Our new and improved site is under construction - tells us what you would like to see there...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsuriru

Reaction score
Our new and improved site is under construction. Construction and beta testing should be completed in about a month or two. The new site will be different from what you have perhaps grown accustomed to in the past. Many aspects of how we will be conducting business are about to change with this new site and this will, hopefully, result in several things to look forward to in terms of the overall experience.

Expect the following:

1. A knife wizard that will allow you to design and order your knife from us. This system will cut down on the amount of email - back-and forth exchanges because it will make it possible for anyone to intuitively realize what is or is not possible for us to include in your order at any given time.

2. A far more streamlined checkout process:
Our new checkout procedure will allow for several payment options. This will allow you to pay for your order up front OR in equal monthly payments OR in installments at varying sums and at varying dates - whatever is most comfortable and desirable for you.
The system will also grant "brownie points" during your ordering process. These will be converted into coupon form which you will be able to use in your next order with us.

3. waiting list / transparency / and delivery deadlines:

The new site will enable any order to be tracked in terms of time and %completed (as in a progress bar scheme). The shop's work load will also show with a rating of "Low" "Normal" and "high" with respective waiting times for new orders. Upon ordering a knife the order will include the estimated date of shipping. as the date of shipping approaches, the customer will be contacted - either with an email notifying them of the work being completed. In cases where for some reason we do not meet the ascribed deadline, an email offering an immediate refund of all funds payed for the order. This email will also contain an option for the extension of the deadline to a known date, for those who wish to exercise some patience and continue with the order.

4. Shipping:
Shipping will be done using safe and insured EMS with the Israel Post. No hidden costs. Order shipping prices will be calculated by total weight (including packaging) and in accordance to the updated prices of the service.

Here is a video showing the "beta" version. Please note this is NOT what the new and improved system will be like - it just goes to show you in what direction the new and improved TC Blades site is headed. Some of the products seen on the video will no longer be available such as straight razors which we do not make any longer - but there will be new knife types on offer which sort of balances things.

[video=youtube;DyfAYF_UGks]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyfAYF_UGks[/video]

We would appreciate your feedback and input on this so we can further streamline the system, and indeed, our level of service to our clientele.

This looks really cool. I am looking forward to play around :)

I will be posting a link to a "watered down" version of the site soon, and this will allow anyone who wants to try it out.

Meanwhile, I just want to say that we are following some threads regarding some troubling instances from the relatively near past. We do try to listen to what folks here are saying. We try to learn from our own mistakes - and from mistakes made by others. But we would really appreciate if people would throw some feedback in our direction. Im not saying we will necesarrily adopt each and every idea as policy - but we will definitely consider any and all comments.

I guess the best news about the whole thing is that we will be able to go down a bit. Good news all around right? :)

2. A far more streamlined checkout process:
Our new checkout procedure will allow for several payment options. This will allow you to pay for your order up front OR in equal monthly payments OR in installments at varying sums and at varying dates - whatever is most comfortable and desirable for you.
The system will also grant "brownie points" during your ordering process. These will be converted into coupon form which you will be able to use in your next order with us.

Ok. Here is an update regarding the expected payment options: We may have jumped the gun regarding the various payment options available through paypal. Our original intention was to use paypal enhanced payments so as to be able to offer you installment plans etc. HOWEVER, it turns out that our account now "belongs" to paypal Israel (Not paypal USA as it was in the past. As such, we are not able to use the enhanced payment option as it is not offered here in Israel. This means that at this point we can only present our buyers with one single invoice for the entire sum when ordering a knife. We are investigating some alternatives at this time and will continue to update on this subject when a viable solution is discovered.

Hello everyone,

Another update for you all. Our new site is now completed. We welcome everyone to come to our new site at www.tcblades.net and enjoy. Please contact me directly either by PM or eMail at [email protected] if you have any questions or need any assistance with anything.

Best wishes,

Tslil

Not to be a nitpicker, but started scoping out a Nakiri (shocked anyone) and am I wrong but are the hand orientation on the D shaped handles in the wrong order? So I'm a bit confused...

You can choose either a left handed or a right handed orientation. Its really up to you. The orientation shown in the image will be the orientation of the handle you receive. The rounded portion designates the orientation and the ridge portion designates the "opposite" side. Of course, we may differ on how we define "right and left handed orientations" but this is why graphic information is also provided. And if you still feel there is a need to clarify absolutely how you would like your handle to be mounted on the blade, you can always stress this point by using our "special request" section and describe both textually as well as graphically (by attaching a relevant sketch or photo) and we will confirm it with you before you proceed to completion of your order.

I tried it out and ran into an oddity with the spacers. When I was adding them, they were showing up near the collar. When I was done, they were shown near the butt of the handle. Also, when I used the Back button on the site (not the browser), it allowed me to change the saya, but the handle and spacer options remained "locked", and I couldn't change them.

UX hint: Javascript links in a "further info" tend to confuse, since what (probably not only) I am instinctively doing is to middle click them while already focusing my eyes on the browser tab bar :) And the text could often go right below the image.

And going back to the blade category to change the blade length will disable most of the handle options even if they aren't set yet...

Stupid question: Is there intentionally no "no saya" option?

I tried it out and ran into an oddity with the spacers. When I was adding them, they were showing up near the collar. When I was done, they were shown near the butt of the handle. Also, when I used the Back button on the site (not the browser), it allowed me to change the saya, but the handle and spacer options remained "locked", and I couldn't change them.

I tried, but could not recreate the oddity you refer to regarding the spacer location. Could you tell me what type of knife you where designing? how many spacers? spacer materials etc? same goes for the handle and spacer options "locking" after the use of the sites "back button". This will take me a long way towards recreating this set of circumstances and perhaps getting to the bottom of this. Thanks,

Stupid question: Is there intentionally no "no saya" option?

Not a stupid question at all. All our knives come complete with Sayas. This is meant to protect the knife during transit to you from us, and provide you with the ability to store and transport the knife later on as well.

Ahh, so you're not having these slender cardboard boxes with a complimentary glass bottle of blade oil that could beat a chunk out of the edge if it ever became unstuck :)

Just maybe the starting price should include all the non-optional things that come at a price - I see with a simple knife that is the kurouchi finish, one spine thickness option, a round handle, and a basic saya at least ... since you're not offering unfinished blades of nondescript thickness without handle without saya, no point in making the base price independent of the cheapest mandatory options? - but I'm nitpicking.

And BTW, since it seems you are making the blades to order anyway, would different HT options and different initial grind and sharpening options make sense?

And BTW, since it seems you are making the blades to order anyway, would different HT options and different initial grind and sharpening options make sense?

Im not exactly sure what different HT options means to be honest. All our blades are hand made using traditional means. Naturally, if a blade....lets say for arguments sake a butcher's cleaver, is being made - it will be deferentially heat treated (clayback process) so as to accommodate the relatively violent impact caused during use. Other knives may also be deferentially heat treated or integrally heat treated.

The main option I would recommend in any instance of particular notions and special requests - be it regarding the geometry of the blade, the HT process or what have you is to go ahead and send in a special request, make it as elaborate textually and graphically as you possibly can to get your thoughts across, and we will get back to you with a negative answer OR a relevant price quote. This would of course be done before you complete your order with us.

We do offer standard grade options in our products section, but I am mainly addressing the various options on the automated system.

Ahh, so you're not having these slender cardboard boxes with a complimentary glass bottle of blade oil that could beat a chunk out of the edge if it ever became unstuck :)

Just maybe the starting price should include all the non-optional things that come at a price - I see with a simple knife that is the kurouchi finish, one spine thickness option, a round handle, and a basic saya at least ... since you're not offering unfinished blades of nondescript thickness without handle without saya, no point in making the base price independent of the cheapest mandatory options? - but I'm nitpicking.

I don't mind demystifying this for you. A long time ago we made the conscious decission that we would not deal in parts, but rather provide a complete product. The look and feel of this product is a package deal that comes along with the rest of the attributes shared by all TC Blades knives. What we charge is based in the most part on the time needed to create each and every option and added to it is the relevant cost of materials. Some materials are local and can be sourced easily and a relatively lower cost while other materials need to be imported and as such cost more. Some aspects of knife making take much longer to achieve, some things take less time effort and experience. Tasks that require more, cost more.

However, note that while you may feel a bit uncomfortable with the "mandatory structure" of some of the aspects of the system - it DOES reward you with some lee way and control over your design, and offers pretty nice "brownie points" which you can cash in on your next purchase with us - and this means that return customers can save in a big way on future purchases with us. The brownie point system is an algorithm that will reward you more on high end purchases and less on low end purchases. which on the most part coincide with our standard product list anyway. And so it comes full circle - say you are interested in a very simple and standard kurouchi but have a special request about it's particular geometry or grind. You design this on the system, send in your special request. Receive a price offer for that particular order + any brownie points triggered by this.

"deferentially heat treated (clayback process)"

Your treat he fact you make differentially heat treated blades too deferentially :)

I was more thinking of "there's a slider for the blade length, why not for the HRC too?"

No issues with these options being mandatory (you make it clear enough in the FAQ that you're not in the knife parts business!), just unusual - it seems to be common for custom items in webshops that the first price the customer sees is that for the minimum configuration that can actually be bought...

"deferentially heat treated (clayback process)"

Your treat he fact you make differentially heat treated blades too deferentially :)

Yes....a typo, my apology :)

I was more thinking of "there's a slider for the blade length, why not for the HRC too?"
While o1 tool steel does offer a lower range of HRC we tend to keep our HRC around 62-64 along the cutting edge, and again - this is not an exact science it's done using traditional methods. Bear in mind that HRC, as Im sure you are aware is only part of the story regarding good blade steel, so it's a bit misleading in a way.

No issues with these options being mandatory (you make it clear enough in the FAQ that you're not in the knife parts business!), just unusual - it seems to be common for custom items in webshops that the first price the customer sees is that for the minimum configuration that can actually be bought...

I fail to see how this is any different. Our "Standard grade" items are offered in our products section and represent exactly that: the minimum configuration that can actually be bought. The custom wizard allows you to choose a wider range of finishes and material upgrades and as such cost more + allows you to send us any further requests that are not offered explicitly, but may very well be entertained as plausible options to incorporate in your order. The wizard just makes it easier for folks to explore various options that we know are historically in demand and that we have on offer.

Oh, I wasn't trying to be nitpicky on orthography, I was amazed you are doing honyaki blades and not even advertising it blatantly!

Oh, I wasn't trying to be nitpicky on orthography, I was amazed you are doing honyaki blades and not even advertising it blatantly!

Not at all I find your remarks insightful on the most part and I appreciate you for taking the time to write your opinions on the finer points. I think anyone who takes the time to familiarize themselves with our process realizes we make Honyaki exclusively. We try not to overstate our case. In a sense it seems that it would be like putting up a billboard stating "welcome to 4-wheel motors - the home of cars with 4 wheels" I guess we feel that most folks that choose our knives are either very aware of the facts or in for a good surprise :)

When somebody asks me about an opinion about a webshop, I try to play the "dumbest customer you could still want to do business with" ... not in order to be negative but to be able to point out what could be easily misunderstood by many.

Make it six wheels, if you advertise four everyone assumes you counted the steering wheel and spare tire anyway and there's two wheels missing ;)

When somebody asks me about an opinion about a webshop, I try to play the "dumbest customer you could still want to do business with" ... not in order to be negative but to be able to point out what could be easily misunderstood by many.

Make it six wheels, if you advertise four everyone assumes you counted the steering wheel and spare tire anyway and there's two wheels missing ;)

I realize there is no negativity there - no worries :) This is exactly why we started this thread and we appreciate the input. In fact, some of what is being discussed here has already been brought up with our programmers and we are working on making some of the options more friendly. Of course, when user interfaces are concerned there are many personal variations from user to user and how "they like to do things" hopefully the system, and the site as a whole is able to accommodate the majority of our customers needs and wants. And of course, personal communication always goes a long way to touch upon finer points and needs should those need to be formally addressed in the body of an order.

Hi Tesil,

1. The first thing I noticed when opening the page was a list of icons, smack in the middle of the page, with possible payment methods, Visa , mastercard... Since I have the honors of knowing you, and how 'not greedy/Capitalist oriented/do what you love', it really felt 'wrong', gives the site to much of a business corporate feel, and as I have suggested you are the epitome of the counter corporate culture. Not saying that being paid for quality is wrong, but I would put the list of icons in a subsequent page, after someone chooses to pay.
2. I feel that the balance of the front page could be better:
A. the Order/Customization feature is just REALLY cool, I would emphasis it more
B. The work the two of you make is both functionally amazing and artistically beautiful, more movies on the home page, let people see your art.
C. Exclusively, Attention to details, Made Just for you are grate 'Values' but the icons could be half size, they take too much real estate.
Possible solution: Make the Interactive Order 20% wider and 30% longer, Make the 'Value Icons' 60% smaller, this should free some space on the right side, then, make the Video 50% smaller, and add two more Videos below it.
3. I see that the 'Community/Collaboration' concept makes a lot of buzz, pass around, lottery of free samples (I think Dalman gave some Kiridashi knives)...would consider having 'Community highlight' maybe a thin bar at the bottom.
4. One of the things I really love about your approach was the 'Traditionality', and you reach that by a lot of research, travelling to Japan, learning Japanese to be able to communicate with local craftsmen - I would consider sharing with the community some of your insights / personal photos, help us get as excited as you are.

Love your work man, great site

Hi Tesil,

1. The first thing I noticed when opening the page was a list of icons, smack in the middle of the page, with possible payment methods, Visa , mastercard... Since I have the honors of knowing you, and how 'not greedy/Capitalist oriented/do what you love', it really felt 'wrong', gives the site to much of a business corporate feel, and as I have suggested you are the epitome of the counter corporate culture. Not saying that being paid for quality is wrong, but I would put the list of icons in a subsequent page, after someone chooses to pay.
2. I feel that the balance of the front page could be better:
A. the Order/Customization feature is just REALLY cool, I would emphasis it more
B. The work the two of you make is both functionally amazing and artistically beautiful, more movies on the home page, let people see your art.
C. Exclusively, Attention to details, Made Just for you are grate 'Values' but the icons could be half size, they take too much real estate.
Possible solution: Make the Interactive Order 20% wider and 30% longer, Make the 'Value Icons' 60% smaller, this should free some space on the right side, then, make the Video 50% smaller, and add two more Videos below it.
3. I see that the 'Community/Collaboration' concept makes a lot of buzz, pass around, lottery of free samples (I think Dalman gave some Kiridashi knives)...would consider having 'Community highlight' maybe a thin bar at the bottom.
4. One of the things I really love about your approach was the 'Traditionality', and you reach that by a lot of research, travelling to Japan, learning Japanese to be able to communicate with local craftsmen - I would consider sharing with the community some of your insights / personal photos, help us get as excited as you are.

Love your work man, great site

Thanks for the kind words Erez. Coming from you, they really mean a lot to us. I agree with most of what you say here and indeed we will take this constructive criticism under advisement. We are currently in the process of changing the look of the site and will definitely implement some of your suggestions. :)

Back