Quantcast
konosuke zdp-189 gyuto
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: konosuke zdp-189 gyuto

konosuke zdp-189 gyuto

Anyone see This konosuke zdp-189 gyuto? http://www.toshoknifearts.com/shop/k...-collaboration what do you think?

I think it is way too expensive.
    I'd rather get a honyaki knife to that.

Quote Originally Posted by mainaman View Post
    I think it is way too expensive.
    I'd rather get a honyaki knife to that.
    It's also Canadian dollars. The edge would probably last way longer than a honyaki knife.

Quote Originally Posted by obtuse View Post
    It's also Canadian dollars. The edge would probably last way longer than a honyaki knife.
    I'm sure this is a great knife. However, zdp is well known to lose it's ultimate sharpness relatively quickly. How long the edge would last depends on what you use it. I'm not convinced zdp would outlast carbon steel cutting non-acidic foods by any significant margin. If you're talking about cutting acidic foods, any decent stainless will outlast any non-stainless.

I'm very well aware of that. I just thought it was interesting that konosuke would produce a zdp-189 knife. I doubt many people have tried zdp-189, I certainly can't afford to. In my mind I can tell myself that the HD is just as good. I wonder what they think about the steel at konosuke.

I personally do not subscriibe to the mystic of ZDP, it could be superb steel but IMHO HRC 66+ is not what tells the story.
    From what the description says this s custom production knife, so if they are not making it on a reg basis that means it is not worth the trouble.
    I can see how one can buy this from a pure collector stand point though.

Quote Originally Posted by mainaman View Post
    I personally do not subscriibe to the mystic of ZDP, it could be superb steel but IMHO HRC 66+ is not what tells the story.
    From what the description says this s custom production knife, so if they are not making it on a reg basis that means it is not worth the trouble.
    I can see how one can buy this from a pure collector stand point though.
    The custom knife HRC is 66-68, the production knives are going to be HRC 65. At the bottom of the site, they are taking pre-orders.

Isn't ZDP and Cowry X, similar steels? Maybe that is what burnishes ZDP's reputation. And yes I know that they are both powdered steels.

I've been looking to pick up some toys, from Canada. The Canadian dollar is worth more then the American dollar.

RRLover from the forum that shall not be named, owns a ZDP gyuto. He put it up for sale, a few weeks ago.

Japanese Chef Knives, has ZDP knives at a lower price. In my eyes they are also a better looking knife.

Jay

Not really a fan of the profile either.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    Not really a fan of the profile either.
    Agreed. I think this knife got way to much belly and rise towards the tip for a Jp gyuto. It's almost like a Kramer suji

DarKHoek

Quote Originally Posted by jaybett View Post
    Isn't ZDP and Cowry X, similar steels?
    Both have 3% carbon and 20% chromium plus some additives and can be hardened into the high 60s rockwell C.