Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Our new and improved site is under construction - tells us what you would like to see there...

Quote Originally Posted by LifeByA1000Cuts View Post
    "deferentially heat treated (clayback process)"

Your treat he fact you make differentially heat treated blades too deferentially
    Yes....a typo, my apology :-)

I was more thinking of "there's a slider for the blade length, why not for the HRC too?"
    While o1 tool steel does offer a lower range of HRC we tend to keep our HRC around 62-64 along the cutting edge, and again - this is not an exact science it's done using traditional methods. Bear in mind that HRC, as Im sure you are aware is only part of the story regarding good blade steel, so it's a bit misleading in a way.

No issues with these options being mandatory (you make it clear enough in the FAQ that you're not in the knife parts business!), just unusual - it seems to be common for custom items in webshops that the first price the customer sees is that for the minimum configuration that can actually be bought...
    I fail to see how this is any different. Our "Standard grade" items are offered in our products section and represent exactly that: the minimum configuration that can actually be bought. The custom wizard allows you to choose a wider range of finishes and material upgrades and as such cost more + allows you to send us any further requests that are not offered explicitly, but may very well be entertained as plausible options to incorporate in your order. The wizard just makes it easier for folks to explore various options that we know are historically in demand and that we have on offer.

Oh, I wasn't trying to be nitpicky on orthography, I was amazed you are doing honyaki blades and not even advertising it blatantly!

Oh, I wasn't trying to be nitpicky on orthography, I was amazed you are doing honyaki blades and not even advertising it blatantly!
    Not at all I find your remarks insightful on the most part and I appreciate you for taking the time to write your opinions on the finer points. I think anyone who takes the time to familiarize themselves with our process realizes we make Honyaki exclusively. We try not to overstate our case. In a sense it seems that it would be like putting up a billboard stating "welcome to 4-wheel motors - the home of cars with 4 wheels" I guess we feel that most folks that choose our knives are either very aware of the facts or in for a good surprise

When somebody asks me about an opinion about a webshop, I try to play the "dumbest customer you could still want to do business with" ... not in order to be negative but to be able to point out what could be easily misunderstood by many.

Make it six wheels, if you advertise four everyone assumes you counted the steering wheel and spare tire anyway and there's two wheels missing

When somebody asks me about an opinion about a webshop, I try to play the "dumbest customer you could still want to do business with" ... not in order to be negative but to be able to point out what could be easily misunderstood by many.

Make it six wheels, if you advertise four everyone assumes you counted the steering wheel and spare tire anyway and there's two wheels missing
    I realize there is no negativity there - no worries This is exactly why we started this thread and we appreciate the input. In fact, some of what is being discussed here has already been brought up with our programmers and we are working on making some of the options more friendly. Of course, when user interfaces are concerned there are many personal variations from user to user and how "they like to do things" hopefully the system, and the site as a whole is able to accommodate the majority of our customers needs and wants. And of course, personal communication always goes a long way to touch upon finer points and needs should those need to be formally addressed in the body of an order.

Hi Tesil,

1. The first thing I noticed when opening the page was a list of icons, smack in the middle of the page, with possible payment methods, Visa , mastercard... Since I have the honors of knowing you, and how 'not greedy/Capitalist oriented/do what you love', it really felt 'wrong', gives the site to much of a business corporate feel, and as I have suggested you are the epitome of the counter corporate culture. Not saying that being paid for quality is wrong, but I would put the list of icons in a subsequent page, after someone chooses to pay.
    2. I feel that the balance of the front page could be better:
    A. the Order/Customization feature is just REALLY cool, I would emphasis it more
    B. The work the two of you make is both functionally amazing and artistically beautiful, more movies on the home page, let people see your art.
    C. Exclusively, Attention to details, Made Just for you are grate 'Values' but the icons could be half size, they take too much real estate.
    Possible solution: Make the Interactive Order 20% wider and 30% longer, Make the 'Value Icons' 60% smaller, this should free some space on the right side, then, make the Video 50% smaller, and add two more Videos below it.
    3. I see that the 'Community/Collaboration' concept makes a lot of buzz, pass around, lottery of free samples (I think Dalman gave some Kiridashi knives)...would consider having 'Community highlight' maybe a thin bar at the bottom.
    4. One of the things I really love about your approach was the 'Traditionality', and you reach that by a lot of research, travelling to Japan, learning Japanese to be able to communicate with local craftsmen - I would consider sharing with the community some of your insights / personal photos, help us get as excited as you are.

Love your work man, great site

Quote Originally Posted by erezj View Post
    Hi Tesil,

1. The first thing I noticed when opening the page was a list of icons, smack in the middle of the page, with possible payment methods, Visa , mastercard... Since I have the honors of knowing you, and how 'not greedy/Capitalist oriented/do what you love', it really felt 'wrong', gives the site to much of a business corporate feel, and as I have suggested you are the epitome of the counter corporate culture. Not saying that being paid for quality is wrong, but I would put the list of icons in a subsequent page, after someone chooses to pay.
    2. I feel that the balance of the front page could be better:
    A. the Order/Customization feature is just REALLY cool, I would emphasis it more
    B. The work the two of you make is both functionally amazing and artistically beautiful, more movies on the home page, let people see your art.
    C. Exclusively, Attention to details, Made Just for you are grate 'Values' but the icons could be half size, they take too much real estate.
    Possible solution: Make the Interactive Order 20% wider and 30% longer, Make the 'Value Icons' 60% smaller, this should free some space on the right side, then, make the Video 50% smaller, and add two more Videos below it.
    3. I see that the 'Community/Collaboration' concept makes a lot of buzz, pass around, lottery of free samples (I think Dalman gave some Kiridashi knives)...would consider having 'Community highlight' maybe a thin bar at the bottom.
    4. One of the things I really love about your approach was the 'Traditionality', and you reach that by a lot of research, travelling to Japan, learning Japanese to be able to communicate with local craftsmen - I would consider sharing with the community some of your insights / personal photos, help us get as excited as you are.

Love your work man, great site
    Thanks for the kind words Erez. Coming from you, they really mean a lot to us. I agree with most of what you say here and indeed we will take this constructive criticism under advisement. We are currently in the process of changing the look of the site and will definitely implement some of your suggestions.