Help Choosing Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FFL8

Reaction score
Hello everyone, names Matt been an Army cook for 6 years going for 20. I'm about to start culinary school and I'm getting involved into The Military Culinary Arts Competitive Training Event.
Thanks in advance for helping a newbie out. Feel free to persuade me I have an open mind.

USA

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Chef's knife, paring knife, fillet/boning knife.

Are you right or left handed?
Right handed.

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? Japanese handle.

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
Chef 10 in, paring 4in, fillet 7in

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
Yes

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
$500 for all three.

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Professional

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.) pretty much everything.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
Zwilling henckels 4 star.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.) hammer grip mostly aswell as pinch grip

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.) rocking and push cut

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.
Lighter, improved balance, better food release, Damascus,
Easy to sharpen, better edge retention.

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Synthetic

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)
No
Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes

Something like this would probably be a good option:

http://www.knivesandstones.com/tojiro-powdered-high-speed-steel-gyuto-chef-240mm-f-521/

Note that prices are in aud.
Not a Japanese handle but good edge retention.

JKI should have some good options, but I have no experience with those.

What were your thoughts on sharpening ?
The recommendation here is going to be stones.
Pick up a 1000/6000 combo stone.

Welcome to the forum and happy shopping.

Something like this would probably be a good option:

http://www.knivesandstones.com/tojiro-powdered-high-speed-steel-gyuto-chef-240mm-f-521/

Note that prices are in aud.
Not a Japanese handle but good edge retention.

JKI should have some good options, but I have no experience with those.

What were your thoughts on sharpening ?
The recommendation here is going to be stones.
Pick up a 1000/6000 combo stone.

Welcome to the forum and happy shopping.

Thanks for the reply, I was actually looking at tojiro dp, but wasn't sure if I should go vg-10 or a step higher.

I didn't mention but I will not be using these knifes at my normal job. It's just to fast paced, and not as much care is given. I will keep my Zwilling for that. Also I'm a shift leader which doesn't involve a lot of cooking anymore, more training and supervising. Getting into Japanese knifes will be for personal use as well as culinary school, competition.

I will also need some water stones.

Lighter, improved balance, better food release, Damascus,
Easy to sharpen, better edge retention/QUOTE]

= Tanaka VG10 Damascus.
It ticks every box on your list.

From Knives and stones you can get it with a nice wa handle and good f&f for a very fair price.

+1 for the combo stone to start with.

Thanks for the reply, I was actually looking at tojiro dp, but wasn't sure if I should go vg-10 or a step higher.

I didn't mention but I will not be using these knifes at my normal job. It's just to fast paced, and not as much care is given. I will keep my Zwilling for that. Also I'm a shift leader which doesn't involve a lot of cooking anymore, more training and supervising. Getting into Japanese knifes will be for personal use as well as culinary school, competition.

I will also need some water stones.

The Tojiro DPs are a solid choice, but from what I've heard, the Tojiro PM is a thinner knife, better cutter, and the steel will hold an edge for longer, probably a fair bit longer.

The Tanaka knife recommended by JaVa, is also an option. I have a Tanaka Blue 2 and Nashiji (not the VG10 damascus) and they are very good knives, and James (at knives and stones) puts a nice handle on.

Pick something that takes your eye and have a play with it for a while, or post a query on something you like for feedback.

JCK offer a lot of options, many of them within your budget.
Jon at JKI will be able to help you, many people recommend giving him a ring.

As for stones, something of the size 20cm by 8 cm (ish) would be a good size, bigger is better.
I prefer splash and go, for convenience, rather than soakers.

Back