Quantcast
The Perfect Glass
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Perfect Glass

The Perfect Glass

After the 'what are you drinking thread' I started thinking about what I like to drink, and then I started thinking about my favorite glassware.

I know that we all search for those perfect knives, but I also love great glassware. About a year and a half ago I ordered two stems of Lobmeyr's Patrician Champagne Goblets. It's an amazing glass (see picture below).

I know that the champagne coupes are not that practical, but I love the classic look and how they can be used for cocktails too.

Anyhow, after about 18 months I finally got my two glasses in August of this year. That's a longer wait than a Devin knife, but less than the Hattori KD. And it is a pretty amazing glass.

FYI -- The photo is from Food&Wine.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

i like Glencairn glasses (though the ones from several years ago were nicer than what is currently being made), and the Winston glass from Crate and Barrel. i never use the Winston glass for single malt, as the shape is all wrong, but it's great for old-fashioneds and similar cocktails. i'm a really big fan of the Spiegelau Bordeaux glasses, too. i find those to be great with a very wide variety of wines. in general i like thin glasses, Glencairns not-withstanding, but i can usually manage with about anything as long as the drink contained within is a good enough distraction from the glassware.

So....how much does a custom ordered champagne goblet cost?
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    So....how much does a custom ordered champagne goblet cost?
    I was wondering the same thing. I will venture $250 for the set?

I don't have any fancy custom glasses.... I do have a Chihuly bowl though
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***

Custom ordered glasses? I never heard of such a thing and I will try my best to forget it again immediately...

I just got into Riedel glasses a while ago and still like their cheaper vinum series as everyday wine glasses - I mostly use the chablis glas for everyday whites or lighter reds and the shiraz glasses for reds. I also have a few of the more expensive sommelier series, but they always frighten me a bit because they are so delicate. But I like my sparklings from the sommelier champagne glasses and I love the sauternes ones for dessert wines in general. Undecided about the single malt glass, I usually prefer that in the port glasses. As for beer, I don't have much of a selection, I prefer half liter glass mugs or steins. For some of the stronger artisan beers, I just use smaller pressed glass water glasses. Not the best, but buying new glasses is pretty low on my priority list right now.

Stefan

Mason jars rule!
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Riedel for wine and champagne here!

Riedel Vinum for wine and single malts. beer goes into glasses from my daughter
    Few of my friends own these http://baccarat.neimanmarcus.com/sto...ndex=40&tid=C9

Quote Originally Posted by wenus2 View Post
    I was wondering the same thing. I will venture $250 for the set?

I don't have any fancy custom glasses.... I do have a Chihuly bowl though
    Dale Chihuly is an amazing American craftsman!
    Everything in this house is made from clay, cups, bowls, plates, mugs, etc, all different, different potters.
    Tom Gray, Seagrove, NC

first think i thouhgt of was zeiss "glass"
    i dont even want to get started on a nice collection of "drinking cups"

+ Reply to Thread