Finding little treasures

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith Sinclair

Reaction score
IMG_0474[1].jpg

This is the bottom room at ground level that I am fixing up. When cleaning this place found original first & second edition Dec. 7 1941 Honolulu Star & other editions up to the middle of that month. Ended up selling to a New York archive newspaper dealer for 1,500.00. The guy who collected these newspapers was Denis Hashimoto (Janice Uncle) He was in the 442 and was KIA on july 4 1944 in Italy. Hill 140. The towns of Rosignano on the left and Castelina on the right. These were German strong points from which they had excellent observation and directed heavy artillery fire. Found the folded flag which we donated to punchbowl cemetery where he is buried. One of the many things found was this small chest that I restored

IMG_0531[1].jpg

After my friend Ito & I put in a drywall ceiling the wood strips cover the seams. After researching applying drywall tape up to 3 layers of mud feathering the edges decided against it. To much room for screw up. For a pro that does it all the time no big deal. Primed the concrete blocks & put on a white with a little blue. Painted the ceiling flat white. Rolled it. Detail like window frames & edges did with a brush. Hiring a guy to lay ceramic tile floor

IMG_0548[1].jpg

While cleaning the kitchen found many worn old cardboard boxes with Japanese dishes this is just a small sample most of these came in boxes of six. About 5 nice tea pots, beautiful painted bamboo serving trays, lots of lacquer ware much of it never used. Little ceramic fish to rest chopsticks on And some very cool single pieces.

IMG_0554[1].jpg

IMG_0555[1].jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0479[1].jpg
    IMG_0479[1].jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 72
Thanks for sharing, Keith. Glad to hear it worked out with the newspapers. Where is the house again?

Stefan

Upper Pahoa valley. The top floor has unobstructed view of Punchbowl, Downtown, Honolulu Harbor. If going up the Pali Hwy. to the right you turn up into Pahoa. The house is a corner lot pretty far back high up in the valley that's why such a good view.

Wow that's pretty cool stuff Keith. Glad to see things are going so well. The chest and dishes are real treasures. That must have been very cool finding this stuff. I just finished a two year house gutting remodel. All I found was bills and dust!

A whole house gutting & remodeling Dave that is a lot of work. Where & what kind of house did you remodel?

Had to fix up the bottom room first so could move in some of my stuff. The rest of the house will be an on going project. Much of the tung & grove have gaps that need caulking. One bedroom upstairs will fix up first. Plan to strip the hardwood floor & refinish.

The yard, garden, & house will keep me busy with projects for quite some time :coffeelots:

i just got a house.

one week in, and i had a fleeting thought.."damn,,i kinda miss my apartment" i'm tired..chasing problems i bought :)

i'm finding solace in reminding myself of all the problems i sold too..

nice work salty..you have skilz.

Back