what knife is in your pocket right now.?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomchakabowwow

Reaction score
i just moved into my new house. it is amazing how often you need a knife. opening a box, cutting back a vine, opening a fruit, etc.

i've been carrying a regular vanilla, white bread, plain jane, boring. aluminum handled SWISS army knife. i think it is the farmer model. knife, can opener, bottle opener..some sharp probe thing.

i love the thing. it gets razor sharp with a stropping. i used the screwdriver to fix all the electrical sockets, until i unpacked my tools. at the end of the day..PFFFSsh! it opens my pilsner!

yesterday, i used it to cut out a biologist all tangled up in some jute netting. hahaha..i love it when i hear the words, "hey does anyone have a knife?"

you have an EDC?

at work: spyderco caly3 super blue
everything else: spyderco dragonfly2 hap40 (with the scales dyed black)

WP_20160415_19_51_25_Pro_zpssplj9bd6.jpg~original

That's not a knife in my pocket...I'm just happy to see you! :wink:

Bladeforums 2015 forum knife made by Canal Street Cutlery. It is very lightweight (some 54g) has 2 very useful blades that both run on the same spring and looks really nice. 440C holds the edge more than well enough for its use (cutting apple, opening boxes, etc.). Strangely - contrary to being extremely useful this seem to be very uncommon pattern (configuration) of a larger clip point and smaller sheepsfoot (or wharncliffe) blade. I may have a custom knife made like this one day.

I love this little knife - nobody raises an eyebrow when I use it in our office (in Germany).

For little more demanding tasks I use Delica in HAP40 as it has incredible edge retention and thanks to its thin grind glides through carboard boxes. I am not crazy about this knife visually - the 'burned orange' handle looks more like 'baby poo', but it sits well ind hand and it cuts well.

And for outdoor use I have recently got a discontinued EKA Swede 60 with carbon steel blade (black coated with something) - that knife is very tough and gets carried when a fixed blade would be 'socially too much'. I plan to replace the rather ugly white plastic handle with some nice wood scales. The blade takes incredible edge.

Shown next to Southard Tolk - and amazing, but for me too large and too expensive knife.

should I continue or is that enough? ;)

Kershaw Leek, gets nice and sharp, easy to clean, wasn't too expensive

Using a Leek now too. Thinned it down and now it cuts more like a kitchen knife. Not a beater, but still very practical.

I'm thinking of picking up an EDC, this thread is giving me ideas. Definitely don't want too expensive or fancy, been eyeing some buck offerings, but in Canada have to ensure its not assisted opening such as switchblade

Bladeforums 2015 forum knife made by Canal Street Cutlery. It is very lightweight (some 54g) has 2 very useful blades that both run on the same spring and looks really nice. 440C holds the edge more than well enough for its use (cutting apple, opening boxes, etc.). Strangely - contrary to being extremely useful this seem to be very uncommon pattern (configuration) of a larger clip point and smaller sheepsfoot (or wharncliffe) blade. I may have a custom knife made like this one day.

I love this little knife - nobody raises an eyebrow when I use it in our office (in Germany).

For little more demanding tasks I use Delica in HAP40 as it has incredible edge retention and thanks to its thin grind glides through carboard boxes. I am not crazy about this knife visually - the 'burned orange' handle looks more like 'baby poo', but it sits well ind hand and it cuts well.

And for outdoor use I have recently got a discontinued EKA Swede 60 with carbon steel blade (black coated with something) - that knife is very tough and gets carried when a fixed blade would be 'socially too much'. I plan to replace the rather ugly white plastic handle with some nice wood scales. The blade takes incredible edge.

Shown next to Southard Tolk - and amazing, but for me too large and too expensive knife.

should I continue or is that enough? ;)

Damn Matus... you must have some big pockets....

Got my first Delica ZDP-189 dark green. Like it's size & lighter weight. Replaced my super blue that have been carrying quite a while.

Using a Leek now too. Thinned it down and now it cuts more like a kitchen knife. Not a beater, but still very practical.

Another Leek here. Easy breakdown for cleaning, nice profile, reversible clip, assisted open, great warranty. The torsion bar stays tight for ages too. Had to stick a piece of skate tape on mine to keep it from slipping when my hands are wet, but for the most part it's about perfect.

Damn Matus... you must have some big pockets....

To be honest the big Eka is carried in a shoulder bag. It is indeed too thick/large/heavy for the pocket. Delica and the slipjoint are very pocketable. I use a leather pouch for the slipjoint - improves the ergonomics in the pocket tremendously and keeps the knife safe at the same time.

This is about all that's legal in my neck of the woods.

This is about all that's legal in my neck of the woods.

Like this ;)
[video=youtube_share;mcE0aAhbVFc]http://youtu.be/mcE0aAhbVFc[/video]

I think I remember a thread where some obscure knife law in the UK pretty much prohibits even a chef carrying knives in public?

This wasn't in the UK, but apparently a chef was arrested caring a knife bag, police apparently stole some knives like Bill Burkes

I understand that a slipjoint knife with blade under 3" is OK un UK for EDC or anything else if you have a good enough reason (but that is a poor definition)

Like this ;)

I think I remember a thread where some obscure knife law in the UK pretty much prohibits even a chef carrying knives in public?

This wasn't in the UK, but apparently a chef was arrested caring a knife bag, police apparently stole some knives like Bill Burkes

Same sort of rule applies in Aus. Though I imagine the UK would generally treat it practically like we do in that Chef Knives, carried in a bag would be ok, if it looked like you were coming or going from work.

Otherwise you can technically get done for carrying a weapon.

Like this ;)

I see you've played knifey-spooney before! :viking:

I keep the SOG rescue tool in my car. I think that is the only knife I ever got as a present from my wife :)

I have a Georg Jensen Pyramid dinner knife in my pocket from when I was carrying out silverware to the porch.

Back