Looking for a new suji/yanagiba

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKerr

Reaction score
As the title suggests, I'm looking for a new slicer. Here's my criteria:
Must be wa handled (preferably D shape, but not a big deal)
Preferably carbon, but stainless would be considered
270-300 on the edge
Around $400AUD max, roughly $300 USD

Will be used professionally, only on raw, boneless meats - fish, poultry, pork, beef, lamb etc etc.
I'm thinking a suji would probably be a better option for me, but due to the nature of what I'll be using it for, perhaps a yanagi would be a good choice too? I have very limited experience with them so I'm not sure. I do intend to delve into single bevels again so I intend to pick one up sooner or later.
Sharpening wise, confident with double bevels, I've sharpened a few single bevels I've had in the past and I'm happy to invest the time into learning and improving.

Here's what I've been considering so far:
Sujis:
Toyama Noborikoi 270 blue (2?)
Sakai Yasuke 300 white 2
Ashi 300 white 2
Masamoto KS 270 white 2 (always sold out)

Yanagiba:
Toyama Noborikoi 300 blue (2?) - pushing the budget though
Mizuno Tanrenjo 300 white 2
Masamoto KS 300 white 2
Sakai Takayuki Takujou 300 white 2

Got pretty good advice not long ago in a similar thread for a new gyuto and ended up with a Toyama, which after getting use to, I'm very happy with. So I'm keen to here some thoughts and feedback again.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Cheers,
Josh K

my 0.02$:
- Masakage yuki: match your criteria (oval handle), ss clad make the maintenance easy. It is a robust suji perfect for meat. It is very good also for fish but not the best of the best because of the finish
- Wakui White 2 suji: match your criteria (plus D shape handle). I never tried it, but I was told it was as good as the yuki but thinner thus it should better on fish.

Josh ,
I use suji a lot at work for the same purposes , I tried to replace the suji with yanagiba but unless you are doing sashimi in big numbers suji excels in everything else, better balance , no steering , less chippy , usable height to service as main knife if needed , portioning large primals , filleting fish , cutting large melons etc . I could just take a suji to work and be fine with it
Old sabatier chef knives are quite short , you may pick one and use as a slicer , they are great bang for the buck too

Nice to hear that you are in the end happy with Toyama gyuto, Josh. I don't use suji much, but happy with yoshihide western handle I have. Not too long ago, I had Syousin Chiku AS stainless cladded 270 suji from James (K&S) to play with for a while. Out of that bunch gyuto, suji, and petty, I liked suji the best. It is not too light, not too heavy, quite stiff, and performed quite well.

Had Sakai yusuke white 2 300mm once a long time ago, but it was a touch whippy being so thin. Slightly stiff to stiff suji is nice, I think.

Back