Looking for simple wa handles

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanjams

Reaction score
I know this question has been asked in the past, but the results aren't up to date.. I'm looking for a few simple ho or yew wa handles with buffalo ferrule. Even pakka ferrule would do. Epicurean edge isn't carrying their basic handles anymore. I got a quote and might end up ordering from Koki but wanted to know if there are more options out there. Looking to outfit a 210 gyuto, 240 gyuto, 210-240 petty/suji project. Would always be nice to have a spare kicking around, too. Thanks for your input!

I was in a similar position. You best bet is probably contacting guys like Dave who offer rehandle services - they may have some original WA handles left.

There is shortage of 'standard' WA handles in Japan what is also the reason why these are hard to find on western markets. There was recently a thread discussing this with quite some interesting input.

Thanks Matus. I do remember reading that thread, didn't recall it was so recent. That would explain things

It's a good time to start your first diy wa handle 8)

Haha, I've made my first one already, a simple one-piece handle in spalted tamarind. Sitting on some ebony and osage orange now.. Just have to make it out to my folks' to use my dad's drill press and power sanders. That tang slot was a pain, even with the drill press, and freehanding the shaping left a bit to be desired. I am looking forward to getting after it again but hoped to find a plug and play option, plus I understand horn is not the easiest to work with. I've got mad respect for the craftsmen!

Back