apparently) have free health care… I had to wait for a number of hours to see a dr and was told they couldn't do anything. The cut was at the tip of my finger thru the nail after a botched attempt to rescue a falling blade.

Wow hospitals in Europe sound way better than even Canada where we (apparently) have free health care… I had to wait for a number of hours to see a dr and was told they couldn't do anything. The cut was at the tip of my finger thru the nail after a botched attempt to rescue a falling blade.

ouch.. Even reading it is painful. Indeed the health system in Germany/France/Belgium is excellent. I have to say I was quite impressed, since usually your wait a bit at the ER: they take the most urgent first. When you bleed, they usually take you fast.

Been a couple of times I should have probably gone to the doc for what I thought were small things. Broke a bone in my hand right behind the knuckle of my pinky finger, took me 2 weeks to finally go get X-rays and have it casted. The bad thing is that it was the bruise that didn't go away that made me eventually go to the doc. Not the fact I could feel it move when I flipped fryer baskets or poured drinks. I'll chalk that one up to being in denial that I broke my own hand being a dumbass. I've been lucky with knives for the most part...except for one time I put the flat tip of a tanto style pocket knife into my left index finger while drunk cutting chicken wings. A speedy recovery to you sir!

carbonext 240 vs my index finger the other day. sliced clean didnt bleed initially. Fresh off the stones :thumbsup: directly above is a healed straight chop from my tojiro into the same finger doing the same task...

trying to triple layer peppers to push cut julienne <1mm at speed.

click for a bigger picture

I have a tendency to not hold my knife straight (read: askew, like an airplane banking right) when I'm tired or whatever sometimes, resulting in this.

ouch. I know people who show their scars from diverse wars (Afghanistan, Mali, central Africa).
Here it is more associated with diverse vegetables (peppers, onions, carrots). It is much more poetic. Considering the state of the world in the last years, I sincerely hope that the scars to come will only be associated with vegetables.

BTW: does a piece of skin enhance the taste of the peppers?

there was a video i remember seeing on Saltydogs youtube where he cut the same spot as you did. but went all the way down to the next nuckle. and just yelled "Awe heck" -- i cant find the video now ... but i will unless he took it down, which is a possibility.
I slowed down my chopping ALOT after that

there was a video i remember seeing on Saltydogs youtube where he cut the same spot as you did. but went all the way down to the next nuckle. and just yelled "Awe heck" -- i cant find the video now ... but i will unless he took it down, which is a possibility.
I slowed down my chopping ALOT after that

it is called "out of practice", I think he posted it here before, but am not sure where. Anyways here it is:
[video=youtube;PJjOHUnMa8o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJjOHUnMa8o[/video]
note there is NSFW language (depending on where you work of course ;))

it is called "out of practice", I think he posted it here before, but am not sure where. Anyways here it is:
note there is NSFW language (depending on where you work of course ;))

This guy shows no respect for his knife. He just throws it on the board like a dirty tissue and insults it. He should admire the quality and the thinness of the cut of his skin instead: what a nice and sharp blade that fall through knuckles like it was butter!

Nasty cut there zetieum. I feel the pain of your sliced finger and all the other war stories here.

I too have sliced my own flesh more than once and it's not just the physical pain I feel - it's amplified by the shame of it all. I'm only a part time home cook so if I worked in a kitchen for a living, I would be missing bits by now... as demonstrated in Martin Yan's video. :lol2:

Back when I had poor technique I stabbed myself a couple of times due to inattention when I first got my TF 210 gyutos. Learned very quickly keep my hands behind the sharp pointy bits.

So it has been ten days. I removed the stitches myself. A bit complicated, but it went smoothly. It looks good. The scar will not be visible since it looks like the natural skin folds of the knuckle. So, no pain, no problems, but I learned my lesson.

Latest posts

Back